Proposal: Flames - Pitt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bennett is far from highly coveted.

He's just a guy, that teams have 10 of in their bottom six/AHL team.

He's averaged 25 points the past 4 seasons. litteraly the definition of replacement level.

Come on, now. He's not replacement level. Out of the guys who dressed for the Pens in the playoffs, I'd take him above anything we had in the bottom six minus Hornqvist.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Brodie is an unrestricted free agent and he's 30 years old .
Rutherford would likely rather have the younger Hanifin 23 years old. 4 years 4,950,000 per remaining on on his current deal.
Yes he would rather but hoping for one thing and getting another is a different story ...

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Calling it a “blow up” in my 2nd sentence should probably answer that question for you...tough look needing to ask that or very poor troll attempt.

Either way what a waste of time responding to this was
Murray is better than both the flames goalies by a mile....obviously sticking to what you have didn't work ..

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Murray is better than both the flames goalies by a mile....obviously sticking to what you have didn't work ..
A) They’re both cheaper than Murray.
B) Talbot (.916), Murray (.914), Rittich (.907) career SV% certainly doesn’t support Murray being “better than both the Flames goalies by a mile”.
C) How was that trip to the future where you were able to see sticking to Talbot/Rittich doesn’t work out?

Murray really doesn’t move the needle enough to justify moving assets for him.

Reactions: Mazatt and Nanuuk

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
A) They’re both cheaper than Murray.
B) Talbot (.916), Murray (.914), Rittich (.907) career SV% certainly doesn’t support Murray being “better than both the Flames goalies by a mile”.
C) How was that trip to the future where you were able to see sticking to Talbot/Rittich doesn’t work out?

Murray really doesn’t move the needle enough to justify moving assets for him.
Murray obviously has a winning pedigree. He manu goalies in the NHL actually have 2 cup rings right now ??? How many do the flames goalies have combined? He would instantly improve the goaltending and bring a winning culture there...if you " really" think those 2 can get the flames over the top then have at her !!!!ahha..there are teams who are gonna pay for murray ...

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Murray obviously has a winning pedigree. He manu goalies in the NHL actually have 2 cup rings right now ??? How many do the flames goalies have combined? He would instantly improve the goaltending and bring a winning culture there...if you " really" think those 2 can get the flames over the top then have at her !!!!ahha..there are teams who are gonna pay for murray ...
Well you keep evaluating players by team accolades. I’m sure that will go well for you hahah

I never said Talbot/Rittich will push the Flames over the bar. They need to fix much more than the goaltending to get pushed over the top. Murray doesn’t move the needle enough (if at all) to justify spending cap that could be used elsewhere

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Bennett is not going anywhere. People wanted to trade him when he was playing wing. He had an excellent playoffs as a centre and he was hurt too. He finally becoming the player we had imagined. He reminds me of Backlund. It took him a while to develop as a centre and many wanted him gone. But the Flames were patient and he became exactly what we hoped he would. Benny is here to stay.

I would have interest in Murray. But not at the expense of Bennett. I think big changes are coming this offseason so if we get some picks I would flip one and maybe Rittich or Kylington for Murray.

LOL ...Rittich is worse than Murray. Alot worse. So all the sudden Bennett is legit due to one playoff series. Stop. He has been a bust since he got to the NHL. Outside a 36 point season his first full year with the Flames, he hasn't hit 30. He is a 23-point player his last four years.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
LOL ...Rittich is worse than Murray. Alot worse. So all the sudden Bennett is legit due to one playoff series. Stop. He has been a bust since he got to the NHL. Outside a 36 point season his first full year with the Flames, he hasn't hit 30. He is a 23-point player his last four years.
Playoff Sam Bennett absolutely exists. Actually kind of glad he hasn’t been great in the regular season as his cap hit stays low. His game just naturally excels more in the grittier playoffs rather than the more heavily penalized regular season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Bennett is not going anywhere. People wanted to trade him when he was playing wing. He had an excellent playoffs as a centre and he was hurt too. He finally becoming the player we had imagined. He reminds me of Backlund. It took him a while to develop as a centre and many wanted him gone. But the Flames were patient and he became exactly what we hoped he would. Benny is here to stay.

I would have interest in Murray. But not at the expense of Bennett. I think big changes are coming this offseason so if we get some picks I would flip one and maybe Rittich or Kylington for Murray.
Murray sucks. Why would we want him? Sub .900 save percentage barely is an AHL goalie. I have no interest in paying him for what he did 3 years ago.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Damn $2.50?
He won't get more Pittsburgh will give a qualifying offer of 1,250,000 to retain McCann's rights
McCann will likely reject the offer .
Pittsburgh will likely have to pay him at least 2,000,000 + per / 2,500.000 per depending on the length of the contract . They also might just retain his rights with plans to trade him.

Last edited:

RSPens

May 25, 2015

Just thought I would point out that for most of the playoffs Lucic was taking the draws as the centreman and even when they tried moving players around Bennett was still basically on the wing...at least that's what I saw

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Just thought I would point out that for most of the playoffs Lucic was taking the draws as the centreman and even when they tried moving players around Bennett was still basically on the wing...at least that's what I saw
Bennett had torn his triceps muscle in the Winnipeg series which explains why Looch was taking face-offs.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Bennett had torn his triceps muscle in the Winnipeg series which explains why Looch was taking face-offs.
Which is understandable, but to say that he did well in the playoffs because he was a centre is just false.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Ah, no it is not. Bennett's game improved tremendously when he played at centre and this was immediately evident. Even if he wasn't taking face-offs he was playing centre. I look forward to seeing him there next season.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Ah, no it is not. Bennett's game improved tremendously when he played at centre and this was immediately evident. Even if he wasn't taking face-offs he was playing centre. I look forward to seeing him there next season.
I'm happy either way, but I would really like to see him in Pittsburgh. He would be a great fit as either the third line centre or as the other flank for TB and Tanev. My thinking for Calgary is that at this point the playoffs are not a given for them, so having a player that does virtually nothing in the regular season just to show up in the playoffs, doesn't really help them.

For the people that don't think Murray is a better goalie than the Calgary duo, look at the defense of both teams. Calgary has a very strong defensive core and they don't have the glaring weakness of Sully playing JJ and Schultz. Not to mention that Letang is rarely ever a good defensive defenseman, Pettersson gets hit more than almost any other (meaning he doesn't move the puck quickly), and Marino was a rookie (which means occasional rookie mistakes). Dumo is the only decent defensive guy that the Pens have, but he also has to cover for Letang's miscalculations. Also for some reason the team just doesn't play good team defense in front of Murray, the forwards either didn't come back enough, or would come back too far and not cover the trailer. Murray does have a weak glove hand, but overall he is the better goalie in Pittsburgh. With a strong defensive team in front of him Murray would have a very strong season.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Bennett is a natural C and the Flames have mishandled his development from the start by moving him up and down the line-up as a LW and RW. He plays a north/south game at C and finally looks like he's arrived. He just turned 24, is on a cheap contract (for now) and is a part of the Flames future.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Bennett is a natural C and the Flames have mishandled his development from the start by moving him up and down the line-up as a LW and RW. He plays a north/south game at C and finally looks like he's arrived. He just turned 24, is on a cheap contract (for now) and is a part of the Flames future.
I don't disagree with you on this at all. However in February and June he was the #1 guy most likely to be traded out of Calgary. I know that he was great against the Jets and Dallas, but is that enough? If he feels like the Flames mishandled his development, does he want to stay? Does Calgary need players to help them make the playoffs? or do they need players that play well in the playoffs? A playoff performer is not going to help if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

I can accept that the fans really don't want him to be traded at this point, but it would not surprise me if he was, especially if there is a chance that they lose him in the expansion draft.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary fans have been gritting their teeth about where Sam should play in the line-up for years. Some feel he had his shot at C and blew it. Others feel the four different coaches he has had (Hartley, Gulutzan, Peters, Ward) and the different asks of him (LW/RW, different lines) hurt his play. Most are mildly surprised at his performance at 3C and feel that the log jam at LW has eased and now we will have 3 strong centres (Monahan, Backlund, Bennett) going forward.

I haven't read anything anywhere about Sam wanting out of town. He is a quintessential team player that wants to succeed. He wears #93 for a reason because he is so much like Doug Gilmour (except in the scoring department - so far). He just turned 24 this past June and I think he now realizes you have to play a 200 ft. game. He's a leader and will help Calgary make the play-offs.

Calgary needs to upgrade at RW. Some say at Centre. Some say at LW. Some say in goal. Not to make the play-offs, but to be a true contender.

My take is that we need a bit more size and grit without losing speed. Two post seasons in a row we have been pushed around. Our D was soft. We have too many smallish forwards and one big one (Jankowski) that play a soft game.

Bennett isn't one of them.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown

One playoff series? Guess someone doesn't know that Sam has 11 goals and 19 points in 30 career playoff games playing third line minutes. Or that he still leads the playoffs in hits despite a torn tricep muscle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad