Friedman: Flames have a lot of interest on Luke Schenn

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I don’t think schenn will return a 1st. I’m even skeptical he returns a 2nd. I’d be ecstatic if he fetches either but I think at most he nets a 3rd + meh prospect.

Im sure Columbus would happily give you gudbranson for free though
Gudbranson and zad was a great 3rd pair for us. Its a pick your posion thing between giving a first for schenn or taking gudbranson for free, i do the gudbranson for free lol. I think schenn will get at least a 2nd, he seems to be one of the better D available, still a 6th D for us tho

Bond

May 10, 2012
McJedi is not a Canucks fan lol.

Schenn is easily worth a 2023 2nd round pick or a B+ prospect. That’s how much rentals cost and that’s what’s going to take.

Schenn for Connor Zary is good.
Lol a good trade for the canucks maybe

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I don't like the players that the Flames are rumored to be in on. Seems they are just trying to get bigger without getting better

The Flames can't score and yet we're rumored around all these grinders

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
McJedi is not a Canucks fan lol.

Schenn is easily worth a 2023 2nd round pick or a B+ prospect. That’s how much rentals cost and that’s what’s going to take.

Schenn for Connor Zary is good.

No, no it's not. That's a 1st round pick that's already developed a ways. He's also the Flames best(only) top 6 center prospect.

Schenn is a bottom pairing D, you can have a 3rd and somebody like Whynot or Jordan.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Friedman says he has been told by a couple of sources that Flames have alot of interest on Luke Schenn.

It Makes sense as Schenn is definitely a Darryl Sutter kinda guy. Here's what Sutter had to say about Schenn earlier this season

“Luke. I like Luke Schenn a lot. I coached him in LA. He’s a top guy. He’d be captain on most teams. I like that.”

Could the Canucks be a 1 stop shop for the FLames. Flames are also in need of scoring wingers. The Canucks have made Boeser available.

These 2 teams seem like a good fit to be trading partners. Flames dont like playing young prospects and are in win now mode, while the Canucks are starting their rebuild and have some players that could be valuable to a playoff team.

My proposal

Schenn
Boeser

for

1st
Lucic

They say Flames capped out next year. So no way they can add Boeser.

Schenn for a first and cap dump though, Flames probably do. Schenn veteran D, they go overvalued at deadlines. Removing Lucic gives them caproom.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Too much interest in Schenn for the time being, to settle for anything less than a 2nd or maybe a lesser pick along with a prospect, but something along those lines. Just a 3rd isn't enough at this point.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Smart..... Lose gudbranson to ufa and use 1st to try to replace him. Seems legit. I don't even doubt schenn gets a 1st, but it's not gonna be from Calgary. We ain't trading a 1st for a guy to be our 6th best D

Schenn isn't getting a 1st the talent pool is to deep

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
There is a 0% chance Calgary would be stupid enough to trade the pending UFA Lucic for Boeser’s terrible contract. What makes Lucic far more valuable than Boeser is that his deal ends in June. And you’re stuck with the bad Boeser contract until July 2025.

Take both of them out of this OP. Schenn to Calgary for a 4th + Pelletier or zary would be interesting.

He’s worth more than that.
Bwahahaha. Schenn for a 4th AND Pelletier or Zary? Dream on.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi and CF84

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
People don’t seem to understand that Calgary is capped out next year and that’s without Lucic. They can’t make any kind of move for a contract without also moving a contract out.

Schenn makes sense as a depth D this year since it looks like Kylington will not play at all. Boeser makes no sense for the Flames. They just can’t afford his salary.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No, no it's not. That's a 1st round pick that's already developed a ways. He's also the Flames best(only) top 6 center prospect.

Schenn is a bottom pairing D, you can have a 3rd and somebody like Whynot or Jordan.
And you can have Dermott for that.

Where a player was drafted doesn't have any bearing on their value now. Zary is almost three years out from being drafted, so if his biggest draw is where he was drafted, he's not a great prospect. You can bring up his speed, his overall and two-way game, his being a PPG in the AHL....it doesn't matter if he's a 1st round or 5th round pick or undrafted entirely.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I do get a sense that Boeser is undervalued on HF but valued by real GMs since he is a 1 shot game-breaker type of player. The fact that he is a winger with term i think prevent him from returning a 1st round pick on his own. If a team with cap space wants Boeser on his own without sending money back 1 for 1 i think Boeser is worth a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick.
I realize it’s unfair to pick one moment in time and use it as evidence of anything, but: the one moment in time this one shot scoring gamebreaker actually had a chance to make a difference in a game that mattered, his one shot was saved. Canucks lose. Season over. 🤷‍♀️

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
And you can have Dermott for that.

Where a player was drafted doesn't have any bearing on their value now. Zary is almost three years out from being drafted, so if his biggest draw is where he was drafted, he's not a great prospect. You can bring up his speed, his overall and two-way game, his being a PPG in the AHL....it doesn't matter if he's a 1st round or 5th round pick or undrafted entirely.

Well that's certainly a take. Not a very good one, but it does qualify.

Guess the Canucks should trade Schenn for Byfield then, since Zary and him have produced at the same clip in the AHL since being drafted, and where they were drafted has apparently no bearing on what the value of a 21 year old prospect is.

Hell in Schenn's own history the bolded can be disproved. The Leafs were able to trade Schenn for the productive young forward JVR largely on the value he still held as a #5 overall draft pick. He was a 20pt dman who largely was considered a disappointment. He hasn't even hit 20pts since. You don't get one of an organization's top 5 prospects for spare parts like Luke Schenn.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well that's certainly a take. Not a very good one, but it does qualify.

Guess the Canucks should trade Schenn for Byfield then, since Zary and him have produced at the same clip in the AHL since being drafted, and where they were drafted has apparently no bearing on what the value of a 21 year old prospect is.

Hell in Schenn's own history the bolded can be disproved. The Leafs were able to trade Schenn for the productive young forward JVR largely on the value he still held as a #5 overall draft pick. He was a 20pt dman who largely was considered a disappointment. He hasn't even hit 20pts since. You don't get one of an organization's top 5 prospects for spare parts like Luke Schenn.
What was that about a bad take? I'm saying sell the value of a prospect by their skillset or potential years after their draft, and that is what you took away? Yikes.

But tell me, who was Schenn traded for? A 40ish point forward that was drafted the year before. Just because he was a 5th overall pick doesn't mean Schenn was worth more then what he was at that point. Van Riemsdyk was drafted second overall, and both were traded as underperforming young players, relative to where they were drafted.

Also, if your argument holds water, who does Calgary have to offer for a former 5th overall pick? What's the cut off point for this logic?

A top 5 prospect in an organization means little. Lysell isn't suddenly worth, say, Byfield, because they are both a top prospect of their team.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What was that about a bad take? I'm saying sell the value of a prospect by their skillset or potential years after their draft, and that is what you took away? Yikes.

But tell me, who was Schenn traded for? A 40ish point forward that was drafted the year before. Just because he was a 5th overall pick doesn't mean Schenn was worth more then what he was at that point. Van Riemsdyk was drafted second overall, and both were traded as underperforming young players, relative to where they were drafted.

Also, if your argument holds water, who does Calgary have to offer for a former 5th overall pick? What's the cut off point for this logic?

A top 5 prospect in an organization means little. Lysell isn't suddenly worth, say, Byfield, because they are both a top prospect of their team.

If a player is drafted in the 1st round, the skillset and potential is implied. That's why they were drafted there and not in the 5th round.

I dunno where the cutoff is but I'm quite certain it's before a player plays 912 NHL games. Sure a top 5 organizational prospect means something. It means they don't get traded for league minimum 33 year old dmen who haven't played 70+ games in 8 years. The Canucks will take a 3rd or possibly a 2nd from an especially desperate team and be happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CF84 and Nanuuk

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If a player is drafted in the 1st round, the skillset and potential is implied. That's why they were drafted there and not in the 5th round.

I dunno where the cutoff is but I'm quite certain it's before a player plays 912 NHL games. Sure a top 5 organizational prospect means something. It means they don't get traded for league minimum 33 year old dmen who haven't played 70+ games in 8 years. The Canucks will take a 3rd or possibly a 2nd from an especially desperate team and be happy with it.
So how long until that implied potential is, well, not. How long until it's crystallized? If Zary was drafted in the 5th round, and developed his current skill set in the last 2+ years, would he still be your top prospect? We're not talking months after a draft, so again, at what point does a prospect stand on his own as an asset? Or is it the title that we should all be impressed with?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I dont think defense is the issue the Flames need to address....... But maybe thats just me

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So how long until that implied potential is, well, not. How long until it's crystallized? If Zary was drafted in the 5th round, and developed his current skill set in the last 2+ years, would he still be your top prospect? We're not talking months after a draft, so again, at what point does a prospect stand on his own as an asset? Or is it the title that we should all be impressed with?
Zary is not our top prospect. That is clearly Wolf. But the Flames don’t really trade prospects, which is their one saving grace. This whole thread is mute until they do. Picks on the other hand they give away like candy.

All of Zary, Pelletier, Wolf, Coronato and Poirier will be solid NHL players. Wolf is really the only blue-chip prospect in the system though.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Zary is not our top prospect. That is clearly Wolf. But the Flames don’t really trade prospects, which is their one saving grace. This whole thread is mute until they do. Picks on the other hand they give away like candy.

All of Zary, Pelletier, Wolf, Coronato and Poirier will be solid NHL players. Wolf is really the only blue-chip prospect in the system though.
Hey, fair play. Wolf is a hell of a prospect. I'm not trying to hate on Zary, he's a fine prospect, but being Team X's top prospect because of draft position, when he'd be fifth, or tenth, or whateverth, on Team Y's prospect depth chart doesn't mean that Prospect X is going to be valued more then a comparable prospect that might be third l, or seventh, or whateverth, from elsewhere, at least to Team Y.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
At nearly $7M cap hit I guarantee you they wouldn't.

I'm not surprised to see Canucks fans value points the way they do though. That's the type of basic mindset that your management would have and why Vancouver is a laughing joke to the rest of the league. Just like with JT Miller last year.

View attachment 645410
Why are you addicted to taking a shit on the Canucks in every single thread involving them? Your team is the defending Stanley Cup champ - don't you have anything better to do?

LMAOOOOOOOOOO who hurt this guy

Lucic is dead weight, dumping him can open up more moves for the Flames.

but ya if there arent more bigger moves that require cap spcae then Lucic can ride along for the playoff run i guess.
Right??

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I'm not really sure what you're asking anymore. He was drafted late in the 1st round and has performed roughly up to those expectations since then. If he hadn't then his value would be lower, if he had exceeded expectations his value would be higher. Just like a 5th round pick exceeding expectations would raise their value as an asset.

He's standing on his own right now, his body of work pre-draft was enough to get him picked in the 1st round and his body of work after has reinforced that value and the belief that this is a good center prospect playing an important role on a great AHL team. If you're interested there's threads on this website about him, profiles done by scouts on him, prospect updates done by beat reporters on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad