Flames prospect Topi Ronni accused of rape charges in Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If you make the investigation take long enough you can sabotage any case.

It just sucks that the victims in these cases can see it drag on for years and have road blocks to trying to get past it. And for what? The abuser getting punished doesn’t actually change what happened. Not surprising most cases don’t get reported.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hockey is secondary here but it sucks alot for the Flames that they didnt have a 1st round pick and only had 3 picks in the 2022 draft.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'm a bit confused though, I found this quoute from Topi:

"Today, I have received a summons application related to the matter. The last two or so years have been hard waiting for the matter to progress. I trust that the related course of events will be clarified in connection with the trial. For the time being, I'm out of the team's activities and I'm focusing on handling the matter ," says Rönni.

It sounds like he was accused 2 years ago and thats when the investigation happened, if so then you gotta ask:

Why did the Flames draft this guy? I get innocent until proven guilty but an accusation like that is a red flag and a risk not needed for any team looking to invest a high pick. Teams have passed on draft eligible players for far less reasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

"Today, I have received a summons application related to the matter. The last two or so years have been hard waiting for the matter to progress. I trust that the related course of events will be clarified in connection with the trial. For the time being, I'm out of the team's activities and I'm focusing on handling the matter ," says Rönni.

It sounds like he was accused 2 years ago and thats when the investigation happened, if so then you gotta ask:

Why did the Flames draft this guy? I get innocent until proven guilty but an accusation like that is a red flag and a risk not needed for any team looking to invest a high pick. Teams have passed on draft eligible players for far less reasons.
I’m kinda surprised it came out now either way. Finland doesn’t have youth justice act or whatever it’s called?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Given I can’t read the language in that article, and because I don’t know anything about this, I am not going to form any opinions other than I hope the truth comes out and everyone gets what they deserve. Awful if true
That’s all you can hope for. That there is enough evidence to support the truth of what happened.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really been a fun couple years as a Flames fan. I'm having a great time.

They obviously didn't know. No police force in the world is calling NHL teams to let them know about a minor's charges before a draft. Ronni not disclosing it is kind of shit, but these are 17 or 18 year old teenagers we're talking about.

Last edited:

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
topi-ronni-2022-1187.jpg

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
They obviously didn't know. No police force in the world is calling NHL teams to let them know about a minor's charges before a draft.
Yeah, even his team in Finland had no idea until this week. Also @UrbanImpact

This is pretty big news here right now since just two weeks ago another Finnish hockey player from another team was convicted of rape. And even in that case the team learned about the issue only after a reporter called the teams GM once the coming court proceedings were public. That's much more baffling to me.

This is what I'm wondering. Under The Youth Criminal Justice Act in Canada, his name would be banned from publication. Finland must have more transparency in their laws.
I'm not aware that we would have this kind of law. Probably not at least for these cases where the person in question is already an adult, even if the offence was done as a minor.

In any case Rönni himself came forward to the team about this (although only after some media reports and definitely not two years ago) and I'm sure they had his approval for publishing the name.

The information about the charges had already reached media, who did not publish the name but gave some crucial details: like the player in question had recently played in Finland's U20 squad and had also gotten some games in the highest level league. So naturally people were speculating a lot on social media and local message boards, looking for people who fit that description and so on. So I guess they thought it's better to just come forward with the information at this point, if only to shields innocent players from speculation.

Also, the unfolding of the other Finnish players rape conviction two weeks ago was not a pretty sight to see and his team got a lot of flack for not publishing and reacting to the information sooner (they initially only suspended him for a game, now after the conviction he's naturally gone from the team) . So probably this also affected the decision to come forward.

Edit: added / clarified some bits.

Last edited:

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
Another girl looking for a payout what’s new lol
Dude, this guy is definitely not rich and even if he was, Finland does not have a legal system that awards big paydays to rape victims from the convicted. Once the police is investigating you can't settle it outside a court anymore, after that it's up to the police and the prosecutor. You also can't sue for that in a civil court in Finland and in criminal courts's decisions the reparations to the victim for mental damages are usually like 5.000-10.000 euros. Not a very big payout if you ask me and definitely not worth it. Maybe think and do some research before posting something this stupid.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It just sucks that the victims in these cases can see it drag on for years and have road blocks to trying to get past it. And for what? The abuser getting punished doesn’t actually change what happened. Not surprising most cases don’t get reported.

This is literally true of every criminal case ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad