GDT: Flames @ Jets 6pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Nordstrom is a 13th forward. Do we really not have a solid player like, say, Dmitry Zavgorodniy or Matthew Phillips who can play opposite Lucic?

cue something something management is smart i don't know anything management has to manage personalities something something i must never have managed anything smart managers sign nordstroms something something hitz and blockz and heart and chemistry lmao

My god :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Mazatt

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I liked Geoff Ward's adjustments in the 3rd a lot. It's nice to have a coach who reacts to the game unfolding before his eyes.

Markstrom had an average outing. His style is indecipherable from Rittich's for me.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Are you trying to talk about Markstrom or the other forum in this post?

I really loved Markstrom's play in the crease tonight.

Scheifele hits the open net and the loss is squarely on Markstrom. Got lucky there. Got beat clean by Laine twice. His lateral movement looked fairly slow on the Connor goal as well.

Another thing, if Tkachuk is seeking Matthews money, buddy better shows up for more than one period.

A career tweener Leivo hasnt played a game in what, a year, penciled straight into the top 6. Always earned never given. Predictably, does nothing with the icetime.

Nordstrom looked like crap. Why was he signed again?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I liked Geoff Ward's adjustments in the 3rd a lot. It's nice to have a coach who reacts to the game unfolding before his eyes.

Markstrom had an average outing. His style is indecipherable from Rittich's for me.

Agreed that some tweaks were a good idea, but I think the composition of the lines is still very far from where they need to be. They need to find a way to get 13 going again. Maybe put him with Backlund and Mangiapane?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Nordstrom looked like crap. Why was he signed again?

Oh, you know, he'll jump in front of a one timer and block shots with his face. And he comes from a winning organization. And I bet you he's really important in the locker room. And the most basic of analytics won't show this. Nope.

Ooh, and get this, Zac Rinaldo is still a Flame too.

But Tre is a smart GM.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No personal attack, just stating the obvious. You're a Devels fan, are you not?
Yes, I'm a devils fan first. But I'm also a Hurricanes fan, and I enjoy watching the Flames. Bennett, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Ryan, and Backlund are a few of the guys I enjoy watching, besides just Gaudreau.

I enjoy posting in these threads because I like the back and forth with many who contribute as well. I don't understand why that bothers you so much when you can just ignore me.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't want to start a Sean Monahan fight but if you're going to be a goalscorer and nothing else you have to score goals.

Honestly a tough game for Sean. I don't blame him though. He's just doing what he's told. He's not forcing anyone to deploy him in a specific way.

That said, he struggled enough to create offense when Lindholm was on his wing. What did the coaching staff think was going to happen by downgrading so significantly to Leivo.

That line will never work. How many times did Gaudreau come down the wing and just fire a slap shot because he had no support? That's never been a part of his game but it's all he can really do with such slow linemates.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Were you even watching the same thing I was? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The guy lead out team in even strength TOI, got butchered on defensive zone starts, was still a positive possession player and made some great plays tonight.

Tanev and Hanifin were the best overall pairing we had tonight, just totally solid. Tanev especially popped as a guy who is incredible defensively.

I agree 100%. Hanifin looked way better than Valimaki. For those thinking we can trade Hanifin because Val can play those minutes after missing basically two years are dreaming.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For sure. I don't think Markstrom can be faulted on any of the four goals, and between them he made some fantastic plays. I like how he uses his stick to defend passes, too.

Fault? probably no
Did he play like a top goalie? definitely no

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That line will never work. How many times did Gaudreau come down the wing and just fire a slap shot because he had no support? That's never been a part of his game but it's all he can really do with such slow linemates.

Yeah sick of those low percentage shots

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree 100%. Hanifin looked way better than Valimaki. For those thinking we can trade Hanifin because Val can play those minutes after missing basically two years are dreaming.

Valimaki looked great too. I think the defence looked solid for the most part minus some Gio lapses... but yeah, call a spade a spade. Hanifin looked as good as he did when him and Andersson were ripping it up for us last year in the playoffs.

Juike will eventually ascend, because he’s that damn good, but he’s not 21 minutes a night in the NHL, all defensive zones, against top players good as of today.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Yes, I'm a devils fan first. But I'm also a Hurricanes fan, and I enjoy watching the Flames. Bennett, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Ryan, and Backlund are a few of the guys I enjoy watching, besides just Gaudreau.

I enjoy posting in these threads because I like the back and forth with many who contribute as well. I don't understand why that bothers you so much when you can just ignore me.
I think its your blatant bias towards Gaudreau that bothers me the most. Hes the most skilled forward on either team, imo, and until he quits playing like a 15 year old in the NHL, it won't matter who he's with. He's the guy that player should be put with to get going, not the other way around. Continually attacking an, all be it lesser player, that should be more than sufficient to complement a player of his stature and has in the past, is counter productive.
My apologies, tough loss. There are far worse posters than you around here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hey @super6646 , you kind of get how Tanev is really good, but his stats on a spreadsheet don’t really show it now? Or are you still in full meltdown mode?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think the least encouraging thing about this team is their footspeed. When they play quickly and support each other like in the 1st they mirror Vegas. When they stop it looks ugly like in the 2nd

It's not amazing that our taxi squad is pretty slow either. Can we put Kylington opposite Gaudreau's wing

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hey @super6646 , you kind of get how Tanev is really good, but his stats on a spreadsheet don’t really show it now? Or are you still in full meltdown mode?

You read my flamesnation post already or what? :laugh:

I will say I was pleasantly surprised. We'll see as the season goes along and how the contract ages out, but I was impressed tonight.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I would keep the top two lines as is. It’s just one game. Then go with that new line of Bennett-Backs-Mangi.

Then go with classic defensive 4th line in Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon.

Bench Lucic, enough with the salary cap and veteran apologist attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad