GDT: Flames @ Sharks: 8:30pm MT - SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Based on Gulutzan severely overplaying Monahan thus far, it seems like it's more of a 'slump' than an injury thing. If Monahan's back was still bothering him, it'd be much likely Gulutzan would have eased him into things.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
No, since that would imply my opinion is extreme, when it is really just the Inconvenient Truth.

The following on this board used to be much stronger but if you don't subscribe to the party line there are several long time members that take it upon themselves to make sure the line is followed.

Right now neither Gaudreau or Monahan are playing to the level they should.

Thachuk has 1 less point than Johnny yet plays 8 minutes less a night and has significantly better underlying numbers.

It would be wise to split up Johnny and Sean.

Lines that would be interesting to look at would be:

Johnny Bennett Brouwer
Thachuk Monahan Chaisson
Klimchuck Backlund Frolik
Ferland Stajan Bouma

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The following on this board used to be much stronger but if you don't subscribe to the party line there are several long time members that take it upon themselves to make sure the line is followed.

Right now neither Gaudreau or Monahan are playing to the level they should.

Thachuk has 1 less point than Johnny yet plays 8 minutes less a night and has significantly better underlying numbers.

It would be wise to split up Johnny and Sean.

Lines that would be interesting to look at would be:

Johnny Bennett Brouwer
Thachuk Monahan Chaisson
Klimchuck Backlund Frolik
Ferland Stajan Bouma

What are you implying here, that at 18 years old Tkachuk is already on Johnny's level? Players do go cold, being a Flames fan, we should all know this. Iggy never got going until November, Crosby last was cold as heck until almost January last year.

I'm not against splitting them up either, but I'm not worried about the lack of production especially Johnny. Even just at WC, he looked like his teams best player.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
What are you implying here, that at 18 years old Tkachuk is already on Johnny's level? Players do go cold, being a Flames fan, we should all know this. Iggy never got going until November, Crosby last was cold as heck until almost January last year.

I'm not against splitting them up either, but I'm not worried about the lack of production especially Johnny. Even just at WC, he looked like his teams best player.

No, I am implying Johnny is currently playing below that of a rookie. Johnny is currently trending to exceed last year's -47 turnover ratio which was the worst of all forwards in the league.

The World Cup is not the NHL. There is far less physicality.

JG and Monahan have been part of one of the league's worst power play for over a year. At what point do the Flames change the only forwards to have played on the first pp?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, I am implying Johnny is currently playing below that of a rookie. Johnny is currently trending to exceed last year's -47 turnover ratio which was the worst of all forwards in the league.

The World Cup is not the NHL. There is far less physicality.

JG and Monahan have been part of one of the league's worst power play for over a year. At what point do the Flames change the only forwards to have played on the first pp?

Okay, and again I remember a time when Rene Bourque was outplaying Iginla as well. I still don't know what point you're trying to hammer home other than taking this opportunity to slam Johnny, again.

Gaudreau is by far and away our best offensive player. He scored at a PPG pace in only his 2nd season, what sense does it make to take your top scorer off a struggling PP? If the Flames final game of the season was tomorrow, I'd probably agree with you. But Gully is trying to get these guys going otherwise and let's face it, we have no shot at the playoffs.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay, and again I remember a time when Rene Bourque was outplaying Iginla as well. I still don't know what point you're trying to hammer home other than taking this opportunity to slam Johnny, again.

Gaudreau is by far and away our best offensive player. He scored at a PPG pace in only his 2nd season, what sense does it make to take your top scorer off a struggling PP? If the Flames final game of the season was tomorrow, I'd probably agree with you. But Gully is trying to get these going otherwise and let's face it, we have no shot at the playoffs.
The concept that Gaudreau plays against #1 defenders and Tkachuk plays against secondary and tertiary appears to be lost on him. The quality of defender more than makes up for the difference in playing time.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Gaudreau is by far and away our best offensive player. He scored at a PPG pace in only his 2nd season, what sense does it make to take your top scorer off a struggling PP? If the Flames final game of the season was tomorrow, I'd probably agree with you. But Gully is trying to get these going otherwise and let's face it, we have no shot at the playoffs.

SkRubbish' opinion sucks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The concept that Gaudreau plays against #1 defenders and Tkachuk plays against secondary and tertiary appears to be lost on him. The quality of defender more than makes up for the difference in playing time.

I think there's a group on this board that just goes against any and all decisions that the Flames make. And anyone who agrees with the Flames, this group takes it upon themselves to make sure everyone stays in line.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think there's a group on this board that just goes against any and all decisions that the Flames make. And anyone who agrees with the Flames, this group takes it upon themselves to make sure everyone stays in line.

Says the guy who didn't think Tkachuk was that good at the draft...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Says the guy who didn't think Tkachuk was that good at the draft...

Go and show me a post where I ever said Tkachuk was not that good? :laugh:

I still think Nylander and Keller might end up being better scorers. But I'll fully admit that I have enjoyed oh so much seeing Tkachuk and everything he's about. I'll admit one thing I think I was wrong about, Chucky is exactly what the Flames needed.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Go and show me a post where I ever said Tkachuk was not that good? :laugh:

I still think Nylander and Keller might end up being better scorers. But I'll fully admit that I have enjoyed oh so much seeing Tkachuk and everything he's about. I'll admit one thing I think I was wrong about, Chucky is exactly what the Flames needed.

It was more that you were all about Nylander/Kesler when clearly Tkachuk is a better player. There was a large group of people that didn't like the pick at the time. You can look at the Matt Tkachuk thread. A lot of people didn't like the pick and were calling him a bust and what not.

There was me and a few posters talking about how sick the pick was and the rest of our board was questioning it. People question management. It happens.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It was more that you were all about Nylander/Kesler when clearly Tkachuk is a better player. There was a large group of people that didn't like the pick at the time. You can look at the Matt Tkachuk thread. A lot of people didn't like the pick and were calling him a bust and what not.

There was me and a few posters talking about how sick the pick was and the rest of our board was questioning it. People question management. It happens.

I was thrilled when we got Tkachuk, I could not believe he fell to us (go back and look). I have always acknowledged he's a great player, and I said very early on that he's beast to try and contain below the dots. I didn't think he would have had the kind of physical impact he's having right now.

My point on Keller and Nylander was that the Flames are still lacking in high end skill and elite playmakers. I wasn't wrong, but where I think I was wrong is that Tkachuk brings a high level of skill but more importantly we needed to get touher to play against. I hate seeing us get pushed around by some teams and having a guy like that who can eventually play in your top 6 is invaluable.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
[...] this group takes it upon themselves to make sure everyone stays in line.
Holy moly dat psychological projection! Makes a slight reference to missing Byron, be critical of overcooking prospects or says engelland's not good and a wall of repetitive ******** pop up every time.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I was thrilled when we got Tkachuk, I could not believe he fell to us (go back and look). I have always acknowledged he's a great player, and I said very early on that he's beast to try and contain below the dots. I didn't think he would have had the kind of physical impact he's having right now.

My point on Keller and Nylander was that the Flames are still lacking in high end skill and elite playmakers. I wasn't wrong, but where I think I was wrong is that Tkachuk brings a high level of skill but more importantly we needed to get touher to play against. I hate seeing us get pushed around by some teams and having a guy like that who can eventually play in your top 6 is invaluable.

Ok looking back t that thread you weren't that down on Tkachuk. Some posters were though. And a lot of them we're the typical Bollig/Wideman/other garbage vet defenders.

As for disagreeing with management about Grossman.. I don't see how you cant find an issue with that. Kulak has been outstanding in his 4 games. Yet we are putting in some old, slow terrible guy in. Instead of a young guy that should be a top 4 D. How can you be okay with that? Grossman just isn't an NHL caliber player anymore yet he gets to play instead of one of our top prospects. There is an issue there. And our management shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. They've made a lot of stupid moves the last few years. Why did we even sign Grossman? Get rid of Smid, pickup Grossman? Like wtf?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Snipes, I wasn't being literal about my comment. Shots were fired at a "group", I responded.

I'd take Kulak over Grossman all day as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As a person who finds himself in the 'middle' of 'groups' :)laugh:) the truth is somewhere between.

drDT, who I still think needs to add that f to jump on the awesome charts, is right. There tends to be a mob mentality here; and especially a couple certain people who take it upon themselves to 'police' the board like they own it. A disagreement means this person is stupid, they post stupid things, 'I can't take them seriously', or 'oh not this again, give it a rest'.

People can disagree with others, but we really, really don't have much discussion about the team itself anymore :laugh:. I remember when I was first getting into this forum, Huds and I seemed to disagree on almost everything this team was doing :laugh: we ranted at each other, but he was a good dude to have on the board for me. The reality ended up being somewhere between him and I, I was right on things, and wrong on others, he was right on things, and wrong on others (example, I nailed the **** value of the Bouw/Iggy trades, he nailed the Monahan draft). But that was hours of good discussion, even if at the time I was like 'man this ****ing guy' :laugh:

We've chased off a number of posters from CFHF over the years, not a lot of people feel like being attacked at everything they post; if their points are counter-cool-aid. Not saying they're correct, but there are posters here who really go after people and make it really not fun for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad