GDT: Flames @ Jets - 5pm MT on SN

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
my favorite comments from the Oilers ATL

- The Flames are just beating teams the Oilers would have beat on this streak

- said by a fan of a team that lost to Nashville, Islanders, Lightning during the duration of our streak.

- The Flames are peaking too early.

- said by a fan of a team that went
7-1-0 to start October
then
14-14-7
then
7-0-1 in mid-January
then
7-8-1

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He's cherry picking numbers because he doesn't like Brouwer and is one of those ****ing idiots that is a slave to advanced stats. When it comes to him the old saying, "if brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose" comes to mind.
13 shots against 0 for is pretty simple and pretty bad

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
It's pretty nice when the team doesn't play well and we win 3-0.

We have 4 lines playing well, above average D, and a goalie playing lights out. Can't wait for Monday.
A big test against the defending champs.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Given Backlund's career path and with him doing so well offensively now, you'd think folks would have learned to be a lot more patient with young centers like Bennett but I guess not.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
He's cherry picking numbers because he doesn't like Brouwer and is one of those ****ing idiots that is a slave to advanced stats. When it comes to him the old saying, "if brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose" comes to mind.

It doesn't even take stats to know Brouwer is bad. Hated it the moment we signed him...

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
It does take "hits" stats to make a lame argument that Brouwer is good though.

There was a person on these boards who was actually posting hit stats about Brouwer to prove he was a good hockey player. :laugh:

Dude's a classic trap FA signing. Older player that's a posession blackhole and if he ain't scoring he's useless...yikes. And yet he always seem to win a Selke in my nhl '09 sims

LUV Carti*

Mar 3, 2017
Kiss Land
Bennett is clearly having an off year offensively, but he's not the first player to ever struggle in their second pro-season. People act like the concept of the "sophomore slump" doesn't apply to him - and that he's finished developing at 20 years of age.

He's shown potential to be a special player in this league and when he puts it together, we'll all be laughing

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Despite some of the absolute beauties we've seen from Tkachuk, I still think this:

[NHL2]t-277437092/c-46743003[/NHL2]

is the best assist any Flame has made this season.

You just can't teach that kind of high-end offensive awareness.

LUV Carti*

Mar 3, 2017
Kiss Land
Agreed. I don't want him to become a goon longterm, but it's refreshing to see a guy do whatever it's gonna take to give his team a boost whether it's a goal, a block, hit or a fight. Bennett is finding a way to make an impact and he should be applauded for it.

I said this a while ago, but this team needed some character and some spine. Now you see a guy like Bennett, that roughed up Johansen (who's 6'4) and a tough mutha in Trouba, that really rallies a team. When Bennett starts scoring, he's going to be such a complete player and it's going to be fun watching him. I really want to see him play with Frolik.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd love to see how this top 9 played together for a couple of games. Lazar gets the "Backlund Boost", and Frolik gets put on Bennett's line to add some scoring prowess and a better transition game.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lazar
Versteeg-Bennett-Frolik

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Bennett line is highly flawed right now. Two very slow wingers, and a centre still learning the position. Backlund is also the best skater of his line, but it works because he's always in the right position to support the puck. Bennett needs to learn that. As it is, the play is dying on the sticks of Versteeg and Brouwer while they need support. Neither of those guys seems to have the ability to skate the puck through the neutral zone without being overtaken and losing it. But that's basically the name of the game as a young centre.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Bennett line is highly flawed right now. Two very slow wingers, and a centre still learning the position. Backlund is also the best skater of his line, but it works because he's always in the right position to support the puck. Bennett needs to learn that. As it is, the play is dying on the sticks of Versteeg and Brouwer while they need support. Neither of those guys seems to have the ability to skate the puck through the neutral zone without being overtaken and losing it. But that's basically the name of the game as a young centre.

Totally agree AS. The one piece that this team is now missing is that winger that has some chemistry with Bennett. If the Flames had that 3rd line going, Elliott maintained his level of play, and Stone is not out longterm, the Flames could make some noise this postseason. Bennett isn't at a level that he can carry a line by himself.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Huge win tonight. Wish LA lost, but as long as we keep winning IDK what Edmonton, LA, St Louis, Anaheim or Nashville do.

LUV Carti*

Mar 3, 2017
Kiss Land
I really should get snacks the next time I visit the Oilers ATL thread after a win :laugh:

About as pure a comedic read as you can find on the internet

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I really should get snacks the next time I visit the Oilers ATL thread after a win :laugh:

About as pure a comedic read as you can find on the internet

I'm hoping for an Oilers meltdown and for them to lose 10 of their last 15 and miss the playoffs.

For such a mediocre team, their fans are incredibly arrogant. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
13 shots against 0 for is pretty simple and pretty bad
You do realize that also means Bennett and Versteeg were also pretty close to 13-0, right? That entire line combined for 2 shots and 4 shot attempts, both shots and 3 of the attempts were Versteeg and wouldn't even be a little shocked if they were on the PP. The line as a whole was poor in the offensive zone, not just Brouwer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dude's a classic trap FA signing. Older player that's a posession blackhole and if he ain't scoring he's useless...yikes. And yet he always seem to win a Selke in my nhl '09 sims
He is doesn't score he's useless? He's been a good penalty killer all year, not to mention one of our more physical forwards. Offensively he hasn't been as good as was hoped, but everything else is exactly what he was brought in for, which is the fact he is not useless when he doesn't have the puck and he's good in the room. You are so hung up on possession stats that you ignore the positives he does bring. I'm not going to pretend he's having a great year, because he's not but calling him useless is absolutely clueless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad