StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Interesting. I wonder who's spot he takes in the lineup next week. Granlund was expected to be back sometime around then as well.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Sounds exactly like the kind of guy that I'd want centring JG, for his first year of professional hockey. Or a line of Ferland/Van Brabant/Ritchie....OUCH!

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
looks like the quote I showed everyone might be right so we could expect another signing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How many contracts are we at? Was he really that impressive in camp? This seems like an odd signing.
This puts us at 44 or 45 I think since the contracts of Sieloff, Kulak, Culkin, Kanzig, Klimchuk and Poirier do not count towards to limit of 50. Also if his contract is for next year and he signs an ATO his will also not count.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
this is the quote BTW

Apparently the Flames recently (i.e. within the last three weeks) ordered jersey nameplates for Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino, and two other guys (who I believe are college free agents). Obviously nothing official, but it looks like the Flames expect JG (and Arnold) will be donning Flames sweaters at some point in the near future...

Don't know if this qualifies as anything but take it for what it's worth...
The two college free agents were Bryce Van Babrant (who I understand was invited to Flames development camp last year) and somebody with a crazy last name I had never heard of. Looking at the list in the OP, I believe it is this guy:

D Scott Czarnowczan 5'10'' 176 lbs (Senior) 22yo
Stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123299
only trails van Riemsdyk in scoring among defensemen

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Really good PWF. I personally think he's tougher than Lucic, and now that he can fight in the NHL I'd like to see how he handles that. He has no problem using his size. You guys got a solid player. If he can develop an offensive game he's going to be great. If not, he'll be a good energy guy for your bottom lines.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Interesting. Flames have an absolute log-jam of these third-fourth line types though; and really not a lot in the top six. Interesting what happens this summer.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This puts us at 44 or 45 I think since the contracts of Sieloff, Kulak, Culkin, Kanzig, Klimchuk and Poirier do not count towards to limit of 50. Also if his contract is for next year and he signs an ATO his will also not count.

Interesting. Truculence for the Heat?

Nobody bothers reading the article anymore? :sarcasm:

Bryce Van Brabant, a bruising junior forward at Quinnipiac, will forgo his senior season to sign an NHL contract with the Calgary Flames, the Register has learned. The deal is for the maximum allowable rookie salary under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

It will also send him directly to the NHL.

Calgary is at Ottawa Sunday evening, and Van Brabant will meet the club there. But his debut is expected to come later in the week. The Flames are at Toronto on Tuesday, at Tampa Bay on Thursday and at Carolina on Friday. Several teams showed heavy interest and at least one other club, the Chicago Blackhawks, was prepared to send Van Brabant directly to the NHL, according to sources.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
"Several teams showed heavy interest and at least one other club, the Chicago Blackhawks, was prepared to send Van Brabant directly to the NHL, according to sources"

He must have decent game if the hawks were prepared to send him straight to the NHL

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
"Several teams showed heavy interest and at least one other club, the Chicago Blackhawks, was prepared to send Van Brabant directly to the NHL, according to sources"

He must have decent game if the hawks were prepared to send him straight to the NHL

If we beat out the Hawks with essentially the same offer, playing time promise, that goes to show how much respect the Flames have earned for working their ***** off every night all season long. Could prove useful in signing some big FAs to deals.

Anyways, excited to see this guy do his thing.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Interesting. Flames have an absolute log-jam of these third-fourth line types though; and really not a lot in the top six. Interesting what happens this summer.

With skill guys like Monahan, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Poirier, Klimchuk, perhaps Granlund and/or Arnold and eventually (hopefully) Jankowski battling (whomever we still have left, or sign.. PLUS who we draft i.e. Virtanen) for top-six playing time over the next few years, we have plenty of skill (though not necessarily size) there that I truly feel will rival many teams' top guns. It's with players like Bouwma, Reinhart, Byron, Agostino, Knight, Ferland, Jooris, etc. plus these two guys, a specific type of culture is being crafted in Calgary that I believe we're already seeing traces of this year, particularly with how well some of the younger guys have played. No team should win that isn't hungry, and there are no hungrier players than those fighting for spots. It's one thing to have a logjam of bottom-sixers if none of them have the potential to make an impact.. but with the success Abbotsford has had, and with what we've seen from the likes of Bouwma, and especially Byron -- who's seen more second-line duty than anything lately, and deservedly so -- and with major contributions from Big Ern and Westgarth of late, the message is being sent to these guys waiting in the wings that anything less than bringing something to the table game in and game out to help this team win will not be tolerated.. unlike in Edmonton, where no matter how much high-end skill they draft, they haven't been able to instil the work ethic in 6 years that Calgary has over the course of just one season. In the long run, I think it's the bottom-six types that come up hungry and bring the intangibles every night that help a team win as much as the much as the skill guys do.. and frankly, with the guys we have in the cupboard, I think our logjam is a wonderful 'problem' to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad