Flames moving affiliate from Stockton

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm going to speculate that the solution is one they discovered could work during the Pandemic when the Stockton Heat played out of the Saddledome with the Flames, the Hitmen played out of the Seven Chiefs Sportsplex in 2021 as detailed in this article Hitmen to play home games in Tsuut'ina Nation arena

The main arena at the complex, I'm not sure the total seating capacity but looks like it could work for a more full time home.
71474042-cal052119-gya4-w.jpg

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
I'm going to speculate that the solution is one they discovered could work during the Pandemic when the Stockton Heat played out of the Saddledome with the Flames, the Hitmen played out of the Seven Chiefs Sportsplex in 2021 as detailed in this article Hitmen to play home games in Tsuut'ina Nation arena

The main arena at the complex, I'm not sure the total seating capacity but looks like it could work for a more full time home.

This looks a lot like where the Winnipeg ICE are currently playing. Not financially viable in its current state, but I could see the Tsuut'ina Nation being willing to invest in upgrades to make it the Hitmen's permanent home. They would need to put in more seats (including box seats), concessions, and some box seating ... but they certainly have the space to do so.

For those not familiar with Calgary, the city borders the Tsuut'na Nation on the SouthWest. They have just completed a ring road (Stoney Trail) that makes this facility easily accessible for most of the city ... certainly more accessible than the Saddledome from the suburbs, and with free parking.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
actually what killed Stockton was the main arena and the 1950's style practice facility that city has employed.... the Thunder were likely gone either way had Calgary not taken the market
I very much doubt Oak Park Arena was the problem.
We had 7000+ average fans a game for the Thunder, the highest in the league. We practically inspired the AHL to make a division in California and we allowed the worst team in the AHL to come here and burn it down just like they did in Abbotsford. I confirmed with the guy on the Sportsbeat of the Stockton Record, that Calgary just wouldn't spend any money here.
All the while the Heat had the gaul to try to get more concessions and parking and leaked they could go to Manteca of all places if they didn't get their way.

There is No Joy in Mudville again.

Unless the ECHL takes another chance in the region, like in Modesto, Fresno, Sacramento, Chico, etc. we'd be travelling like the Alaska Aces did.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I'm a little bummed by this news. My daughter is going to go to college in the area and I thought I could catch a game while I'm visiting her.
Man, the Sacramento area is a hockey wasteland. Sacramento/Stockton/Vacaville/Davis area is plenty big enough to host a minor league hockey franchise, but now there is nothing there. I guess I'll drive in to see the Barracuda's new arena.

I'm so sorry you will miss Sunny Stockton. OTOH, you could catch a Sacramento River Cats game. They used to be the Vancouver Canadians.

PS - is she going to UC Davis? What is her major? ag?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This looks a lot like where the Winnipeg ICE are currently playing. Not financially viable in its current state, but I could see the Tsuut'ina Nation being willing to invest in upgrades to make it the Hitmen's permanent home. They would need to put in more seats (including box seats), concessions, and some box seating ... but they certainly have the space to do so.

For those not familiar with Calgary, the city borders the Tsuut'na Nation on the SouthWest. They have just completed a ring road (Stoney Trail) that makes this facility easily accessible for most of the city ... certainly more accessible than the Saddledome from the suburbs, and with free parking.
I agree it looks like the arena has good bones. It seems that the arena has at least seen some amenity upgrades because there is some pictures like this one showing a center hung video board. It doesn't pay the bills like the big ticket items you mentioned, other than allowing for some additional advertising sales, but shows a willingness to spend some money to upgrade the facility.

7-Chiefs-Sportsplex-17-Lo-Res-940x627.jpg

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
We had 7000+ average fans a game for the Thunder, the highest in the league. We practically inspired the AHL to make a division in California and we allowed the worst team in the AHL to come here and burn it down just like they did in Abbotsford. I confirmed with the guy on the Sportsbeat of the Stockton Record, that Calgary just wouldn't spend any money here.
All the while the Heat had the gaul to try to get more concessions and parking and leaked they could go to Manteca of all places if they didn't get their way.

Unless the ECHL takes another chance in the region, like in Modesto, Fresno, Sacramento, Chico, etc. we'd be travelling like the Alaska Aces did.
The Flames do indeed burn every single community they place their AHL team in.

Feel for you and your fellow supporters, stinks losing your team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

false, the practice facility, as well as the Stockton arena itself, were in need of an upgrade or outright replacement..... that's the issue and had zero to do with the Thunder.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
1654414424827.png

Did I mention the game I was at you could count the people in the stands with fingers and your toes? For a poorer league with much less talented players the Thunder games were always packed. Yeah, Covid but the restrictions have been over for months. I met season ticket holders for the Thunder away from the games by accident - never met anyone who knew there was a Heat game going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: GindyDraws

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
View attachment 555967

Did I mention the game I was at you could count the people in the stands with fingers and your toes? For a poorer league with much less talented players the Thunder games were always packed. Yeah, Covid but the restrictions have been over for months. I met season ticket holders for the Thunder away from the games by accident - never met anyone who knew there was a Heat game going on.
since when did the Flames burn every AHL market they own they've never owned all of their affiliates until Abbotsford, PART OF that lies with Stockton, having nothing to do with the Thunder

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
since when did the Flames burn every AHL market they own they've never owned all of their affiliates until Abbotsford, PART OF that lies with Stockton, having nothing to do with the Thunder

From the link:

In 1993, the NHL's Calgary Flames purchased the Utica Devils franchise from the New Jersey Devils and subsequently relocated the team to Saint John, New Brunswick, to become the Saint John Flames.

So, the Flames owned Saint John and Omaha, and then subsequently Quad City, Abbotsford, Adirondack and Stockton.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

From the link:

So, the Flames owned Saint John and Omaha, and then subsequently Quad City, Abbotsford, Adirondack and Stockton.
That's correct. The Flames owned the franchise and then leased it to a series of independent operators in different markets before they realized they could do a better job of ruining AHL markets themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: GindyDraws

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
NOWHERE in the post you are replying to was it said that the flames owned any of those affiliates....IF you will go back and actually read the mem instead of wanting to jump in so that you can "straighten" someone out, you will see it says The Flames are notorious for burning down all of their minor league AFFLIATED cities. NOBODY said anything about ownership....except YOU.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I see what appears to be responses to unseen posts. Judging by the responses, these unseen posts seem to be created by someone who is mildly unstable, unreasonable, and spewing things that are equally incorrect and nonsensical.

The Maineiac is back, folks...

And we're all dumber for it.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm a little bummed by this news. My daughter is going to go to college in the area and I thought I could catch a game while I'm visiting her.
Man, the Sacramento area is a hockey wasteland. Sacramento/Stockton/Vacaville/Davis area is plenty big enough to host a minor league hockey franchise, but now there is nothing there. I guess I'll drive in to see the Barracuda's new arena.
The Flames seem to move that team every 3 to 5 years. I am not surprised that they are moving again.

Reactions: Roadhog

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

This looks likes the arena at MSOE in downtown Milwaukee. It seats about 2000.

Reactions: mk80

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Let me put this out there, name one place the Calgary Flames did NOT torch the locality with heavy financial losses

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I see what appears to be responses to unseen posts. Judging by the responses, these unseen posts seem to be created by someone who is mildly unstable, unreasonable, and spewing things that are equally incorrect and nonsensical.

The Maineiac is back, folks...
Quick! Everyone hide your well reasoned takes! He's got mod immunity!

Well this explains the almost empty arena in Stockton tonight for Game 3 of the WC finals.
Well, would YOU want to support a team that's bailing on you the instant that the season ends?

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Quick! Everyone hide your well reasoned takes! He's got mod immunity!

Well, would YOU want to support a team that's bailing on you the instant that the season ends?
I was completely unaware of the Heat moving until I saw the empty stands and googled the team. However when looking at 21-22 attendance I see they're dead last in the entire AHL, so it's not surprising the team is moving with that pathetic lack of support in a city of over 300,000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad