Flames might sit Baertschi for game against Oilers

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Right, but over who like why not Begin, Comeau, Jackman, Jones instead...Bart may not have points yet but he has had plenty of opportunities. Just no luck yet.
Yeah, no idea either. Maybe Hartley's just saying it to let Bart know his job is earned not given.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What a troubling turn of events (if true). This organization is so ass backwards that it is not even funny.

When will the Veterans here in Calgary ever be held accountable? Is it any wonder why we have struggled to turn out home grown talent over the past decade and a half.. This is the type of mentality that breeds mediocrity.

Furthermore it is looking like he is losing his spot to Cervenka since Hartley believes he should start out on the wing, and not at center ice like he was told when he signed here.

I would rather Sven play in Abbotsford for the rest of the season instead of toiling on the third line with the likes of Comeau, and being the odd healthy scratch.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Right, but over who like why not Begin, Comeau, Jackman, Jones instead...Bart may not have points yet but he has had plenty of opportunities. Just no luck yet.

Honest question did you like when Backlund was on the 4th line used as a grinder? Because that is terrible for a prospect its top 9 or bust for Sven Begin,Comeau,Jackman,Jones are 4th liners they aren't competing for a top 9 role its like complaining that Irving isn't playing because Jackman is they aren't the same player they aren't here for the same reason.

This might be the biggest overreaction we have had in a while, rookies need time to adjust and be added slowly into the nhl, he was hurt all of december and had 3 ahl games and a week of camp its not crazy to think that Sven isn't 100% and needs some time to adjust.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Honest question did you like when Backlund was on the 4th line used as a grinder? Because that is terrible for a prospect its top 9 or bust for Sven Begin,Comeau,Jackman,Jones are 4th liners they aren't competing for a top 9 role its like complaining that Irving isn't playing because Jackman is they aren't the same player they aren't here for the same reason.

This might be the biggest overreaction we have had in a while, rookies need time to adjust and be added slowly into the nhl, he was hurt all of december and had 3 ahl games and a week of camp its not crazy to think that Sven isn't 100% and needs some time to adjust.

Absolutely not obviously. Which is why they should let him play AHL if they aren't going to use him.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

The overeaction is coming because we don't understand why he is getting scratched over many others who have played alot more poorly. Ur gona tell me Stajan has been better then Sven? Not that Stajan has been bad but Sven has been alot better.. Why not scratch him and put Cervenka center? Ohh and probably our worst player so far, how about Cammalleri? why not sit him out? he seems way too comfortable with his position.. he shouldn't just get a spot because he's Mike Cammalleri, these are the kind of players that need a wake up call not Sven.

I get that he was hurt in december but he is 100% now or he wouldn't be playing.. Its almost February. Nothing is set in stone but I think hes been one of our best players and it doesn't make sense. You don't scratch a rookie to slowly "ease" him into the NHL I don't see any other teams doing this. You want him to get used to NHL games hes gona have to play NHL games.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The overeaction is coming because we don't understand why he is getting scratched over many others who have played alot more poorly. Ur gona tell me Stajan has been better then Sven? Not that Stajan has been bad but Sven has been alot better.. Why not scratch him and put Cervenka center? Ohh and probably our worst player so far, how about Cammalleri? why not sit him out? he seems way too comfortable with his position.. he shouldn't just get a spot because he's Mike Cammalleri, these are the kind of players that need a wake up call not Sven.

I get that he was hurt in december but he is 100% now or he wouldn't be playing.. Its almost February. Nothing is set in stone but I think hes been one of our best players and it doesn't make sense. You don't scratch a rookie to slowly "ease" him into the NHL I don't see any other teams doing this. You want him to get used to NHL games hes gona have to play NHL games.

I would willing say Stajan has been better, he has been our most consistent defensive forward and fills a role that no one else can. I said in the other thread I think Sven should play but it I think Hartley is trying to get Cammy going so he stays in as when Cammy wakes up he will be more effective this year.

Sven may have felt 100% but his conditioning may not be there which is why he plays fewer minutes then the rest of the top 9 as he missed over a month and he simply may not be ready for nhl pace until he gets back in shape. There are lots of teams that ease their rookies in with a few games in the nhl and then send them to the ahl this may simply be a week where he sits to see if Cervenka and Hudler are ready to go and then gets sent to the AHL to continue to learn the pro game.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I would willing say Stajan has been better, he has been our most consistent defensive forward and fills a role that no one else can. I said in the other thread I think Sven should play but it I think Hartley is trying to get Cammy going so he stays in as when Cammy wakes up he will be more effective this year.

Sven may have felt 100% but his conditioning may not be there which is why he plays fewer minutes then the rest of the top 9 as he missed over a month and he simply may not be ready for nhl pace until he gets back in shape. There are lots of teams that ease their rookies in with a few games in the nhl and then send them to the ahl this may simply be a week where he sits to see if Cervenka and Hudler are ready to go and then gets sent to the AHL to continue to learn the pro game.

Holy ****, I totally forgot all about that in the excitement of hockey coming back etc.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Overreact much people?

Sometimes its good for a kid to sit in the pressbox and view the game from a different angle. He has been okay in the offensive zone, but has left something to be desired in the defensive zone, doesn't hurt to be given a day off.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
It's still horse ****.

Time to cut loose these veterans and let the kids ****ing play.

Alright sure. Mackinnon or Jones?

It's one game, stop blowing things out of proportion. Sven just came back from a concussion and hasn't played hockey regularly in a while, him sitting 1 game is not a big deal.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Overreact much people?

Sometimes its good for a kid to sit in the pressbox and view the game from a different angle. He has been okay in the offensive zone, but has left something to be desired in the defensive zone, doesn't hurt to be given a day off.

What? If Sven sits out one game he will be the next Fata :laugh:

Its hilarious the amount of overreaction that having Sven possibly sit out has caused people are freaking out because Jackman and Stajan are in over him when both play roles he can't.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Its hilarious the amount of overreaction that having Sven possibly sit out has caused people are freaking out because Jackman and Stajan are in over him when both play roles he can't.
I agree, I will also say that I think Hartley is going to be rotating guys in and out of the lineup as long as the Flames have the healthy bodies. We have a glutton of top 9 forwards so we are going to see Hartley experiment with combinations and see alot of guys sit for a game here and there.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Where does Sven fit in this lineup moving forward though? The fact is we have far to many tweener forwards on this roster that are taking away ice time and opportunity from our younger players (Brodie, Sven, Horak etc...)

Look around the league and you will see why our organization struggles to produce NHL talent consistently
- In Boston they are playing Dougie Hamilton 18 minutes a night.
- In Ottawa they are playing Jakob Silfverberg on the top line.
- In Vancouver they are playing Zack Kassian with the Sedins.
- In Edmonton Justin Schultz is playing 26 minutes a night.
- In Minnesota Mikael Granlund is playing in the top six, and getting 16 minutes a night.
- In Florida Huberdeau is playing in the top six
- In Tampa Bay Conacher is playing in the top six

The list goes on and on..and guess what? They are all doing better than the Flames.

Why cant we show a little faith in our young players? It's not like we have anything to lose, we are 0-3 for crying out loud.

If Sven is simply going to play 10-13 minutes a night and be rotated in and out of the lineup for the entirety of the season then I would prefer he play in Abbotsford.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree, I will also say that I think Hartley is going to be rotating guys in and out of the lineup as long as the Flames have the healthy bodies. We have a glutton of top 9 forwards so we are going to see Hartley experiment with combinations and see alot of guys sit for a game here and there.

I think we will see Stempniak or Cammy (most likely Stemps) moved in a few weeks or close to the dead line in order to get prospects or get a 2nd round pick as we are missing one this year. I liked the idea from the trade board of Stemps to Pitt for a 2nd.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Where does Sven fit in this lineup moving forward though? The fact is we have far to many tweener forwards on this roster that are taking away ice time and opportunity from our younger players (Brodie, Sven, Horak etc...)

Look around the league and you will see why our organization struggles to produce NHL talent consistently
- In Boston they are playing Dougie Hamilton 18 minutes a night.
- In Ottawa they are playing Jakob Silfverberg on the top line.
- In Vancouver they are playing Zack Kassian with the Sedins.
- In Edmonton Justin Schultz is playing 26 minutes a night.
- In Minnesota Mikael Granlund is playing in the top six, and getting 16 minutes a night.
- In Florida Huberdeau is playing in the top six
- In Tampa Bay Conacher is playing in the top six

The list goes on and on..and guess what? They are all doing better than the Flames.

Why cant we show a little faith in our young players? It's not like we have anything to lose, we are 0-3 for crying out loud.

Maybe those players have earned those positions and have not had them handed to them on the basis of being young and very promising?

If any of those players were being outperformed by other players on their team they would sit a night or two as well. They don't need to "show a little faith" in their young players, no faith is needed, they have earned those spots. It's not like we are holding our player to a different standard. Ours could use a game in the pressbox. Theirs don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: