Flames moving affiliate from Stockton

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Sounds like the Flames are planning to move their affiliate closer to Calgary.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did relocate. Calgary went into a successful market, somehow screwed it up, and leaving wouldn't shock anyone.

Having said that, there isn't much open near Calgary if they do go there as the article suggests. Some team at some level is going to be displaced.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wonder how close is acceptable? Cranbrook, B.C. comes to mind as the former home of the Kootenay Ice as a decently close option by Western Canadian standards. It’d be a pain to travel in and out of for AHL teams, though.

Or if anywhere is fine, bring an AHL team back to Peoria, Illinois!

Reactions: JMCx4

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wouldn't be surprised if they did relocate. Calgary went into a successful market, somehow screwed it up, and leaving wouldn't shock anyone.

Having said that, there isn't much open near Calgary if they do go there as the article suggests. Some team at some level is going to be displaced.
Can't really speak to those dynamics, you'd definitely know better. I don't know where they'd go, but it would be somewhere that's probably also someone else (Abbotsford or Winnipeg). If they move them into Canada, I'm curious if the border is still a consideration, and it would leave Edmonton as the only team with that issue.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What about Kansas City? They can upgrade the Mavericks from being their ECHL affiliate to being their AHL one.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder how close is acceptable? Cranbrook, B.C. comes to mind as the former home of the Kootenay Ice as a decently close option by Western Canadian standards. It’d be a pain to travel in and out of for AHL teams, though.
Or I wonder if they just move them to Calgary or somewhere suburban. Or if they're the team that moves into the central time zone and play somewhere in Saskatchewan.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Can't really speak to those dynamics, you'd definitely know better. I don't know where they'd go, but it would be somewhere that's probably also someone else (Abbotsford or Winnipeg). If they move them into Canada, I'm curious if the border is still a consideration, and it would leave Edmonton as the only team with that issue.

It is enough of an issue that at one point, and it still might be the case, that teams were taking buses across the border and then flying domestically because crossing the border via airplane requires testing and crossing via vehicle does not require testing.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
What about Kansas City? They can upgrade the Mavericks from being their ECHL affiliate to being their AHL one.

Kansas City isn't in play for two reasons:

1. The article expressly states it would be near Calgary to reduce call up times. Moving to Kansas City doesn't provide better divisional travel, it would actual significantly worse, and wouldn't accomplish their goal of having easy callups.

2. Lamar Hunt Jr. owns the Mavericks. He rejected the Blues attempting to upgrade the Mavericks several times. The Blues are a very popular and local team which would be a significantly more profitable and overall better relationship than Calgary. Lamar Hunt Jr. told the Blues to get lost and that he was not even remotely interested in selling or upgrading.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Timjohnson

Jun 6, 2019
The Flames meant well in Stockton I'm sure, but when they hired Petrovek you knew it was just a matter of time until there were problems in that market.

Reactions: Henderson Finest

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Flames meant well in Stockton I'm sure, but when they hired Petrovek you knew it was just a matter of time until there were problems in that market.
actually what killed Stockton was the main arena and the 1950's style practice facility that city has employed.... the Thunder were likely gone either way had Calgary not taken the market

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And it wasn't in Maine.
from what I gathered the practice facility is not even hockey capatible (sounds like just atrocious age, Stockton Arena itself isn't much better and JM..... Cross lost its tenant during the renovation due to the same "business" shenanigans the owner of multi arenas have lost all respect for corporate arena owners who blatantly ignore their arenas failures, if Bakersfield can adapt so can Stockton, but the city did nothing to rectify either facility and the G League tenant that plays there gets precedence over a pro hockey team and the city does nothing to keep the franchise there, think about that.....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My first thought was Boise
again, not an existing market that already has a team..... the other major issue is the Arena operator of many of the Western arenas ASM Global needs to be seriously investigated because they obviously don't care about any market or the arenas they operate if they're willing to throw a franchise out, hockey or otherwise as a tenant

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

With the Coachella Valley Firebirds expected to enter the league in the Pacific Division, which teams are likely to be moved?

8-8-8-8

Coachella Valley enters league in the Pacific Division
Colorado and Tucson move from Pacific to Central
Grand Rapids moves to the Eastern Conference's North Division

or

17 West-15 East

Coachella Valley enters the league in the Pacific Division
Colorado or Tucson moves from Pacific to Central

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
remember, no Flames AHL affiliate has won a championship since 2001 in Saint John, the franchise was on the move 2 years later no matter if CSE operated half of the franchise or owns/operates it entirely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad