GDT: Flames @ Oilers, 7:00 MT Dec 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I can’t imagine blaming McDavid when it’s the entire rest of the roster that isn’t worth their salt. Their bottom 9 forwards might be the worse I have seen in the NHL in a long long time.

The sad reality is that with RNH playing like dog crap likely due at least partially to a hand injury, Drai on a massive slump which may also be injury related, the team is looking at Connor to carry every damn thing. Both his and Drai's +/- have been diving these last 15ish games because they are not being responsible defensively. The bottom line is that our team is a few good forwards and then a bunch of 4th liners and some non NHLers. It's a massive cluster frack right now and changes need to happen or we'll be in the lottery again probably drafting another dud like Puljujarvi.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The sad reality is that with RNH playing like dog crap likely due at least partially to a hand injury, Drai on a massive slump which may also be injury related, the team is looking at Connor to carry every damn thing. Both his and Drai's +/- have been diving these last 15ish games because they are not being responsible defensively. The bottom line is that our team is a few good forwards and then a bunch of 4th liners and some non NHLers. It's a massive cluster frack right now and changes need to happen or we'll be in the lottery again probably drafting another dud like Puljujarvi.

We gifted you the real deal, if you are nice, we'll give you Janko :)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

I know oiler fans give rnh a hard time, but his wingers are woof. I wouldn’t expect Monahan or Lindy to produce well in that situation tbh, even with first pp unit time. I think he could benefit from a change of scenery 100%, or at the very least he needs a top 6 winger to play with.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I can’t imagine blaming McDavid when it’s the entire rest of the roster that isn’t worth their salt. Their bottom 9 forwards might be the worse I have seen in the NHL in a long long time.

The Oilers issues are 100% managements doing. Holland is in his first year so it is really difficult to evaluate his performance but Chiarelli was an unmitigated tire fire. There was no player development in Edmonton with "future stars" being turned into scraps. Petry, Schultz, Eberle, Hall, Ryan Strome, Dubnyk, Puljujarvi, and Yakupov failing miserably before leaving town. This speaks nothing of the dozens of blue chip prospects that died on the Oilers farm team.

Now, arguably the best player in the NHL is getting disenfranchised with the franchise. The frustration creeping into McDavid's game has to be very concerning. How much longer until there are trade demands or rumors made by one of the NHL's brightest stars?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Feels good to get back to my flames.

Gotta say, I like this version of the team better so far. Lucic is somehow being at least serviceable, and I like the grit we've added this year with guys like him and Reider. Mangiapane can actually stay on his skates now and looks like a player. Very solid win and team effort. The attention to details in our own end won this game, great effort by everyone.

Nothing like starting your viewing season off with an Oilers beatdown.

Reactions: Tofveve

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know oiler fans give rnh a hard time, but his wingers are woof. I wouldn’t expect Monahan or Lindy to produce well in that situation tbh, even with first pp unit time. I think he could benefit from a change of scenery 100%, or at the very least he needs a top 6 winger to play with.

He has 50 goal man James the real deal?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We gifted you the real deal, if you are nice, we'll give you Janko :)

Honestly Neal has been OK outside of his super hot start. He is a limited player skating wise but like many players that aren't named Connor or Leon he suffers from not having 2 solid linemates. He has played mostly with RNH and Chiasson in the last 10ish games. RNH is not close to the player he was last season and Chiasson is another very limited player. Jankowski simply couldn't be worse than 1/2 the players we trot out every game.

He is asked to play with basically flawed players on the 2nd line so that Connor and Leon can play together, that said he hasn't really played all that well and "taken the bull by the horns" this season when the situation calls for it. He has a hand issue that kept him out of 4 or 5 games and it seems like he isn't healed up yet. I'd love to see him get some capable wingers before we decide whether to move on from him, but it's only been like 3-4 years that we've been waiting for wingers since dealing Hall and Eberle.

Edmonton looked like they couldn't give a damn about this game. Even the fans were kind of out of it, what's going on up there?

Its fugly right now, the team looks like they've given up, the coach is pissed, the fans are tired of the losing, it's beyond ugly.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The Oilers issues are 100% managements doing. Holland is in his first year so it is really difficult to evaluate his performance but Chiarelli was an unmitigated tire fire. There was no player development in Edmonton with "future stars" being turned into scraps. Petry, Schultz, Eberle, Hall, Ryan Strome, Dubnyk, Puljujarvi, and Yakupov failing miserably before leaving town. This speaks nothing of the dozens of blue chip prospects that died on the Oilers farm team.

Now, arguably the best player in the NHL is getting disenfranchised with the franchise. The frustration creeping into McDavid's game has to be very concerning. How much longer until there are trade demands or rumors made by one of the NHL's brightest stars?

Other than McDavid, Hall, RNH, Draisaitl and I suppose Yakupov who are these blue chip prospects you speak of? (Notice all these picks are 1st/3rd overall)

A blue chip prospect is essentially a sure thing going forward, the Oilers only draft busts and you can tell they're busts the minute their drafted, their scouts suck.

Ignoring the fact they have had a ton of 1st round picks and a 3rd overall AND a 4th overall AND a 7th overall, how the f*** do you not draft anybody in the 2nd round and beyond. You're picking top 3 in the 2nd round for like a decade and you can't draft one player?

Since the Oilers have drafted Hall 9 years ago the Flames have drafted (and there was a long gap where we also couldn't draft) in the 2nd round and beyond, Gaudreau, Andersson, Kylington, Mangiapane, Dube, Fox. The Oilers have drafted Jujhar Khaira and this season added Jones and Bear to their roster.

Good job Oilers, you have drafted 3 guys to your team outside the 1st round in a decade. And the guy who has the most points outside the 1st round of all your draft picks since 2010 players for the Flames in Toby Rieder.

Their team is a dumpster fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad