Flames @ Kraken

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I’m not super surprised honestly? Checked Natural Stat Trick at the intermission and the projection was pretty heavily slanted to the Flames.

Kraken have had a weird chaotic “running around like their hair is on fire” vibe all night imo…

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’m not super surprised honestly? Checked Natural Stat Trick at the intermission and the projection was pretty heavily slanted to the Flames.

Kraken have had a weird chaotic “running around like their hair is on fire” vibe all night imo…
I don't know about that. They have had decent possession but maybe have been out-coached since they cannot seem to get many shots off.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oooooooookay… two Flames beat the second Kraken back on that? This one has had a disorganized chaotic vibe to it all night, getting a little embarrassing
Such a contrast to our last game.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
The book on this team appears to be “play a hard physical game”. There is no structure to the game they are play8ng this period.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The team looked clueless most of the night, so many sloppy giveaways that I stopped counting. The coaching staff has to take some responsibility for this kind of play. The Kraken did not appear to be prepared, much less have a coherent game plan tonight.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
This is not a team that looked prepared to play tonight. How can you be so careless and unfocused against a team with a six game losing streak?
The Kraken have struggled for sure but I see signs they will go on a long winning streak...

On the positive side.

The Future does look bright...they have to just keep hitting on those draft picks especially on the Extra ones

Reactions: kihei and Hocktopus

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like Kartye but to put him with Beniers doesn't do the young Centre much good! Tye is more suited for a 3rd-4th line role

Eberle and McCann it seemed to work wonders last season so why split up a line that worked
I agree on both counts. Tye is a 3rd liner at best right now.

Also, I agree that Eberle-Beniers-McCann would be a good line to go to and see if that can get Beniers going.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Maybe the Kraken were looking past the Flames who after some abysmal games actually looked good tonight even without Eatbread!

If the Kraken had gotten a couple on that 5 minute PP and Wennberg hadn't lost his stick at the most inopportune time Kraken win this one I think

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I don’t blame Hak for trying different things to see if they can un-stick Beniers and Eberle. Both have really struggled so far this season, keeping them together just leans harder into what’s clearly not working. If I get a flat tire, I don’t keep driving because the other tires worked so well together in the past…I get out and change it.

Biggest issues last night seemed to be…

Nobody seemed to know their roles on their “new” linebender’d line. The forecheck and dzone were complete chaos all night long. It looked like they hadn’t run through their new line combinations in a morning skate, and just threw it in the blender 5 minutes before puck drop?

Gru needed to make a couple clutch saves on goals 2 and 3 and just didn’t. Meanwhile Vladar made those saves in the 3rd when the Flames needed them.

The team has no response to a hard physical game. The Flames were really chippy last night with borderline late hits and pushing Kraken players around, and the Kraken don’t really have an answer for it with the way this roster is constructed. I suspect we’ll see more of that as the season goes on.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, that was an absolute stinker.

Once again we give up a goal with less than two minutes left in the (2nd)period and that gave the momentum to the Flames.
We also got outworked in this one and had hardly any offense until about the end of the third period.
You're not going to win anything playing like that.

Who would you like to put Beniers out with?

Most likely someone who's still not on the team.
To me Beniers is a player in the mold of a Jonathan Toews who plays a solid 200 feet game, can score at a goo(but not great) pace and won't be the guy creating the offense consistantly.

Toews did have a guy called Patrick Kane on his wing and we've got nothing like that at this point.

The team has no response to a hard physical game. The Flames were really chippy last night with borderline late hits and pushing Kraken players around, and the Kraken don’t really have an answer for it with the way this roster is constructed. I suspect we’ll see more of that as the season goes on.

Yep.
Things like that are making rounds in this league pretty fast.
The Kraken got absolutley bullied by the Rangers, the Red Wings also took some liberties and teams know that there won't be much of a push back by the Kraken in regards of physical play.

So I guess Ron will trade for Tom Wilson now....:sarcasm: :scared:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep.
Things like that are making rounds in this league pretty fast.
The Kraken got absolutley bullied by the Rangers, the Red Wings also took some liberties and teams know that there won't be much of a push back by the Kraken in regards of physical play.

So I guess Ron will trade for Tom Wilson now....:sarcasm: :scared:
Yeah. Its getting pretty evident. Even the hit by Zadarov on Kartye, which I did feel was clean, did warrant some kind of a pushback by us.

We are average on talent/skill. Below average in physicality. If a team plays with aggressive checking and physicality against us, and we can't keep up and return the favor, it is always going to be tough.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yeah. Its getting pretty evident. Even the hit by Zadarov on Kartye, which I did feel was clean, did warrant some kind of a pushback by us.

We are average on talent/skill. Below average in physicality. If a team plays with aggressive checking and physicality against us, and we can't keep up and return the favor, it is always going to be tough.
I was hoping the Bellemare signing would add a touch of toughness to the backbone. OTOH, Bellemare is 38 years old.

Shore is a big dude as well, but other than his first couple of years breaking into the NHL in Dallas, he hasn't really been enforcing all that much.

Finally, there is Kartye. He was not shy about mixing it up in Coachella by any stretch.

On paper, it looks like we added bigger bodies and more physicality from last season, where we depended on Ryan Donato to be our enforcer. But what is on paper hasn't translated to on the ice. :dunno:

Hocktopus

Jul 1, 2023
BC
Plus, missing Tanev our most physical forward does not help. Still, even when Tanev is back, we still need a couple of grinders to match up better against the more physical teams

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad