Friedman: Flames have a lot of interest on Luke Schenn

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Friedman says he has been told by a couple of sources that Flames have alot of interest on Luke Schenn.

It Makes sense as Schenn is definitely a Darryl Sutter kinda guy. Here's what Sutter had to say about Schenn earlier this season

“Luke. I like Luke Schenn a lot. I coached him in LA. He’s a top guy. He’d be captain on most teams. I like that.”

Could the Canucks be a 1 stop shop for the FLames. Flames are also in need of scoring wingers. The Canucks have made Boeser available.

These 2 teams seem like a good fit to be trading partners. Flames dont like playing young prospects and are in win now mode, while the Canucks are starting their rebuild and have some players that could be valuable to a playoff team.

My proposal

Schenn
Boeser

for

1st
Lucic

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Friedman says he has been told by a couple of sources that Flames have alot of interest on Luke Schenn.

It Makes sense as Schenn is definitely a Darryl Sutter kinda guy. Here's what Sutter had to say about Schenn earlier this season

“Luke. I like Luke Schenn a lot. I coached him in LA. He’s a top guy. He’d be captain on most teams. I like that.”

Could the Canucks be a 1 stop shop for the FLames. Flames are also in need of scoring wingers. The Canucks have made Boeser available.

These 2 teams seem like a good fit to be trading partners. Flames dont like playing young prospects and are in win now mode, while the Canucks are starting their rebuild and have some players that could be valuable to a playoff team.

My proposal

Schenn
Boeser

for

1st
Lucic

hahah, not sure you can get rid of Lucic with getting Boeser back as well .
Schenn is likely worth at least a 2nd. Boeser I think could get a 1st or a really good prospect. You want both while shedding Lucic.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Schenn is likely worth at least a 2nd. Boeser I think could get a 1st or a really good prospect. You want both while shedding Lucic.
A lot of Canucks fans think Boeser is worthless. I doubt a 1st for him though. I think they are both worth a second, so if we take Lucic back I think it would be Schenn + Boeser for Lucic + 1st + 2nd

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

I do get a sense that Boeser is undervalued on HF but valued by real GMs since he is a 1 shot game-breaker type of player. The fact that he is a winger with term i think prevent him from returning a 1st round pick on his own. If a team with cap space wants Boeser on his own without sending money back 1 for 1 i think Boeser is worth a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick.

Reactions: DeltaSwede

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Boeser is not worth a 1st on any planet lol, unless we retain 50% for the next two years.

But if we're taking back Lucic (gross), I'd definitely ask for Zary or Phillips coming back, which the Flames probably won't do.

Schenn + Boeser for Kylington would be interesting. Although with that the Canucks would need more insight as to what's going on and a timeline for a potential return.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Smart..... Lose gudbranson to ufa and use 1st to try to replace him. Seems legit. I don't even doubt schenn gets a 1st, but it's not gonna be from Calgary. We ain't trading a 1st for a guy to be our 6th best D

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
A lot of Canucks fans think Boeser is worthless. I doubt a 1st for him though. I think they are both worth a second, so if we take Lucic back I think it would be Schenn + Boeser for Lucic + 1st + 2nd
Most educated fans would disagree. The guy have 30 points in 40 games and isn’t nearly at his best.

I don’t agree that he would get a 1st back or anything just because he makes too much money.

But, if the Canucks retain and take back Lucic I would say something else would have to come back.

Maybe a RHD prospect? I don’t know your prospects well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Boeser is literally worth nothing. Without retention he is a negative value cap dump. Lucic is a UFA this year, he's easily tradable.

This is honestly laughable for Calgary. Basically a 1st for Schenn and taking on a replacement bad contract for Lucic that extends beyond this year. Just horrible really.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Boeser is literally worth nothing. Without retention he is a negative value cap dump. Lucic is a UFA this year, he's easily tradable.

This is honestly laughable for Calgary. Basically a 1st for Schenn and taking on a replacement bad contract for Lucic that extends beyond this year. Just horrible really.

I'm sure the Flames would welcome a "nothing" player like Boeser who would have more points than Dube, Backlund, Mangiapane, Coleman despite playing 10 less games or so.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm sure the Flames would welcome a "nothing" player like Boeser who would have more points than Dube, Backlund, Mangiapane, Coleman despite playing 10 less games or so.

At nearly $7M cap hit I guarantee you they wouldn't.

I'm not surprised to see Canucks fans value points the way they do though. That's the type of basic mindset that your management would have and why Vancouver is a laughing joke to the rest of the league. Just like with JT Miller last year.

Screenshot-2023-01-29-at-8.55.25-PM.png

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

I'm not surprised to see Canucks fans value points the way they do though. That's the type of basic mindset that your management would have and why Vancouver is a laughing joke to the rest of the league. Just like with JT Miller last year.

LMAOOOOOOOOOO who hurt this guy

Why is Calgary dumping Lucic when they currently have over 5M cap space?

Schenn does make a lot of sense though if Kylington isn't coming back

Lucic is dead weight, dumping him can open up more moves for the Flames.

but ya if there arent more bigger moves that require cap spcae then Lucic can ride along for the playoff run i guess.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I can see this happening. Totally a Daryl Sutter player

He definitely is, to be fair Schenn is every coachs's kinda player.

No other adds, I think Schenn to Calgary for a 2nd or 3rd would be a good trade for both sides... or an equivalent type of prospect.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Boeser? Have you seen their cap situation next year? That initial offer is horrible value for Vancouver, but it's still a bad idea for Calgary.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

View attachment 645410

What a rude thing to say.

Don't think Boeser is worth much - most Canuck fans would agree. Just visit our own board and see for yourself.

Its 2 more yrs at 6.5 on a guy that is clearly not playing at the level he's capable of and probably needs a change of scenery. Even still, he manages to put up points. That has SOME value, although not a lot. I'd guess he's worth a late 2nd or early 3rd at the moment.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

$6.6M for two more years, scoring RW. Ok maybe not a first due to his lack of ability to stay healthy, but I don't think his deal is bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad