GDT: Flames @ Sens Mar. 8 - One Pesky Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This better be a lesson to them to never ever coast in a game again. (Fat chance, one can hope though)

Always always always always keep pumping the goals in. No matter the lead being 7-0.

The thing is - our defense didn't coast... the Pageau line didn't coast... Legwand line got almost no time for some reason??

It's those top 2 lines - they coasted and then suddenly that got Gryba/Boro in trouble because they handle the puck like a grenade.

Yeah - Methot/Karlsson were on the ice for that last goal but it was a set play off a lost defensive zone faceoff thanks to Gryba/Boro being unable to get the puck out - forcing Anderson to freeze.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Embarrassing to say the least, but maybe there is a silver lining. Hopefully both, Cameron and the team, learned a valuable lesson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2 points is 2 points, but that's probably the least satisfying 2 points we've earned in ages.

Well, it was about 45-50 mins of good hockey, followed by about 8 mins of a gong show. I mean, we deserved to be up 4 nothing, and they got back into it on a pretty flooky bounce. Young teams get rattled, this was a learning experience.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-08%20at%209.56.03%20PM.png

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Definitely for the sake of team confidence and their play around him Hammond has to go back in against the Bruins.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The Anti-Anderson sentiment around here is hilarious.

Team stops skating and gives up 24 shots in a period and people are looking for blood on the goalie and not the 20 guys who did nothing in front of him in that period.

Andy was great.

Although I would still like to see Hammond get Boston, and them split the back to back.

Hammond earned a chance.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
The Anti-Anderson sentiment around here is hilarious.

Team stops skating and gives up 24 shots in a period and people are looking for blood on the goalie and not the 20 guys who did nothing in front of him in that period.

That's not the point, Anderson did play great but having our defense get unsettled in front of Anderson is a recurring theme. I pointed this out back when Lehner was fighting for a spot and I'm seeing it again.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
The thing is - our defense didn't coast... the Pageau line didn't coast... Legwand line got almost no time for some reason??

It's those top 2 lines - they coasted and then suddenly that got Gryba/Boro in trouble because they handle the puck like a grenade.

Yeah - Methot/Karlsson were on the ice for that last goal but it was a set play off a lost defensive zone faceoff thanks to Gryba/Boro being unable to get the puck out - forcing Anderson to freeze.

The coasting comment was for the top two lines. I can't honestly think the last time I was this annoyed with the Z-Bad line as I'm a huge fan of the line. But what they did there was unacceptable. Same with the Turris line. Stop coasting. Keep pushing. Keep pounding.

And for gods sakes, play like you did with Hammond in net defensively. No wonder Murray came down after Hammond's win and ripped them for not playing like that for Lehner. Ridiculous.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Suprising stat of the night. Ottawa currently has more points than the Dallas Stars.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
A loss would have been almost better to remind the team that you can't take shifts off against ANY team, let alone a team like the Flames who have made comebacks their thing.

Oh yeah, no more laughing on the bench when you don't score a goal. You're not near good enough to laugh off anything in a game yet.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Would've been biggest embarrassment if we lost game.

Ye.. But they were terrific the first 2 periods and overtime.
They were complacent in the 3rd and didn't seem to be prepared
for Calgary taking it up to another gear.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
That's not the point, Anderson did play great but having our defense get unsettled in front of Anderson is a recurring theme. I pointed this out back when Lehner was fighting for a spot and I'm seeing it again.

Anderson is very calm compared to lehner, Elliott, Gerber and Leclaire. Can't remember auld though lol He just seems very light on his feet and gets knocked sown easy from contact. He doesnt get thrown out of position as easily as the others though

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hopefully when we own a team for 2 periods we decide not to trap next time.

Whatever it is we saw in the 3rd period, it certainly wasn't trap hockey. The game would never have gone to a shootout if we had played trap hockey. Teams don't give up 24 shots in a single period when they're playing trap hockey.

I mean, maybe playing the trap was their INTENTION, but playing the trap involves effort and dedication. It involves playing together. It involves smart decisions and a strong system. I didn't see any of that in the 3rd.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This Bruins game is going to be great. Most important game of the year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
trapping wasnt a problem. chasing the puck and playing with no urgency was

No, traping was a big part of the problem. We put zero pressure on them as they brought the puck up ice instead opting to line up at the blueline. They were able to enter the zone with speed and that's why we ended up chasing the puck. With a 4 goal lead, sure you play safe, but take the game to them, don't sit back like that. No good comes from it.

utah

Apr 12, 2006
We all know that hockey is a game of momentum, and that's exactly what happened tonight....with a team that believes in its ability to come back.

Lucky goal to get it to 4-1.....and then the adrenaline kicked in.

That only thing I didn't like was the Sens sitting back playing prevent defense. That rarely works against a team that has all the momentum on their side.

But...it ended well, sparing the team an embarrassing loss.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Ye.. But they were terrific the first 2 periods and overtime.
They were complacent in the 3rd and didn't seem to be prepared
for Calgary taking it up to another gear.

I think the turning point was Calgary's penalty kill late in the second.

We only had a couple chances after that, and Calgary had plenty. We also had much worse sustained time in the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad