Post-Game Talk: Flames @ senators- march 8th- battle of the pesky

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It seemed a lot of people were complaining about Gryba and Boro, but according to the NHL stats they were +3 and +2 repectively. Methot and Karlsson were the only negatives on the team -2 and -1 respectively.

They folded in the third period and were exposed because our top 2 lines coasted.

They were the only defensive pairing on our team who had a negative shot (and shot attempt) differential at ES in the game.
You can add Cody Ceci to the list for all situations - like PK but if you do - Gryba/Boro get much worse than Ceci/Methot.
They could not clear the puck in that third period. We dominated the first 2 periods. Boro got a goal off the hard work of our forwards.
They still had a horribly negative differential.

Methot - Karlsson were on the ice for that flukey first goal that bounced over Anderson's pads. The second goal (they were on the ice for) came right off a lost face off - a faceoff that was forced after sustained pressure against... Gryba-Boro.
As soon as our forwards stopped skating - Gryba-Boro were exposed. The other two pairings managed to bang the puck out, get it deep occasionally.

It's not their fault they seem to only be #6/#7 guys but it's painful to watch.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Again... This comeback was a great deal on Calgary. They were ferocious. Ottawa did not let up nearly as much as Calgary came on. In my opinion. Calgary is a very relentless team. Credit to them fully.

And in the end we won. Hope Calgary makes the playoffs. They deserved the point.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Again... This comeback was a great deal on Calgary. They were ferocious. Ottawa did not let up nearly as much as Calgary came on. In my opinion. Calgary is a very relentless team. Credit to them fully.

And in the end we won. Hope Calgary makes the playoffs. They deserved the point.

I was thinking a lot about this on the way home

How do you tell the difference between the team coasting and the other team having a solid pushback?

I was at the bar so I wasn't paying full attention but it looked like the team started slowing down at the end of the second: they were trying all sorts of silly, fancy moves and plays

I do agree that the team got back to being much more serious once it was 4-3

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
on february 10th we were 14 pts behind boston. Now we're 5 pts back.
so a 10-1-2 run has got us about 2/3 the way there. We still need 5-6 more wins than losses the rest of the way.

No one has done us any favours lately and Boston has won 4 in a row. We're at the same point we were 5 or so games ago. Boston lucked out against Philly thanks to a late borderline call by the refs. It's also hard to believe Detroit didn't purposely start their backup goalie against them and the team took a day off.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good grief....what the heck happened in the third? Watching the highlights the guys looked brain dead in our zone.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
They got a lesson in protecting a lead, and they still got 2 points. Best of both worlds!

Though the ROW would have been nice.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

How do you tell the difference between the team coasting and the other team having a solid pushback?

I was at the bar so I wasn't paying full attention but it looked like the team started slowing down at the end of the second: they were trying all sorts of silly, fancy moves and plays

To me it looked like we didn't really press on the forecheck unless Calgary left an opening through the neutral zone. If there was no opening we didn't really even try to sustain offensive zone pressure.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

At the game. It was like well over 40 shots each team. I was thinking it was not bad D by either team. Or based on goaltending. This was two hungry, fast, good teams on winning streaks going mano a mano. Great play for both teams... Nearly to a man. Both teams. Some bad goals... Kinda on a way... But from relentless play on both sides... A good hockey game. Entertaining. Exciting. Teams playing to win. Loved it.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If that was Lehner in nets for this game, omg the crying in here would be unbearable.

I promised the hockey gods when it turned into 4-3 that if the sens found a way to get two points I would listen to another Justin Bieber song from start - finish. (IS THIS SOME SICK JOKE?)

If this team wants to make the playoffs they will need #beastmode Andy.. . . Not Hammond, and sadly not Lehner at this time.

Also, Flame fans are really classy it was really hard to chirp them,, but can't say i'm classy from some of the stuff I did. but w.e GO SENS GO.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
If that was Lehner in nets for this game, omg the crying in here would be unbearable.

I promised the hockey gods when it turned into 4-3 that if the sens found a way to get two points I would listen to another Justin Bieber song from start - finish. (IS THIS SOME SICK JOKE?)

If this team wants to make the playoffs they will need #beastmode Andy.. . . Not Hammond, and sadly not Lehner at this time.

Also, Flame fans are really classy it was really hard to chirp them,, but can't say i'm classy from some of the stuff I did. but w.e GO SENS GO.

Oh, there was lots of crying....

Sens fans are always "What have you done for me lately?" with our goalies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It was nice that this team stepped back and let Andy who hasn't played a game in more than a month face 20+ shots in the 3rd period. It was very generous of them. Just a nice way to treat your #1 goaltender. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would honestly smack each and every one of them if i was Anderson.

I give credit to the Flames for pushing back. They are not just called the comeback kings for ***** and giggles. Still though, that was pathetic.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I called when it was 3-0 that we would win in OT 4-3. Close enough!

I trust the Sens more when they lose than when they win and it's not even funny. This team cant hold a lead it's been going on since last year.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Was at the game too! What a game, so exciting. Great crowd, including the RSU and their relentless "ooh aah Silfverberg" chants!

The first two periods were so good it felt at points like they were toying with Calgary. Then the tide turned... I think they just ran out of gas. Don't know how much that flu is still affecting some of the guys. I thought Karlsson in particular was fairly ordinary (mind you, an ordinary Karlsson is still pretty good). Not sure what happened with Ryan missing most of OT, I should go read the GDT I guess.

The guy who impressed me the most: Pageau. Relentless, annoying, smart, fast, he showed so much. Works well with Condra too. Lazar is a bit of the weak link there, but he knows his role and it's simply a matter of time and growth with him.

Puempel is snake-bitten, almost scored again, but this time the post stopped him. But that penalty was baaad.

I thought Anderson was actually pretty good. Looked unbeatable during the first two periods.

Next game against Boston, like Bonk said I want Cowen back in, maybe for Boro. I also want Greening in for Puempel. I hope MacArthur is going to be back soon to take care of that rotating LW spot for good.

Now allow me to go play with my brand new Karlsson bobble head doll. :D

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Was at the game too! What a game, so exciting. Great crowd, including the RSU and their relentless "ooh aah Silfverberg" chants!

The first two periods were so good it felt at points like they were toying with Calgary. Then the tide turned... I think they just ran out of gas. Don't know how much that flu is still affecting some of the guys. I thought Karlsson in particular was fairly ordinary (mind you, an ordinary Karlsson is still pretty good). Not sure what happened with Ryan missing most of OT, I should go read the GDT I guess.

The guy who impressed me the most: Pageau. Relentless, annoying, smart, fast, he showed so much. Works well with Condra too. Lazar is a bit of the weak link there, but he knows his role and it's simply a matter of time and growth with him.

Puempel is snake-bitten, almost scored again, but this time the post stopped him. But that penalty was baaad.

I thought Anderson was actually pretty good. Looked unbeatable during the first two periods.

Next game against Boston, like Bonk said I want Cowen back in, maybe for Boro. I also want Greening in for Puempel. I hope MacArthur is going to be back soon to take care of that rotating LW spot for good.

Now allow me to go play with my brand new Karlsson bobble head doll. :D

My Karlsson Bobble Head is between my autographed photos of Rocket Richard and Bobby Hull (on an Ottawa Nationals WHA Program).

This was a super win. Don't get tied up in the 4 3rd period goals. We won. We held finally once they tied it and held strong and won OT and the shootout.

Win baby! I have rarely been excited as a 20 year Sens fan in the regular season like I am now. 19 more games! Wow! Lots more time to catch up. No more trade deadline. Lets get behind our team! All of them. No weak links I see. Everyone has been pulling their weight for quite awhile now.

Everyone get behind our team!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
6421-michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Me as I prepare to read the GDT from the end of the 2nd period on.

Dis gon' be gud.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A bunch of classy fans over here. I hope you guys make the playoffs. Was hoping we'd get the 2 points after our epic 3rd period comeback, but I'll take the point. 1 > 0.

I freakin' hate the Bruins' fans, so please do.

utah

Apr 12, 2006
Once the third period collapse was out of the way, the Sens settled down and played better in OT.

I give them credit, for gutting out a shootout win. They had to come from behind to do it, and there are a couple of huge goals scored in the shootout to keep them alive.

Sens were great for two periods, collapsed under the pressure of Flames who were riding a huge wave of momentum in the third, but rallied in the shootout to win.

A loss would have been one thing, but there were still lots of positives to take from the win....and a win, is a win.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Honestly though, as much as this game was a **** show, I'm glad we got the two points. Beating Calgary this season is no easy feat, and the boys surely learned their lesson about letting their foot off the pedal for even one single shift.

From now on, it's balls to the wall if they want to make the playoffs.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Our total win record is 30-23-11. We are 8-1-1 in our last 10 games.

We have a +11 goal differential right now.

Minus that bad collapse, things are looking pretty good right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad