Option A:
Giordano-Brodie
Jokipakka-Hamilton
Kulak-Engelland

Option B:
Giordano-Brodie
Kulak-Engelland
Grossmann-Hamilton

Just can't see why anyone would choose the latter option, especially given that Grossmann will play at most 12 minutes of very low expectation hockey where the entire basis of a successful night is him not replicating his performance against the Oilers in game one.

The first group is a solid, likely well above average defence core compared against the rest of the league. The latter looks like there's a bad case of food poisoning going around the lockerroom.

I'm assuming it'd be Jokipakka coming out because I don't see how Gulutzan could justify scratching Kulak or even breaking apart his pairing given how well they performed against the Sharks.

Hopefully it just Roger beings Millions, but if Grossmann does play and Gaudreau and Monahan are still playing together for ~20 minutes (particularly with Chiasson), I'm going have to start wondering whats wrong with Gulutzan. Trying to reinvent the wheel while at the same time, echoing the stubbornness of dinosaur coaches past is a bad mix.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Tbh I wish this sarcastic down playing of Monahan would stop. No one is saying he's an AHLer, I've only read people say he isn't playing well on the top line so maybe give him less ice time, and if his poor play is due to a lingering injury, then it makes more sense to give him less ice time or maybe even let him rest a little. I, for one, would like to see Bennett and Gaudreau together.

Also, I would hate to see Grossmann back in. I feel as though he's been outplayed by Kulak and Kevin so I see no real reason for him to come back in. Only reason would be physicality and that seems shoddy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tbh I wish this sarcastic down playing of Monahan would stop. No one is saying he's an AHLer, I've only read people say he isn't playing well on the top line so maybe give him less ice time, and if his poor play is due to a lingering injury, then it makes more sense to give him less ice time or maybe even let him rest a little. I, for one, would like to see Bennett and Gaudreau together.

Also, I would hate to see Grossmann back in. I feel as though he's been outplayed by Kulak and Kevin so I see no real reason for him to come back in. Only reason would be physicality and that seems shoddy
Actually someone did say he should be in the AHL and another person has repeatedly called him a 3rd liner. Most would agree he has struggled, but posts calling him a 3rd liner and the guy who called him an AHLer are completely out to lunch. We are mocking that garbage, not downplaying anything.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Actually someone did say he should be in the AHL and another person has repeatedly called him a 3rd liner. Most would agree he has struggled, but posts calling him a 3rd liner and the guy who called him an AHLer are completely out to lunch. We are mocking that garbage, not downplaying anything.

My bad, I must've missed the person saying he should be in the AHL but playing less may not be a bad idea. If he's playing injured, he should either rest or at least get less ice time. If he continues to struggle, why should he continue getting 17+ mins a game?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My bad, I must've missed the person saying he should be in the AHL but playing less may not be a bad idea. If he's playing injured, he should either rest or at least get less ice time. If he continues to struggle, why should he continue getting 17+ mins a game?
I don't think anyone would argue with that, in fact I myself suggest playing Gaudreau with Backlund and Frolik as the top line.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I see many many fingers pointing at Monahan yet little accountability is shown in Johnny's direction.

Johnny already has a -13 turnover ratio. Save for 1 game Johnny has been almost invisible. With his diminutive size there are few other things that you can measure him by. You can't say well he is laying the body and doing the right things. Johnny is a dynamic 1 dimensional offensive player and well that 1 dimension is not being shown right now.

His salary is tied for the highest on the team and he has done little to show he is progressing under the new system. Teams have figured out how to play him and the simple fact is he is not adapting to the strategies employed against him.

In the NHL Monahan has shown he can produce with other players but to this point Johnny hasn't.

It is past time to split these young guys up and get them both on the right track.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
another person has repeatedly called him a 3rd liner.

No I called him a #3 centre. There is a difference. A #3 center can still be a top six forward. For example Phil Kessel, Tomas Hertl, Patrick Sharp, and Alex Steen. These are technically natural centres, but they are not guys you want anchoring your top two lines as centre-icemen but they also are not 3rd liners. They are however players who can anchor third lines at centre in a pinch - but that is likely not the most efficient use of their skillsets. Monahan is a 3C but he still is a top line forward. The sooner we accept his limitations anchoring the middle the sooner we can play to his strengths instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Johnny already has a -13 turnover ratio. Save for 1 game Johnny has been almost invisible. With his diminutive size there are few other things that you can measure him by. You can't say well he is laying the body and doing the right things. Johnny is a dynamic 1 dimensional offensive player and well that 1 dimension is not being shown right now.
In the NHL Monahan has shown he can produce with other players but to this point Johnny hasn't.
giphy.gif

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I see many many fingers pointing at Monahan yet little accountability is shown in Johnny's direction.

His salary is tied for the highest on the team and he has done little to show he is progressing under the new system. Teams have figured out how to play him and the simple fact is he is not adapting to the strategies employed against him.

It is past time to split these young guys up and get them both on the right track.

Here we go againnn

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I wonder if playing Monahan with Tkachuk and maybe Brouwer or Ferland would get him more engaged in the cycle game?

At this point I think it's time to separate Gaudreau and Monahan (perhaps even overdue).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Last time Grossmann played, I was giving him serious benefit of the doubt and yet still found myself wishing he was off the ice every time he was on it, save for the penalty kill. He just can't avoid turnovers in the defensive end. He does a great job of defending, but he doesn't help the Flames stop defending.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Last time Grossmann played, I was giving him serious benefit of the doubt and yet still found myself wishing he was off the ice every time he was on it, save for the penalty kill. He just can't avoid turnovers in the defensive end. He does a great job of defending, but he doesn't help the Flames stop defending.
Somehow NHL.com says Grossmann has no giveaways this year :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, probably because giveaways is an iron-clad statistic that should be used in 100% of cases to form an argument. I will now change my opinion as a result. ;)
I legitimately found it funny, because at the very least that first turnover against the Oilers should have been scored a giveaway :laugh:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No I called him a #3 centre. There is a difference. A #3 center can still be a top six forward. For example Phil Kessel, Tomas Hertl, Patrick Sharp, and Alex Steen. These are technically natural centres, but they are not guys you want anchoring your top two lines as centre-icemen but they also are not 3rd liners. They are however players who can anchor third lines at centre in a pinch - but that is likely not the most efficient use of their skillsets. Monahan is a 3C but he still is a top line forward. The sooner we accept his limitations anchoring the middle the sooner we can play to his strengths instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole.

In a pinch Peter Worrell could be on a top PP unit. Notify me when the Flames acquire Evgeni Malkin so Monahan can hide on the checking line.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Can we just all agree, that somewhere in between SKrusty and OKG, there's truth :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can we just all agree, that somewhere in between SKrusty and OKG, there's truth :laugh:

Pretty much.
He's struggling this year, I don't think his offensive minutes are earned at this time. He is the worst defensive centre on the team by a mile right now, I really think they need to either give him a night off, or bring his minutes down significantly.

Right now, I feel better when Stajan is on the ice. And that is right ****ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad