Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Morning folks! What a win!

1668001140496.png

Camille the Eel

Sportsnet after the game mentioned it’s the first time the Devils have swept a season series against Calgary since 96-97
And so happy we got the regulation win. Because OT, for all the excitement of “Winning” is just a tie game when I’m honest with myself. The 3 on 3 is gimmicky and the shoot out too. The 60 minute game ended in a tie in either case.

So the regulation win last night - and coming from behind to do it on a night when it felt like we had lead in our pants - felt meaningful. Like we really beat them.

Plus they were really trying to beat us down physically and we responded in the most meaningful way. Sweet that it was Zadorov’s bad pinch that gave us the odd man rush for the game winner. The guy is a goon. And so is Kadri.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Can't stop thinking about the simple fact that goaltending made all this possible. Last year this is a 5-2 loss and everyone's complaining about the defense. The defense had a rough night, that's where the goaltender has to bail the team out, and he did.

-some argue its goaltending
-some argue its not the goaltending its the defense
-some argue its not the defense, but the 2-way game of forwards
-some argue its...

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
-some argue its goaltending
-some argue its not the goaltending its the defense
-some argue its not the defense, but the 2-way game of forwards
-some argue its...
I swear to god if people start discussing last year’s goaltending more…
062145BF-879D-49F3-8652-B2F6079AE7FB.jpeg

Even in this game we did play pretty solid defensively.

Calgary has been coming out hot in the first period and they did it again.

For all this discussion about their physicality we did a pretty good job of keeping them in the parameter, particularly in the last two periods.

They changed up their lines and the new Lindholm line with Ruzicka and Toffoli was better. (And Sutter hilariously played Ruzicka only once before this, but he made a mistake and isn’t a vet so this was his second game.)

Mangiapane and Backlund were a handful at times, mainly against Haula/Wood/Mercer in 1st.

But the Kadri line with Coleman and Dube didn’t do shit. Kadri/Coleman were on the ice for 2 GA.

And they scored two PPGs.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
And so happy we got the regulation win. Because OT, for all the excitement of “Winning” is just a tie game when I’m honest with myself. The 3 on 3 is gimmicky and the shoot out too. The 60 minute game ended in a tie in either case.

So the regulation win last night - and coming from behind to do it on a night when it felt like we had lead in our pants - felt meaningful. Like we really beat them.

Plus they were really trying to beat us down physically and we responded in the most meaningful way. Sweet that it was Zadorov’s bad pinch that gave us the odd man rush for the game winner. The guy is a goon. And so is Kadri.
So the Devils have no gimmick win, as a 4-3 PP should count as normal win.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I kept seeing Biz the last few days in here, I think he’s got a podcast or something but don’t know who he is. Was he an NHL player?

I think he played in the ECHL or something
Idk if y'all are serious or not but Biz is Paul Bissonnette. He played for the Penguins and Yotes. He's transitioned into media and has really done a fantastic job at it.

Reactions: Mgd31

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nothing to do with the actual game, but I need to do a quick rant on the broadcast...

Why do we continuously need to see the "Programming Alert" scroll at the bottom of the screen for half the game every damn time the Islanders are playing on MSG+2 or whatever the hell it's called now? This has been going on for years, telling you what channel to tune into to find that broadcast.

And for what? Does anyone believe even ONE person is being helped by this? Is there some Islander fan out there so helpless that all they can do is turn on the usual channel for the Islanders and just sit there at stare at the screen for help on what to do since it's a Devils broadcast instead? Everyone has a channel guide and internet to figure this stuff out, not to mention teams have been getting bumped to the overflow channel for many, many years now. Do we really need a 1/2 game of this distraction at the bottom of the screen to "help" the helpless? On top of all the other distractions we have now thanks to the ridiculous animated board ads in which pucks, players and sticks routinely disappear in front of them and/or have a blurry outline? As much as I despise those ads, at least they serve somewhat of a purpose whereas I cannot believe that the "Programming Alert" scroll does a single thing. /rant

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Nothing to do with the actual game, but I need to do a quick rant on the broadcast...

Why do we continuously need to see the "Programming Alert" scroll at the bottom of the screen for half the game every damn time the Islanders are playing on MSG+2 or whatever the hell it's called now? This has been going on for years, telling you what channel to tune into to find that broadcast.

And for what? Does anyone believe even ONE person is being helped by this? Is there some Islander fan out there so helpless that all they can do is turn on the usual channel for the Islanders and just sit there at stare at the screen for help on what to do since it's a Devils broadcast instead? Everyone has a channel guide and internet to figure this stuff out, not to mention teams have been getting bumped to the overflow channel for many, many years now. Do we really need a 1/2 game of this distraction at the bottom of the screen to "help" the helpless? On top of all the other distractions we have now thanks to the ridiculous animated board ads in which pucks, players and sticks routinely disappear in front of them and/or have a blurry outline? As much as I despise those ads, at least they serve somewhat of a purpose whereas I cannot believe that the "Programming Alert" scroll does a single thing. /rant

its very annoying.....i tape a strip of paper over the bottom ticker during games

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Unstoppable force vs very movable object

I hope they don't underestimate the Senators, cause they have a lot of fire power. They have 5 guys basically going point per game. Talbot is also playing great and I'm sure he'll play against us. The games they've lost have been very close, mostly 1 goal games with good teams like Vegas, Tampa, Flyers (I know), Panthers, and they've also beaten Boston, Dallas and Washington this season. We really have to bring our best, this is not the time to try out Schmid or mess with the lines too much.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I hope they don't underestimate the Senators, cause they have a lot of fire power. They have 5 guys basically going point per game. Talbot is also playing great and I'm sure he'll play against us. The games they've lost have been very close, mostly 1 goal games with good teams like Vegas, Tampa, Flyers (I know), Panthers, and they've also beaten Boston, Dallas and Washington this season. We really have to bring our best, this is not the time to try out Schmid or mess with the lines too much.
I know, it’s just nice to be able to make fun of another team for once.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ottawa started hot and has slowed down a bit. But you are spot on. They have lost some games to some very good teams in close fashion. If NJ reads their press clippings it will be a long night.

Reactions: ninetyeight

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

We don't seem to go into any game taking an opponent lightly, and for good reason.

I think they'll be looking to correct quite a bit from the early part of last night's game, Nico specifically said the first period was embarrassing.

The players seem to all be saying the right things, I think they'll continue to act upon it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad