Flames might sit Baertschi for game against Oilers

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What I don't get is how Stempniak stated he loves playing with Stagan, put up points with him, yet he isn't on the line with him. The more I think about line combo's I think this should be the line-up against the Oilers:

1. GlenX - Backs - Iggy
2. Cervanka - Tangs - Hudler
3. Cammy - Stagan - Stemps
4. Begin - Jones - Jackman

Although it sounds like Sven will play tonight, I still think it would be good if he sat.
1. Give this line a chance to succeed.
2. I think Tangs would be better with these two to get the confidence going.
3. Stagan and Stemps have been strong together. Maybe they will save Cammy from Press Box duty if they help him succeed. Sad but true.
4. I want in your face, hit and run play against the kids in Edmonton. If these guys are taking up roster spots you would think it's for games like these.

Again, I'm always wrong, but then get proven right a game or 2 later....

Personally I like Stajan with Hudler and Cervenka, Stajan likes to pass so he has a shooter in Hudler and he is also our best defensive center so it will allow Hudler and Cervenka to take chances to create offense.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I don't think him playing on the fourth line is that big of a deal for this game. Obviously its bad if he plays the season there but if you think about it, his linemates are not that bad. Jones and Comeau, they can provide a little bit of offense. Given that we are playing the Oilers tonight I don't think we needs Hard hitting grinders like Jackman and Begin.

And maybe this will get him sparked up. As we were all speculating yesterday, he probably thought that he was gona get scratched as well.. This could motivate him to force Hartley to put him back into the top9 with a strong game.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
#Flames lines this morning:
Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Hudler-Stajan-Cervenka
Cammalleri-Backlund-Stempniak
Baertschi-Jones-Comeau

I actually like the 4th line because it gives Baertshi the easiest competition with two forwards that can bump and grind in order to make space. Sure it's not a true 4th line, but the Oilers are playing Hartikainen-Belanger-Petrell on their 4th line, so we need to match skill for skill. Plus it might help Comeau & Jones get their game going.

I like Stajan in the top 6 and I'm glad that Hartely is confindent in Stajan taking care of the two new guys.

MilanKraft*

He's finished, won't do anything this year.

I bet on him to win Rookie of the Year.

Mushed. Sorry....

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly, if he's not going to play top 9 minutes as Hartley historically runs a 3 line system, don't ruin his development here, let him play top line minutes in the AHL and come back next year and play at a top tier level...

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Honestly, if he's not going to play top 9 minutes as Hartley historically runs a 3 line system, don't ruin his development here, let him play top line minutes in the AHL and come back next year and play at a top tier level...

Agreed. I don't want to see him waste away on the 4th line like Backlund in past years.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm so happy that Backs was able to find himself in Europe again. It's amazing what confidence can do.

That and a coach who isn't afraid to let players take a few risks. Even with the limited ice-time Backlund's been getting, he's still looked impressive.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That and a coach who isn't afraid to let players take a few risks. Even with the limited ice-time Backlund's been getting, he's still looked impressive.

This is probably more important then the amount of ice time is that he sees mostly offensive ice time and with reduced pk time the kid looks great. I think if he can improve on face off he will get more ice time as last game it looked like Hartley would either end out Tanguay or Stajan for the faceoffs as Backlund was having a hard time I think if he can get close to 50% then he will get a few more shifts.

Also I think the best surprise to start the year has to be Stempniak, we all know he is a streaky scorer but he is also doing very well pking imo he is the reason Sven was on the 4th line and will be the major reason for Sven not making the top 9 this year if he doesn't

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This is probably more important then the amount of ice time is that he sees mostly offensive ice time and with reduced pk time the kid looks great. I think if he can improve on face off he will get more ice time as last game it looked like Hartley would either end out Tanguay or Stajan for the faceoffs as Backlund was having a hard time I think if he can get close to 50% then he will get a few more shifts.

Also I think the best surprise to start the year has to be Stempniak, we all know he is a streaky scorer but he is also doing very well pking imo he is the reason Sven was on the 4th line and will be the major reason for Sven not making the top 9 this year if he doesn't

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Stemp start out pretty hot last year too?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Speaking of confidence, Baerstchi's gona have none by the time this season ends if this trend continues

Biased on being on the 4th line for 1 game? He sees more ice time than Galy in Montreal and he plays with Prust. Sven doesn't look the same as before he got hurt he looked great on the Heat, I personally think he isn't 100% right now.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Playing one game on the fourth line is not a death sentence guys. You might recall Tyler Seguin played most of his first year on the fourth line and even sat out a handful of games. There's plenty of learning to be had playing limited ice time and practising with NHL pros on a daily basis.

Not to mention he's already spent half the year in the AHL.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Playing one game on the fourth line is not a death sentence guys. You might recall Tyler Seguin played most of his first year on the fourth line and even sat out a handful of games. There's plenty of learning to be had playing limited ice time and practising with NHL pros on a daily basis.

Not to mention he's already spent half the year in the AHL.

Thats a very good comparison actually as Seguin got less 5v5 more pk and about the same pp and it didn't seem to hurt his development. Sven is still very raw he has alot of talent but has to get use to the fact that he can't simply undress the defensemen all the time.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I thought he handled his limited ice with more maturing and poise than can or should be expected out of a 19 who has never seen his ice time cut. I noticed every single time he stepped out on the ice against the Oilers, not because I was looking but because every time he was out there he was making things happen whether with or without the puck. When he has the puck its like he has it on a string and when he doesnt have the puck he sees the open ice so clearly and is flying like a madman to get there.

And did no one else notice how well he played defensively when his skill free linemates lost the puck, he was always in the right position and several times read the play well enough and showed enough confidence in his ability to attack the offensive player and removed the puck from him.

Personally I still believe the sky is the limit for him and I know it way to early to draw a comparison like this but I honestly see a lot of Pavel Datsyuk in the way he plays the game.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
A few other players who played less than 12 minutes per game in their rookie year (Sven is at 11:15 average): Valteri Filppula, Tomas Fleischmann, Cory Perry, Alex Burrows, Curtis Glencross, Dustin Brown, Jonathon Cheechoo.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Couturier played the entire season last year on the 4th line and this year the 2nd line is all his. I'm not saying Sven should be on the 4th, but just stating that's how some teams bring along their youngsters.

I think Stempniak's play is absolutely the reason that Sven is on the 4th and we all know that Lee won't keep up that pace all season. What impresses me is that even though he is playing on the 4th, he is still out there generating offence for him and his linemates all while playing sound 2 way game. I don't want him buried on the 4th all season and I don't expect that to happen either.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Couturier played the entire season last year on the 4th line and this year the 2nd line is all his. I'm not saying Sven should be on the 4th, but just stating that's how some teams bring along their youngsters.

I think Stempniak's play is absolutely the reason that Sven is on the 4th and we all know that Lee won't keep up that pace all season. What impresses me is that even though he is playing on the 4th, he is still out there generating offence for him and his linemates all while playing sound 2 way game. I don't want him buried on the 4th all season and I don't expect that to happen either.

Yea I think when Stemps start slowing down (I hope he doesn't would love for a ppg Stemps :laugh:) I think we will move him with one of Butler/Smith and get a bigger #4/#5 defensemen but right now Stemps has been to effective to move and he is driving his value up. Until then Sven will have to keep trying his best to get ice time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yea I think when Stemps start slowing down (I hope he doesn't would love for a ppg Stemps :laugh:) I think we will move him with one of Butler/Smith and get a bigger #4/#5 defensemen but right now Stemps has been to effective to move and he is driving his value up. Until then Sven will have to keep trying his best to get ice time.

Agree. And if the Pens come offering a 2nd for Stemps at the deadline then Big Jay better make that deal. Comeau and Horak are more than capable of also filling in for 3rd line duties in case of injuries.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Agree. And if the Pens come offering a 2nd for Stemps at the deadline then Big Jay better make that deal. Comeau and Horak are more than capable of also filling in for 3rd line duties in case of injuries.

Personally I would send Comeau out as soon as possible he looks terrible, but Horak can easily step in and add fill in on the 3rd line. I still would try and get Murray or Grossmann by adding to Stemps I think either would really help the backend
Jbo-Gio
Grossmann/Murray-Widemen
Brodie - Sarich

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Personally I would send Comeau out as soon as possible he looks terrible, but Horak can easily step in and add fill in on the 3rd line. I still would try and get Murray or Grossmann by adding to Stemps I think either would really help the backend
Jbo-Gio
Grossmann/Murray-Widemen
Brodie - Sarich

I had been thinking Brodie's looked quite effective with Wideman these past couple games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad