Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter head coach

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It just lists his successes over a 17 year career. None of the negatives, especially recently.

There's a reason he was fired and has been available.
The negatives regarding Sutter are when he is kept past his best before date. He like most hard nosed disciplinarian coaches all have a shelf life of 3 to 4 years before players start to tune it out.
In his presser he basically said he was only going to coach again if Calgary or Chicago asked him to which is why he was available now

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
It's going to be nice to have accountability in the locker room for the first time since Hartley. Unlike Bob, Darryl will command respect and won't resort to mean-spirited bullying to send messages to players.

This was a shot across the bow to the core players. This guy's got more term than you so either you get with the program or you're out because we're not firing coaches anymore. That said, still don't really know if Treliving wanted to make this move yet.

I'm very curious to see what Sutter does with Monahan, Tkachuk, Hanifin, and Bennett. People are saying that Gaudreau will break under him but John's got the right mentality for the Flames - he thinks like a winner, just needs to shake off the bad games better.

Here's my question.......do you think any of those players care if they are moved off the team? Times have changed, the idea of being benched or traded doesn't carry a stigma anymore. I'm sure most of those names would be chomping at the bit to be traded. Those guys are all young, picking up and moving, possibly to a much better team, is hardly a threat.

I think team loyalty is a thing of the past.......it's all about "me" now.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Sutter takes off his cowboy boots and hat, and zips up his track suite. He's back.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Here's my question.......do you think any of those players care if they are moved off the team? Times have changed, the idea of being benched or traded doesn't carry a stigma anymore. I'm sure most of those names would be chomping at the bit to be traded. Those guys are all young, picking up and moving, possibly to a much better team, is hardly a threat.

I think team loyalty is a thing of the past.......it's all about "me" now.
Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far to the "me" side but for a lot of the years players got the short end of the stick from the league and owners and owners didn't have a lot of loyalty towards players. Loyalty goes both ways.

I do think you're wrong, in general, about the players. I think they care and I think winning trumps all. Most will do what ever it takes to win, with a good coach at the helm and good team mates at their side. NHL players are very competitive people. They didn't get where they are by not being competitive.

I also think getting benched is a big hit to most players egos and pride and they don't like it. Most want to be on the ice playing.. not sitting in the press box eating popcorn. They play because they love it, not because of any other reason. That's why its so difficult for most to retire when its time. Most are very wealthy and they certainly don't need or want to keep playing because of the money.

As far as getting traded... they know the game is a business and its a fact of life in the hockey business. I suspect most would prefer not getting traded. They are part of a community, they have friends/girlfriends, their family has friends, they are comfortable. Getting traded uproots their whole life.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
One of the biggest challenges this year is team functions where the wives, girl friends, and kids can get together for some fun. When people speak about Darryl Sutter, family and loyalty are two of the characteristics he tries to instill in his club. He won't have to reinforce that much with the Flames. They have a very tight locker room. What they are missing are the guys willing for fall on a grenade for the others. Go that extra mile so to speak. I think Sutter will instill that all for one and one for all mentality, because if you don't you're part of the problem and won't be here that long.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
One of the biggest challenges this year is team functions where the wives, girl friends, and kids can get together for some fun. When people speak about Darryl Sutter, family and loyalty are two of the characteristics he tries to instill in his club. He won't have to reinforce that much with the Flames. They have a very tight locker room. What they are missing are the guys willing for fall on a grenade for the others. Go that extra mile so to speak. I think Sutter will instill that all for one and one for all mentality, because if you don't you're part of the problem and won't be here that long.
Well said

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far to the "me" side but for a lot of the years players got the short end of the stick from the league and owners and owners didn't have a lot of loyalty towards players. Loyalty goes both ways.

I do think you're wrong, in general, about the players. I think they care and I think winning trumps all. Most will do what ever it takes to win, with a good coach at the helm and good team mates at their side. NHL players are very competitive people. They didn't get where they are by not being competitive.

I also think getting benched is a big hit to most players egos and pride and they don't like it. Most want to be on the ice playing.. not sitting in the press box eating popcorn. They play because they love it, not because of any other reason. That's why its so difficult for most to retire when its time. Most are very wealthy and they certainly don't need or want to keep playing because of the money.

As far as getting traded... they know the game is a business and its a fact of life in the hockey business. I suspect most would prefer not getting traded. They are part of a community, they have friends/girlfriends, their family has friends, they are comfortable. Getting traded uproots their whole life.

Oh, don't get me wrong, loyalty does go both ways. But as you said, it's a business.

I do understand that winning trumps everything, so my question to you is this, why are they losing so much? This isn't a .500 team, not in the North Divison, and certainly not with the goaltending they've gotten. Yet here we are. I'd say this team, apart from a certain group, cares very little about winning. If they did, they wouldn't be putting in efforts like we've seen this year.

The "country club" is a term that gets thrown around a lot when describing the Flames. This group is, as you said, comfortable. Comfortable just getting by. Well, this is the NHL, there is no place for that.

We are going to see very quickly who wants to win and who doesn't with Darryl behind the bench. And I for one, will be happy to see anyone not willing to "jump on the grenade" get shipped out of town. And I do mean anyone.....

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes. Its about time the players started playing for each other instead of playing for themselves. Too many individuals... not enough team.
Sutter will DEMAND that type of play.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oh, don't get me wrong, loyalty does go both ways. But as you said, it's a business.

I do understand that winning trumps everything, so my question to you is this, why are they losing so much? This isn't a .500 team, not in the North Divison, and certainly not with the goaltending they've gotten. Yet here we are. I'd say this team, apart from a certain group, cares very little about winning. If they did, they wouldn't be putting in efforts like we've seen this year.

The "country club" is a term that gets thrown around a lot when describing the Flames. This group is, as you said, comfortable. Comfortable just getting by. Well, this is the NHL, there is no place for that.

We are going to see very quickly who wants to win and who doesn't with Darryl behind the bench. And I for one, will be happy to see anyone not willing to "jump on the grenade" get shipped out of town. And I do mean anyone.....
Because the coach(s) haven't DEMANDED better from the players. Most players, like most people, have to be pushed to perform at their 100% capability. And they also need to start playing as a team. Too many individual efforts, or lack thereof, and not enough team effort is support of each other.

Reactions: HugginThePost

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Because the coach(s) haven't DEMANDED better from the players. Most players, like most people, have to be pushed to perform at their 100% capability. And they also need to start playing as a team. Too many individual efforts, or lack thereof, and not enough team effort is support of each other.

Brother, I hope you're right!!!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

hqdefault.jpg

Bruh....why not Keenan?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Flames finally stopped bringing in stop gap goalies by signing Markstrom.

Then they finally stopped bringing in amateur coaches by bringing back Sutter.

Now it's time to finally stop hiring rookie GM's and time to let Brad Treloving go. Either bring back Brian Burke or offer Lanny MacDonald a contract.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB

Now it's time to finally stop hiring rookie GM's and time to let Brad Treloving go. Either bring back Brian Burke or offer Lanny MacDonald a contract.

No rookie GMs but you want Lanny, the car salesman, to be the new GM

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Uh... didn't you hear that Burkie just signed with the Pens as their President of Hockey Operations?
As for Lanny??? LOL. The guy is 68 years old without an ounce of GM experience, or Assistant GM experience, or any managerial experience for that matter.

Aug 3, 2010

This post is satire, right? I mean, bad satire is still satire I guess.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Doesn’t matter who the flames hire for a coach, they still have the same mediocre team that won’t win anything with the current players. They should probably just fold the franchise and turn the saddledome area into pasture land for Sutter to raise his cows. Would be more interesting watching cows graze then it would be watching that awful hockey team.

Reactions: Arctic Fox

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
No rookie GMs but you want Lanny, the car salesman, to be the new GM
Living in southern AB I can't count the number of times I have heard someone suggest Lanny for GM or coach of the Flames. Dude has been put on the highest pedestal Calgary has to offer.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Doesn’t matter who the flames hire for a coach, they still have the same mediocre team that won’t win anything with the current players. They should probably just fold the franchise and turn the saddledome area into pasture land for Sutter to raise his cows. Would be more interesting watching cows graze then it would be watching that awful hockey team.

Tell us how you really feel. Did a Flames fan beat you up?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Living in southern AB I can't count the number of times I have heard someone suggest Lanny for GM or coach of the Flames. Dude has been put on the highest pedestal Calgary has to offer.
Oh come on . Stop making stuff up to support your ridiculous suggestion.
Lanny is loved but I've NEVER heard anyone say he should be the coach or GM... and I've lived in Calgary for 40 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->