GDT: Flames @ Red Wings, Nov 20 5:30 PM MT, SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Win Column! Put it in there

Great game from the bottom 6 especially. I think Ferland is more effective playing with those guys and with the limited ice time TBH

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Pretty good win. Flames get the the last laugh in the Joe. They worked hard. Lets get another W in Buffalo.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What an excellent game by the Flames.
Owned the puck, out-chanced, outplayed the Wings are were really physical. That's a perfect road game, tbh.

Only the BBM was brutalized in that regard :laugh: Wideman and TJ as well. You don't want to change much because the team is winning, but Wideman and Engelland have to be burnt at least once a game...

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I watched the game in fast forward. Man, who needs Paul Byron? Our guys were flying! So were there's, though...

Anyway, the Mantha goal was pretty bad on the part of Engelland and Monahan. Mony was covering no one, and showed no urgency to come and meet Mantha on the open side. That's your guy, Monadude! Not a good look.

Backlund/Frolik/Tkachuk is our current #1 line. Beauties, one and all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I watched the game in fast forward. Man, who needs Paul Byron? Our guys were flying! So were there's, though...

Anyway, the Mantha goal was pretty bad on the part of Engelland and Monahan. Mony was covering no one, and showed no urgency to come and meet Mantha on the open side. That's your guy, Monadude! Not a good look.

Backlund/Frolik/Tkachuk is our current #1 line. Beauties, one and all.

The Tkachuk/Backlund/Frolik line is easy the #1 line in Calgary right now (even minutes wise). They generate the most amount of time in the offensive zone, they cycle well, all three of them have IQ off the charts. I mean, it's not optimal having that as our #1... but this team reminds me of the Coyotes of 5 years back or so. Offence was just heavy and spent zone time, the backend generated a lot; and they won a lot of one-goal games in low scoring affairs.

We're in a weird place too, where the 4th line is actually more effective than the 3rd line. Our third line, might be most ugly trio in the league for a third line :laugh:, but they chipped in tonight, and that's all that matters. Our 4th line all season has been fantastic; one of the best league wide. I'd like to see them move up to about the 10 minutes a night mark, because all they do is generate.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Wideman and TJ as well. You don't want to change much because the team is winning, but Wideman and Engelland have to be burnt at least once a game...
We don't really have a choice, though. It's ideal to have 3 L-R pairs and Jokipakka isn't any better. Their contracts are almost over and hopefully they won't replace them with more vets.

Brodie-Wideman does bother me but I sure as hell don't want to break up Gio-Hamilton.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We don't really have a choice, though. It's ideal to have 3 L-R pairs and Jokipakka isn't any better. Their contracts are almost over and hopefully they won't replace them with more vets.

Brodie-Wideman does bother me but I sure as hell don't want to break up Gio-Hamilton.

That Gio/Hamilton pair has been excellent, that goes without saying.

I'm not sure if it's Brodie that's struggling just because the year he's had so far, or if he's struggling because he's carrying around 200 lbs of glacier quick defensive partner with him. Same goes for Kulak, Engelland handles pucks like grenades; Kulak doesn't get the most amount of OZFO% among our D (4th) and yet has the second best possession numbers.

You like it because we're winning and playing well, you don't like it because you see the major flaws that are going to hurt us down the stretch.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
3rd time this season that's happened, Buffalo and Arizona were the other times I believe.
We're also 6-1-1 in 1 goal games this season.

Mainly by being so bad at scoring on empty nets haha.

Flames have been looking much better lately. I can't wait for Monahan to wake up though. He has to be injured.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
yeah the Brodie-Wideman pairing is like a dam with a tiny crack that's only letting out a tiny stream of water but it's only a matter of time until it whipes out 5 villages

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I can't help but think a top six of

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak-Brodie
Jokipakka-Nakladal

Would outperform what we've got right now. At 5-on-5 AND both sides of special teams.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I can't help but think a top six of

Giordano-Hamilton
Kulak-Brodie
Jokipakka-Nakladal

Would outperform what we've got right now. At 5-on-5 AND both sides of special teams.

I don't think Nakladal is better than Engelland.

Jokipakka - Engelland is just fine

Dang guys, you need to let go of the minor role players we dropped. They didn't and wouldn't do anything now to contribute significantly to our line up

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't think Nakladal is better than Engelland.

Jokipakka - Engelland is just fine

Dang guys, you need to let go of the minor role players we dropped. They didn't and wouldn't do anything now to contribute significantly to our line up

Wrong. Jokipakka-Nakladal was a better pairing than Jokipakka-Engelland for reasons of complimentary skillsets. Nakladal would also be a boon to the power play with his hard accurate rifle, without being a liability like Wideman. Kulak-Engelland is a good pairing but it keeps Kulak on the third pair when ostensibly he and Brodie could be an extremely interesting pair just like Giordano-Hamilton. We would finally have two pairs that can defend, move the puck, skate, and read the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad