Series Discussion: Flames - Jets (Flames Win 3-1)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Here's a little more info about why Hamonic is declining to play in the upcoming qualifying round / playoffs and I certainly don't blame him. Hockey is just a game after all. Covid-19 can be life or death...

"Hamonic, a 29-year-old defenseman in his 10th NHL season, cited his young daughter's battle with a respiratory illness in 2019 as being a key factor in his decision.

"Like every parent, everything we do is to provide and protect our kids and try to take away any suffering they may endure," Hamonic wrote in a statement explaining his decision posted by Titan Sports Management.

"Last year, we spent the longest, scariest and hardest week of our lives by our daughter's hospital bedside. We were unsure of what would come next or where this would lead, but with God's strength our little girl fought her respiratory virus and recovered. During that long week, we were helpless and couldn’t do anything to help her except hold her little hands, kiss her head and pray. We saw what a respiratory virus can do to our healthy little girl and it’s something no parent wants or should go through. Now blessed with our second child, a baby boy at home, the risk of today's COVID-19 pandemic is a very difficult one to weigh as parents.

"Due to what my daughter already has gone through and the concerns if she were to catch COVID-19, I’ve decided to opt out and seek a leave of absence from the Calgary Flames for the remainder of the playoffs. I wish I could lace up my skates and be out there battling, blocking a shot and helping the team win but my family has and always will come first. Being my little kids’ dad everyday is the most important job I have.""

Travis Hamonic of Flames cites family in opting out of NHL restart

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Flames give up Hamonic, Canucks give up Baertschi, and the Oilers give up Green. Jets turn, Kyle Connor can sit and we will call it square.

Reactions: Schred

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Flames give up Hamonic, Canucks give up Baertschi, and the Oilers give up Green. Jets turn, Kyle Connor can sit and we will call it square.
Maybe McDavid should opt out too. He seems to get hit pretty badly everytime a virus goes around....

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
With the play-in officially counting as a playoff series, it'll be the first time in over a decade the Flames make it in back to back seasons.

Christ it took way too long.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Giordano - Brodie. Tried and true line. That shit works.

Hanifin - Andersson. They worked when we had them together, gets Andersson ice time and Hanifin plays with someone he works with.

Gustafsson - Hamonic. Just let Hamonic stay at home and let Gustafsson work it up the zone. Then Gus can also run PP1

Sorry. No Hamonic. He's not returning for "summer league". I applaud his personal reasoning for family member's health concerns! Good on you Travis!
Calgary is not safe yet anyways from this Covid-19 demon. Stay safe in Manitoba, Travis!
Yuck, likely means Gustafsson with Stone! ( If Stone can still skate??)

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If you can't get the puck out of your own end your trash. Good for you, they didn't score on you on your 2+ minute shift you spent in your entire zone. That doesn't make him a good defensive player. Guy plays against 3rd and 4th liners and is hemmed in his own zone for 2 minute long shifts. He's useless.

Deryk "the most overrated Flame ever" Engelland was the same. I can't believe Flames fans ever thought he was any good. Brodie carried him that year when Gio went down. Engelland's break out pass was to ice the puck, that's all he knew how to do. "hE wAs ToUgH tHo" OK Burke, I'll just watch the Pens win a Cup with 6 no name puck moving d-men.

Holy Forbort-hating. Wow! One game you saw and there are 4 other frickin' players on the ice with him! The next GM or head-scout should be in your destiny bud. Cheers. Bye-bye.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Sorry. No Hamonic. He's not returning for "summer league". I applaud his personal reasoning for family member's health concerns! Good on you Travis!
Calgary is not safe yet anyways from this Covid-19 demon. Stay safe in Manitoba, Travis!
Yuck, likely means Gustafsson with Stone! ( If Stone can still skate??)
I'm confused as to how his daughter's health is at risk since She wouldn't even be anywhere near her Dad, nevermind the fact that the bubble area will be a hell of a lot better protected than outside of it.
Bottom line is this career of his where he has earned enough money to live a privileged life, he has obligations, not wanting to be away from family that as of now our fully healthy, is not an excuse to ditch your job.
Do you think Horvat wants to leave his week-old kid? Only in a time where SJW run rampant is a guy anointed a hero for deciding he owes his job, co-workers and fans nothing.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm confused as to how his daughter's health is at risk since She wouldn't even be anywhere near her Dad, nevermind the fact that the bubble area will be a hell of a lot better protected than outside of it.
Bottom line is this career of his where he has earned enough money to live a privileged life, he has obligations, not wanting to be away from family that as of now our fully healthy, is not an excuse to ditch your job.
I'm not gonna touch the last sentence because every opinion presented here is complete and utter trash. First off, Hamonic lost his father at a young age and presumably doesn't want to leave his daughter who's life was in danger for 3 months without seeing her. Secondly, with him leaving what do you think happens to the rest of the family. His wife would have to find someone to either take care of the baby or take her with her to get groceries and the like instead of having a parent to stay at home with her. That would increase the likelihood of danger.

And none of that means jack shit because the biggest thing is personal safety in a pandemic. Players aren't indebted to society because they can skate and play hockey good--you just can't accept that someone making money can't also not want to do the thing that makes them money when their children would be in danger. He shouldn't be forced into dangerous situations because he has money.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Do you think Horvat wants to leave his week-old kid? Only in a time where SJW run rampant is a guy anointed a hero for deciding he owes his job, co-workers and fans nothing.

He Doesn't want to risk catching it, being a carrier with no symptoms and coming home to his daughter only to set her health backwards again! I totally get it. This pandemic is about human life and preserving it for our loved ones, not some 2-bit fans "needs to have an acceptable reason why he isn't playing"!!
His contract is up anyways. He owes nobody anything beyond his honesty.
Get over it, move on to nextthread bud.
He owes You nothing man.

Reactions: Cypruss

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
We are gonna whoop the Jets so hard that they move back to Atlanta.
Good luck with that. Johnny & Mony better be sharp and scored on 4 of 5 shots!!
Hope Flames can battle it out and gain traction and move on card info playoffs but...any stall in scoring early and their likely done 1st round.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
This isn't talked about enough. Idk where the narrative is that we are deep, but our depth was trash this year. Ryan was the only consistent player in our bottom 6. Dube had flashes but hit a wall big time, Lucic had 2 even strength goals for an entire season, and our 4th line was a literal hole.
Dress the "black ace rookies" from the get-go. Nothing yo lose but a playoff chance, right?
How about : A Ruzicka- GGawdin-ETuulola for a 4th.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
What six D play in game 1 vs. the Jets, and why?
Gio & Andersson
Hanifin & Brodie
Forbort & Yelesin,
Gotta tease the Jets into thinking they got it easy!
Then, we come back game 2 with: Michael Stone 1st line RD, PwrPlay1 and PK.
They won't know what hit them?!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You guys are high if you think a Forbort and Hamonic pairing wouldn't be a complete train wreck. They would literally never NOT be in their own zone for every shift. And every shift would be 2 minutes because they can't clear it other than icing. They're both GOD AWFUL defensively.

Two guys who are absolute train wrecks in their own zone, two guys are tank their pairings, two guys who can't make an outlet pass, two guys who can't skate it out of their own end. How is that an effective pairing. Even the worst of the worst 4th lines would feast on them and any good coach would match up their top lines against them.

Time to cheer on the Oilers man. You're obviously done with the Flames ( roster, lines, players, coaching...)

Reactions: Schred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad