News: Flames file for club-elected arbitration with Matthew Tkachuk

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers fan here. That said, I really have nothing against the Flames organization or fan base per se, but watching Eric Francis have a meltdown with every article he writes lately sure is hilarious. :laugh:
Im a Flames fan and I agree. Francis is such a hack, awful journalist, And given he's the main Flames reporter and employed by Sportsnet, he probably half the reason we're losing guys. I still remember when he laid into Brodie for not being dedicated enough because he didn't go to the World Championship because he was taking care of his wife who was Ill, or something to that effect.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Im a Flames fan and I agree. Francis is such a hack, awful journalist, And given he's the main Flames reporter and employed by Sportsnet, he probably half the reason we're losing guys. I still remember when he laid into Brodie for not being dedicated enough because he didn't go to the World Championship because he was taking care of his wife who was Ill, or something to that effect.
His wife had MS. Francis didn't know that though. It wasn't public knowledge at the time. Francis is a click bait journalist, but a fantastic member of the community. If you ever met him I guarantee you'd like him personally.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
His wife had MS. Francis didn't know that though. It wasn't public knowledge at the time. Francis is a click bait journalist, but a fantastic member of the community. If you ever met him I guarantee you'd like him personally.
Probably not because I can't stand click bait journalist types. Just because someone does charity work and such doesn't mean I'd like them personally.

Duder54

And to be fair, us Oilers fans have to deal with the drivel that Mark Spector puts out. For my money, Francis is the worst of the bunch, but Spec is a pretty close second.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How much is Tkachuk asking for ? 10M range ? I don't know if it's been mentioned but would a deal involving Nylander + be considered ? He's a good player and still has 2 years remaining at 6.9M, was also born in Calgary. We would have to send more salary to make it work, but would flames fans consider a deal based around him as the main piece ?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
How much is Tkachuk asking for ? 10M range ? I don't know if it's been mentioned but would a deal involving Nylander + be considered ? He's a good player and still has 2 years remaining at 6.9M, was also born in Calgary. We would have to send more salary to make it work, but would flames fans consider a deal based around him as the main piece ?

I would advise against this. Since the salary cap was created only 1 player with over a 10 million cap hit has played in the cup finals (Price). Having 4 on one team would prbly be a bad plan.

Reactions: viper0220

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Probably not because I can't stand click bait journalist types. Just because someone does charity work and such doesn't mean I'd like them personally.
Francis plays a role. Similar to Ryan Pinder. Most people who actually meet them really like them. Francis has probably raised more money for charity than any other Calgarian. He's a good man regardless of how people perceive him.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I think it’s unlikely Tkachuk signs an extension with a Canadian team. The bottom line for Tkachuk is he’ll never be worth more money-wise than he is now.

If he doesn’t want to stay in Calgary he’ll work with the Flames to find acceptable suitors, agree to a rich extension, then go off to wherever. He’s not going to take a one-year deal in Calgary and then walk, because an 80-point campaign (which is entirely possible without Gaudreau) would cost him millions. Sure he can play anywhere he wants, but he could be playing for a whole lot less than he wants.

EDIT: My guess would be he’s looking in the 10 - 10.5 range. The Flames are likely willing to give him that. Not sure how many other teams would be.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Not the same dynamics, kind of the opposite actually for the Hughes and Staals. Don't recall the Niedermayer situation. But as you mentioned, it's my hunch, just like yours is also just pure speculation. These are two young competitive athletes, and Matt has the ego to go with it. I just don't see him being that comfortable with it. Also, we don't have the cap space at all. Not worth thinking about it one way or another, it aint happening.

And it's possible we're both wrong

Maybe Ottawa is Matthew's preferred landing spot, however, Brady has no interest in having his brother join the Sens, and has petitioned Dorian behind the scenes not to pursue him

And, yes, the cap space crunch is a very real dilemma - especially with 3.5 million tied up in buyouts through the '24 season - but there are ways to create cap space, and it could be argued that Tkachuk is the type of player who be prioritized if he, in fact, does wish to join his bro

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Maybe Ottawa is Matthew's preferred landing spot, however, Brady has no interest in having his brother join the Sens, and has petitioned Dorian behind the scenes not to pursue him

And, yes, the cap space crunch is a very real dilemma - especially with 3.5 million tied up in buyouts through the '24 season - but there are ways to create cap space, and it could be argued that Tkachuk is the type of player who be prioritized if he, in fact, does wish to join his bro
Brady and Matthew seem pretty close. I bet they would love to play together. I'm not sure it makes sense for the Sens though. If they hadn't acquired Debrincat it would have.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He has spoken about it in other articles too, in Finnish media, and the gist that I got has always been that Minnesota is "Mikko's team", and he's not going there to mess it up.

Saku jätti Minnesotan Mikon haltuun via google translate, can't find the original Globe and Mail article right now

Also, Saku is 9 years senior to Mikko, so at some point it was to be expected that Saku's game would fall and Saku would indeed be in Mikko's shadow then, but good luck with getting a pro athlete and big brother to actually admit that.

And certainly the discrepancy in age likely means they weren't as close throughout childhood as the brothers closer in age who would've played together on the pond, and in the streets as children, and bonded over shared life experiences taking place within a year or two

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Exactly. It's mere pipe dream at this point unless there are credible rumours from either player's side expressing interest in playing together in Ottawa. Which I don't think there is or ever have been. That, coupled with the cap space situation makes this more like wishful thinking, that's why I just don't see it happening or put any stock in it.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I would advise against this. Since the salary cap was created only 1 player with over a 10 million cap hit has played in the cup finals (Price). Having 4 on one team would prbly be a bad plan.
That's one of those stats that while true, is misleading. Plenty of players just under that threshold have been to the finals/won.

$10M is currently a top 14 player, in terms of salary.

$9M is currently a top 34 player.

Players with top 14 salaries have gone to the finals/won Stanley Cups.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Duder54

It’s a fundamental flaw in the cap imo. Teams who draft and develop elite/top players are punished for it if they pay them accordingly.

I’d be all in favour of a 1 or 2 “franchise player exemptions” or something similar to allow for keeping elite talent without having to round out rosters with plugs and rehab projects.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You realize the cap is now more than double the original cap right?

Tampa won with two guys making $9.5. Its just a matter of time before someone wins with a $10+ million player.

Ovechkin for example had the 4th highest cap hit in the league when his team won.

Reactions: Seanaconda

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Yea Ottawa looks much improved. They’ve also drafted pretty well.

But for those of us close to our siblings, I can’t imagine how amazing it would be to play in an NHL team with a brother. Did you see how happy Jack Hughes was when NJ drafted his little brother Luke?

Can’t even put a price or money on that. That’s a different kind of wealth. A much more meaningful one.
Oh for sure...my favorite player all-time is Brent Sutter, so I've seen the 'playing with your brother' thing quite a bit, haha!

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
There’s no way UFA age could ever be that high.

Basically a team would have a controll of players career for his entire career
Well, a compromise could have been made: if you reach age of 26, the club would not have the right to match a offer sheet but still get compensation back but at a lower rate than 18-26 range which is 4 1st round pick so if you lower the compensation rate to maybe 2 first round pick for age of 26-32, it would ensure that that the club would still get some asset back for their investment. Why should a team benefit from that, then give them the first round but players would still get their right to play for other teams without worrying about that team right to match once they reach 26. I think that is a fair compromise.

Daddy

Jul 15, 2022
People hate how much the big 4 are making in Toronto, so we want to add someone who makes even more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad