GDT: Flames @ Hawks, 6:30 PM MT - SNET "All Hail the Mighty Matxhuos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I loved seeing Dougie drop back to back Hawks behind the net. We need him to go green more often. :laugh:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
kulak was outstanding in his three games.. Engelland has had a rough couple games and belongs back on the third pair. Wideman should eat popcorn.

I'd like to see what Kulak can do in the top four. It's not like we were good at defense last year/or this year with our proven vets

Brodie-Gio
Kulak-Hamilton
Jokkipakka-Engelland

I'd like to get Kulak in the lineup, but he doesn't bring the big PP shot Wideman brings, and Wideman was actually decent last night. Not sure who you'd sit for him, put him in for Engelland and we're softer than taco *****.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The team's success starts in net. The D has hung both goalies out to dry a lot this year, but Elliot has let in a lot of bad goals. He's bound to get better and a team like Chicago that's he's played a lot could help. I don't expect him to stop everything, but it'd be nice to start to see some big, timely saves. A few of those and the whole team can build on that.

I believe the opposite is true. Success will start with generating more and better chances than we allow. Then we can look to goaltending as a factor to put us over the top in games.

I mean, we've had games recently where we go 20-30 minutes without a scoring chance. Under those circumstances, goaltending is a non-factor.

Sooo... which was it? :dunno:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I noticed Monahan had some good defensive shifts going up against Toews. OT was a mess but regulation he looked better than previous games.

The thing that bugs me about Monahan critics is this, he's 22 years old. Do we want a Sean Couturier player, or do we want an Eric Staal? Not only that, he is not even bad in his own end. A certain group on here knock his defensive play all the time and it is so overstated. It's his 4th season, but he's only 22 and up until this season he was playing in a run and gun type system that doesn't do a player like him, facing other teams top players many favours. Monahan is fine defensively, no he's not Bergeron or Kopitar, but he may still evolve into that player especially if Bennett emerges as a better offensive option. I know this, he's already a top FO guy in the NHL and at his age that is every exciting to think about.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'd like to get Kulak in the lineup, but he doesn't bring the big PP shot Wideman brings, and Wideman was actually decent last night. Not sure who you'd sit for him, put him in for Engelland and we're softer than taco *****.

Like I said I'd sit Wideman. I just don't think he helps this team 5 on 5. Maybe he helps us on the PP a bit. But Gio, Hamilton and Brodie should be able to handle that.

Kulak and Tkachuky cheese should play tonight though. Sitting guys back to back makes no sense.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The thing that bugs me about Monahan critics is this, he's 22 years old. Do we want a Sean Couturier player, or do we want an Eric Staal? Not only that, he is not even bad in his own end. A certain group on here knock his defensive play all the time and it is so overstated. It's his 4th season, but he's only 22 and up until this season he was playing in a run and gun type system that doesn't do a player like him, facing other teams top players many favours. Monahan is fine defensively, no he's not Bergeron or Kopitar, but he may still evolve into that player especially if Bennett emerges as a better offensive option. I know this, he's already a top FO guy in the NHL and at his age that is every exciting to think about.

100% agree man. How good he's getting at faceoffs bodes well for his defensive future. He'll be leaned on more and more defensively because of his faceoff ability. I think most of his criticism has been very premature this seasons, and that has been the case every damn year he's been in the league. No wonder we can't have nice things :laugh:

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Very exciting game!

That overtime though, sheesh my heart...

It is very obvious in those situations how our stars still have lots of room to grow a proper balance of poise and intensity for times like that overtime. The Hawks stars were relentless while calm and it seemed like our "equal" line just couldn't match it. It was interesting how the 3-on-3 format made it so apparent.

Hoping for this to carry over in to St. Louis :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad