GDT: Flames @ Panthers: Matinee Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
How is Stafford a better option "obviously?" He might not have the character issues Semin has, but he is also nowhere near the scorer Semin is. With the leadership this team seems to have, Semin can become a contributor here, and be kept in line IMO. Im more interested in getting someone a bit younger, like an Eberle or Kane, but Semin would cost us much less than the latter two.

Character shmaracter

we need goals.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Cancer? I hope you're talking about his astrology sign. Other than that you have nothing to base your accusation off of. In fact, then coach, Muller and Eric Staal were praising his skill, attitude and knowledge towards the game.

But yes, lets play it safe and get no where with a pending UFA like Stafford, wouldn't want to leave that comfort zone would we?

I've watched Semin play for a long time now. He has no heart and regularly mails it in. He could be an elite player but is happy collecting a paycheck and puts minimal effort in. I'll take the guy that scores 20 and plays a strong team game over the guy that can score 30+, but drags down the team in every other way.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
Cancer? I hope you're talking about his astrology sign. Other than that you have nothing to base your accusation off of. In fact, then coach, Muller and Eric Staal were praising his skill, attitude and knowledge towards the game.

But yes, lets play it safe and get no where with a pending UFA like Stafford, wouldn't want to leave that comfort zone would we?

How about neither?
Semin is 30 years old right now, you want us to pay him 7M when he's 34/35? No thanks.
16irsy9.png

167a0zq.png

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
I've watched Semin play for a long time now. He has no heart and regularly mails it in. He could be an elite player but is happy collecting a paycheck and puts minimal effort in. I'll take the guy that scores 20 and plays a strong team game over the guy that can score 30+, but drags down the team in every other way.

We don't have anyone here who will score even 20 pathetic goals all year so you better believe I would take Semin and his potential to score 30 goals and I could care less about character or speculating how he could drag the team down. This team is dragged down by too many 3rd liners, high picks who are not playing remotely close to potential (not Ekblad obviously) and has beens with the highest of character and Stanley cups in there resume which doesnt mean squat if we cant score 2-3 goals a game. If Tallon can bring us a head case, malcontent cancer 30 goal scorer, I will be thrilled.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
How about neither?
Semin is 30 years old right now, you want us to pay him 7M when he's 35? No thanks.

I would argue that where this team is at they just need to start getting more from their young guys. UFAs are not what we need anymore. We saw how much we had to overpay just to get some quality guys here in the off season. We can't afford to do that much longer. I'd go for a trade to get a good solid scoring winger under 27, but how many are out there that people would actually give up? I don't think many, if any.

Stay the course, continue building from within.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
How about neither?
Semin is 30 years old right now, you want us to pay him 7M when he's 34/35? No thanks.
16irsy9.png

167a0zq.png

I am not advocating specifically trading for Semin as I would go after younger options and trade one of our "studs" (Huberdeau) along with something else to get a scorer but in regards to Semin obviously salary has to go back the other way and maybe Carolina picking up some salary for the rest of that contract.

This might sound radical what I am about to say because defense is our strength and Ekblad would be directly affected but how about Campbell going the other way? His contract is also absurd (over 7 million) and he basically is a defensive dman now at this stage of his career. Campbell looks nothing like the player he was offensively when he got here by the way and i see he has lost another step though defensively he still remains good.

I don't know if Carolina would do that or even need a dman like Campbell but it was just a thought.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Interesting to see Granlund on the NHL ice, he was more or less a child prodigy who learned some bad habits in leagues too easy for him. Now that he has started to train like a pro he has shown huge development in his Game, and having a shot far better than the post-stamp brother Mikael he has a huge offensive upside far beyond his original draft position.

difcog

Oct 24, 2013
So umm what's up with Barkov? Is he in a slump? Why do they keep playing Barkov and Juice on the same line even though they have zero chemistry on ice?

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
How about neither?
16irsy9.png

167a0zq.png

We're in an era where money doesn't matter anymore. Semin also has no strings attached to his contract. Notice the previous 2 seasons where he has out scored our whole team?

We're full of character, maybe a little selfishness would go a long way. I'd rather add a guy who shoots first instead of 6 passing plays in front of the opposition net that leads to nothing but a goal in our own end.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh

Ya aside from the ability to score and rack up points, those +/- numbers are atrocious. Lets just keep to character and play makers, eventually we will pass one into their net.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Interesting to see Granlund on the NHL ice, he was more or less a child prodigy who learned some bad habits in leagues too easy for him. Now that he has started to train like a pro he has shown huge development in his Game, and having a shot far better than the post-stamp brother Mikael he has a huge offensive upside far beyond his original draft position.

Isn't the HIFK a men's league? If so he's been playing against men since 18. Not sure what kind of bad habits he's picked up because he's been a solid prospect for the Flames since coming over to North America.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Ya aside from the ability to score and rack up points, those +/- numbers are atrocious. Lets just keep to character and play makers, eventually we will pass one into their net.

I truly understand the desire to get a goal scorer, I do, but Semin comes with a crazy amount of baggage and has a reputation as a coach killer. Not only that, but he's already 30 and his numbers have started to decline. Add a $7 million price tag for the next 4 years and it becomes a terrible fit for this team. I'm just saying go for a proven 20 goal guy that doesn't have all those negatives attached and let the kids show what they're worth. It might take a year or two more to be a truly successful team, but it'll be worth it.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Isn't the HIFK a men's league? If so he's been playing against men since 18. Not sure what kind of bad habits he's picked up because he's been a solid prospect for the Flames since coming over to North America.

Yes HIFK plays in Finnish Liiga (sometimes referred to as FEL). But I wasn't talking about that.
I mean at ages 13 to 16 Markus propably was a better prospect than his brother. Mikael has always been the hard working type while Markus went with the talent alone.

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
First game I'm gonna see Ekblad. I heard he was playing better than most defenseman, but I wanted to see him for myself. I have a feeling he's going to be like Hedman, but without the bumps.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Yes HIFK plays in Finnish Liiga (sometimes referred to as FEL). But I wasn't talking about that.
I mean at ages 13 to 16 Markus propably was a better prospect than his brother. Mikael has always been the hard working type while Markus went with the talent alone.

Yeah, I meant Liiga. :dunce:

I see what you're saying. Since I've seen him, which was after he was drafted in 2011, he's been fairly well-rounded. He's only getting better. Very smart player that is thinking the game well and also has the talent to go with it.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

And whose our guy on track to score 20 12% of games behind us?

ScottishPanther

Oct 11, 2014
Scotland
I would argue that where this team is at they just need to start getting more from their young guys. UFAs are not what we need anymore. We saw how much we had to overpay just to get some quality guys here in the off season. We can't afford to do that much longer. I'd go for a trade to get a good solid scoring winger under 27, but how many are out there that people would actually give up? I don't think many, if any.

Stay the course, continue building from within.

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad