GDT: Flames @ Jets 6pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I would keep the top two lines as is. It’s just one game. Then go with that new line of Bennett-Backs-Mangi.

Then go with classic defensive 4th line in Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon.

Bench Lucic, enough with the salary cap and veteran apologist attitude.

Won't happen anytime soon. He'll get plenty of runway with Ward as HC.

Reactions: DFF

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I have an opinion:

Good NHL lines require footspeed.

Speed down the middle, and speed down at least one wing.

You can have the other winger be slow if they're going to be the trailer, but that's the extent of it.

As for size? Yes, you need some, because you need a winger who can win a board battle and hit the centre or opposite winger with an outlet pass.

So let's look at our effective top line:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube

Why does this work?

You have Tkachuk who can win a board battle and hit Lindholm or Dube with the breakout pass.
You have Dube who can push play forward
You have Lindholm who can keep up with the play, even though he typically doesn't drive play.

Now let's look at our arguable best line in last year's playoffs

Lucic - Bennett - Dube

You have Lucic who can win a board battle and hit Bennett or Dube with the breakout pass. Though he is prone to strange gaffes.
You have Dube who can push play forward
You have Bennett who can keep up with and drive the play.

That's why this line worked.

Now let's look at the other three lines Geoff Ward somehow thought would work tonight:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Leivo

You have Monahan who can win a board battle and hit Gaudreau with the breakout pass. However, this does not happen, because as a centre, he is not positionally supposed to be engaging in too many battles along the boards. He's utterly wasted.
You have Gaudreau who can push play forward
You have Leivo who... is neither a centre nor speedy. And didn't even look coordinated today.

Mangiapane - Backlund - Ryan

You have Ryan who cannot win a board battle and cannot hit Backlund or Mangiapane with the breakout pass.
You have Mangiapane who can push play forward
You have Backlund who can keep up with and drive the play.

Nordstrom - Bennett - Lucic

You have Lucic who can win a board battle and hit Bennett or Dube with the breakout pass. Though he is prone to strange gaffes.
You have Nordstrom who cannot push play forward, and generally was the worst player among the 24 skaters who were on the ice today.
You have Bennett who can keep up with and drive the play.

It just baffles me that our coach thought any of these three lines were a good idea.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would keep the top two lines as is. It’s just one game. Then go with that new line of Bennett-Backs-Mangi.

Then go with classic defensive 4th line in Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon.

Bench Lucic, enough with the salary cap and veteran apologist attitude.

Put Dube on first line, at least he can skate. Put Mangi back on 2nd line.

Leivo belongs on the 3rd line. For god sake, we signed a guy for almost minimum salary and expect him to perform on the 1st line? What competent NHL coach would do that? oh wait.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Put Dube on first line, at least he can skate. Put Mangi back on 2nd line.

Leivo belongs on the 3rd line. For god sake, we signed a guy for almost minimum salary and expect him to perform on the 1st line? What competent NHL coach would do that? oh wait.
He didn't look any better on the 3rd line in the scrimmage. He's a replacement level player. It all boils down to the same thing.....sure could use an extra $5.25 million in capspace.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You read my flamesnation post already or what? :laugh:

I will say I was pleasantly surprised. We'll see as the season goes along and how the contract ages out, but I was impressed tonight.

No, I just recall you being the most vocal of the sky is fallers.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No, I just recall you being the most vocal of the sky is fallers.

Don't think you need to thump your chest over one game either. Nobody is right all the time and things can change on a dime. I'm happy he looks good, lets have this convo again in 2 years.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Wasn't able to watch closely tonight but I'm going to refrain from the overreactions to this one game. Feel like this game comes down to the fact that the Flames played loose and made unforced errors this game, with tons of penalties and giveaways. The Scheifele goal, I wish he didn't give up that rebound but Lucic (I believe) can't be throwing that puck out to the slot. It didn't result in a goal, but Nesterov threw a pass nowhere near Valimaki in the defensive zone that resulted in a lot more zone time. Feels like it's the small things that need to be done better.

Markstrom, eh, give it to him that he wasn't great. It was his first game. Judging him on either Laine goal is silly, that guy has made a career out of being able to cleanly beat goalies. Can't be giving the Jets top guys clear chances like that. Also sucks that Monahan's hard effort to come back and stop the chance on Laine got rewarded by Laine taking a slick shot.

Late in the game it felt like the Mangiapane - Backlund - Bennett line was consistently doing the best work and was very noticable. Feel like that's the only change that should go through, with Nordstrom and Simon being put in direct competition with eachother for the 12th forward spot

But yeah, Flames opening day curse does what it does. Gonna give it a bit of time before jumping off ship though, lmao. Weak af to immediately be down Treliving's throat day one. Childish shit

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don't think you need to thump your chest over one game either. Nobody is right all the time and things can change on a dime. Lets have this convo again in 2 years.

Sure. But your points/outrage always pointed back to his abysmal CF%. Can you sort of understand why that’s not a valuable tool in making a tizzy now?

Vancouver fans loved this guy, and told us all how much of a player he is. Sone of us just chose not to care what they said.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sure. But your points/outrage always pointed back to his abysmal CF%. Can you sort of understand why that’s not a valuable tool in making a tizzy now?

Vancouver fans loved this guy, and told us all how much of a player he is. Sone of us just chose not to care what they said.

I can see the point that it isn't totally fair to look at just a player's CF%, but some of the concerns around his declining ability to prevent shot attempts were also noted, and his age is getting up there as well. Wasn't also particularly ecstatic that the chatter around him often emphasizing his "character" and "warrior mentality" that felt eerily similar to the talk around Hamonic.

He was good tonight. I hope I'm eating crow for the next few years.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Honestly a tough game for Sean. I don't blame him though. He's just doing what he's told. He's not forcing anyone to deploy him in a specific way.

That said, he struggled enough to create offense when Lindholm was on his wing. What did the coaching staff think was going to happen by downgrading so significantly to Leivo.

That line will never work. How many times did Gaudreau come down the wing and just fire a slap shot because he had no support? That's never been a part of his game but it's all he can really do with such slow linemates.

Gaudreau wasn't all that great either but Monahan talks a big game before each season and comes in with exactly the same flaws. Too slow and too soft. Created nothing tonight and got beat defensively again and again. Would trade him yesterday for Dubois.

I think the least encouraging thing about this team is their footspeed. When they play quickly and support each other like in the 1st they mirror Vegas. When they stop it looks ugly like in the 2nd

It's not amazing that our taxi squad is pretty slow either. Can we put Kylington opposite Gaudreau's wing

The 1st was very encouraging. They play focused like that and they should be tops in the division. I like the forward depth, the defensive depth, the goalie depth. I just wish we had someone on this team that can shoot. Think Simon comes in for Nordstrom next game. Also would like to see Phillips get a real chance this season.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
. They play focused like that and they should be tops in the division. I like the forward depth, the defensive depth, the goalie depth.
This is what is going to frustrate me all season if this continues. Flames have all of the ability in the world to be up there with the best but are inconsistent. When they are focused they impose their will with speed, grit, and a mix of skill, but it just doesn't work if they aren't focused and giving 100% effort

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I can see the point that it isn't totally fair to look at just a player's CF%, but some of the concerns around his declining ability to prevent shot attempts were also noted, and his age is getting up there as well. Wasn't also particularly ecstatic that the chatter around him often emphasizing his "character" and "warrior mentality" that felt eerily similar to the talk around Hamonic.

He was good tonight. I hope I'm eating crow for the next few years.

I mean, I doubt he’s this good in year 4, but I think for the next two years he’s going to be a big part of the team.

Flames have this two-three year window. Then we are either near full tear down or reupped with success. I’m not overly concerned about his deal long term tbh.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gaudreau wasn't all that great either but Monahan talks a big game before each season and comes in with exactly the same flaws. Too slow and too soft. Created nothing tonight and got beat defensively again and again. Would trade him yesterday for Dubois.

The 1st was very encouraging. They play focused like that and they should be tops in the division. I like the forward depth, the defensive depth, the goalie depth. I just wish we had someone on this team that can shoot. Think Simon comes in for Nordstrom next game. Also would like to see Phillips get a real chance this season.
This team has in it them to make big noise and I like Ward's vision of the roster. But Backlund and Lindholm can't be the only forwards that do their job for the entire 60 mins. Not a big deal yet because no preseason and the Flames are notorious slow starters but yeah can't have passengers when we're not so fleet of foot.

I welcome any insertion of youth and speed as needed. If you can skate, chances are you're gonna be a big help in this condensed season

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Don't want to overreact too much cause it's only 1 game.
Defensive pairs looked decent for the most part, Tanev was a pleasant surprise and along with Andersson our best defenders today.
Offensively I think you can make better lines with a few tweaks, it seems apparent that 13-23 will be stapled together no matter what. Due to that I'd try this:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube/Mangiapane
Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube/Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Leivo/Simon
Lucic-Ryan-Leivo/Simon

Nordstrom is nothing more than the 13th forward.

Reactions: Mobiandi

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Hey guys, Canuck fan coming in peace.

how have you guys liked Markstrom and Tanev so far?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hey guys, Canuck fan coming in peace.

how have you guys liked Markstrom and Tanev so far?
Big fan of Tanev, he just plays real solid and throws it all out there. Markstrom felt shaky but imo, his play late in the game is what got us this point. Went through a period of not being great then settled in and can't totally fault him on any goals, though he could've handled 2 better. I don't want him being so aggressive behind the net tho lmao. Think he's going through the natural "early season goalie with limited training camp struggles" rn

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sad to say that I'm actually more pleased than anything that we got a point last night. Season openers are usually just a write-off.

Hope the team comes out pissed off on Saturday and gets a nice convincing win over Van.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Someone explain to me why Lucic - Bennett - Dube, the line that caught lightning in a bottle last ploffs, was deployed across three lines last night?
Because Bennett and Dube are useful higher in the lineup and Lucic isn’t.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sad to say that I'm actually more pleased than anything that we got a point last night. Season openers are usually just a write-off.

Hope the team comes out pissed off on Saturday and gets a nice convincing win over Van.

There's a lot of guys in the lineup that should have the "You didn't think you needed me" attitude in the lineup tomorrow.
I'd hope that Markstrom has a strong game, he needs a bounce back. Leivo could use a little wakeup call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad