Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Austin Czarnik [2 years, $1.25M]

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I want to see Czarnik with Bennett and Janko, they can grow together and Czarnik is more of a playmaker than anything, so him getting the puck to Bennett and Janko should only help their numbers.

I want Bennett/Jankowski separated in the worst of ways. Not having another AHL (So far) type guy on their line... I just don't like the idea.
I like the idea of giving Benny the best linemates he's consistently had since Backs (Ryan + Frolik or Lindholm) and seeing if he can break out offensively. He tried carrying that 3rd line far too much this past season.
I like the idea of also giving Janko the 4th line, and seeing if he can run with it. I don't think he was ready for the 3C role last season, I'd like to see if he could chew up some 4C's. Giving him Czarnik and someone like Mangi could be a nasty 4th line that could actually be considered a 3rd line if things go well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I want Bennett/Jankowski separated in the worst of ways. Not having another AHL (So far) type guy on their line... I just don't like the idea.
I like the idea of giving Benny the best linemates he's consistently had since Backs (Ryan + Frolik or Lindholm) and seeing if he can break out offensively. He tried carrying that 3rd line far too much this past season.
I like the idea of also giving Janko the 4th line, and seeing if he can run with it. I don't think he was ready for the 3C role last season, I'd like to see if he could chew up some 4C's. Giving him Czarnik and someone like Mangi could be a nasty 4th line that could actually be considered a 3rd line if things go well.
Yeah we get it, you don't like Janko, but somehow still think Bennett can be something special. Face facts, they are basically equal.

And putting Mangiapane on the 4th line is simply wasting his development when he can play 20 minutes a night in Stockton

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I just don't see any logical spot for Bennett but that 3rd line. With Neal/Lindholm there is no need to shift one of Gaudreau or Tkachuk to the other wing. Bennett also won't supplant Monahan or Backlund at C.

So then you start looking at LW vs C options for the bottom six. We have Jankowski, Ryan and Bennett as options at C. The LW for our bottom six doesn't have many good options outside of Bennett though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah we get it, you don't like Janko, but somehow still think Bennett can be something special. Face facts, they are basically equal.

And putting Mangiapane on the 4th line is simply wasting his development when he can play 20 minutes a night in Stockton

I don't mind Jankowski actually. I just think those two shouldn't be near each other, because they weren't great with each other last year. I like the premise of improving the roster by playing the same duo that wasn't great together again next year.

I do think Bennett has a much higher ceiling than Jankowski. He's more puck dominant and quicker. I think Jankowski will be a good 3rd line C for Calgary, for a long time if things continue to progress.

As for Mangi, I'm fine with someone like Klimchuk as well, young, speedy with some skill. A non plug option. If they're put in a position to succeed, is all that matters. Literally 75-80% OZ starts/NZ starts; 4th line competition.

Essentially what I want to start is:

Gaudreau (19:30) - Monahan (19:00) - Lindholm (17:30)
Tkachuk (17:30) - Backlund (18:30) - Neal (16:30)
Bennett (15:00) - Ryan (14:00) - Frolik (15:00)
Klimchuk/Mangi (7:30) - Jankowski (10:00) - Czarnik (10:00)

Then move them up and down from there. If the 4th line is more dominant than the 3rd swap minutes. If you need to play Lindholm less, give him Ferland numbers; that's fine too... Chucky might need more minutes, take from elsewhere.

Hoping this is the season you can line up Monahan better without using the Backlund guard.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just don't see why they brought Ryan in to be the 4th line centre, when we know Peters really likes him (talks highly of him too).
I think it'll be more like having two 3rd lines, as I project the other line to be Frolik, Ryan and Briuwer. Whichever is having a better day will get more ice time. I think distribution of talent is something Peters wants to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad