Post-Game Talk: Flames def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Hoglander) | Well, nuts.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
These games happen. I mean Colorado is having a few of them already this year and they are a good proven team.

But yea we most def could use some depth at defense. Like most teams in the NHL. On to the next!

Reactions: Zombotron

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope somebody in Abbotsford took Arshdeep Bains aside and explained to him why they recalled Karlsson instead of him, or the three or four other forwards who're better than Karlsson has been this season.

For that matter, Hirose hasn't been close to the best blueliner in Abbotsford either. Still not sure the rationale for making him the first injury callup on the blueline.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Obviously the player that stood out was Juulsen. Truly awful. Had some moments at the end of last year, but that was in garbage time with most of the pressure off. Right now he must be near the worst player in the League. Just totally incompetent. Canucks have to try someone different - no one is going to be any worse than Juulsen.

Nothing captures this better than Calgary's second goal. Juulsen throws a completely useless hit that gets the puck twisted up in his skates, blindly chips it to the guy he just hit then gets beaten to the net by him.

It's downright impressive how colossally stupid that sequence of events was. Made somehow worse when he just kind of drifts around Desmith not really knowing who to take. That goal alone should have gotten him stapled to the bench but I get Hughes and Hronek were likely exhausted from last night.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'm not upset about this scheduled loss. I'm upset that it came in Calgary, but meh, they aren't making the playoffs anyway so losing points to them doesn't hurt us.

If we make the SCF, guaranteed we'll be facing either NYR or Boston. You heard it here first. My Spidey senses are tingling on this team.

Reactions: calnuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not too many positives from this game, but clearly Nils Hoglander was one of them. High energy all night long and was rewarded with a goal. Also got promoted the top line minutes with the goalie pulled and Canucks pushing to get something out of this game.

Surely the 'healthy scratches' for Hoglander have to be shelved. He's a young guy who needs to paly.....be allowed to make a mistake or two without being yanked for press-box duty.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
team needs to score more 5 on 5 goals before hoglander potted one in. teams will always take penalties and the canucks will surely make them pay on the powerplay everytime. but sometimes games that are close or tight need someone on this team besides the top guns to provide secondary scoring. the last 5 on5 goal they scored before tonight was the game against montreal. that was about it.

ChuckFanForever

Jun 5, 2011
I hope somebody in Abbotsford took Arshdeep Bains aside and explained to him why they recalled Karlsson instead of him, or the three or four other forwards who're better than Karlsson has been this season.

For that matter, Hirose hasn't been close to the best blueliner in Abbotsford either. Still not sure the rationale for making him the first injury callup on the blueline.
It was Karlsson's birthday today, so it could have been something as simple as that...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
team needs to score more 5 on 5 goals before hoglander potted one in. teams will always take penalties and the canucks will surely make them pay on the powerplay everytime. but sometimes games that are close or tight need someone on this team besides the top guns to provide secondary scoring. the last 5 on5 goal they scored before tonight was the game against montreal. that was about it.

Think you are making it sound worse than it really is. The Canucks are near the top of the league in ES goals. Heading into today’s game, the Montreal game was the game before last. So they basically just didn’t score an ES goal in one game. Previous to that the Canucks won the game in Montreal at even strength.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Call-ups from Abbotsford need to be based 'merit'. I don't care if it is Karlsson's birthday, or that he's a right shot.

I can think of at least three guys in Abbotsford--Bains, Dries and Sasson who've played far better this year than Karlsson. I really hope they weren't bypassed because it's somebody's birthday.

Reactions: geebaan

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Kind of stuck in sand is the feeling a had about this game. The late goal in the second ( if that was the the one tucked in close was the back breaker. Not to worried but there are some weak links at D.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Call up Matt Irwin. Wasn't this the reason why he was signed? He and Friedman can play 10 minutes a night on the 3rd pair until Soucy gets back or they make a trade. Also, it's time to give Woo a shot for a few games. Got to be better than Juulsen.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I don't understand why Juulsen's leash is so long, and Hoglander's is so short. You would think the defenseman who is prone to making mistakes would be stapled on the bench by now. In the first few games of the season Hogs was nearly a point per game player and still was sat or scratched for making minuscule mistakes. Tochett really needs to wake up and start playing Hogs in a position where he can succeed, and Juulsen should be sent down to Abbotsford. Irwin, Wolanin, or Hirose can temporarily take the currently vacated position until Allvin finds another defenseman on the market.

Playing Juulsen night in/night out is making Tocchet/Foote look like imbeciles.

Reactions: TruKnyte

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not upset about this scheduled loss. I'm upset that it came in Calgary, but meh, they aren't making the playoffs anyway so losing points to them doesn't hurt us.

If we make the SCF, guaranteed we'll be facing either NYR or Boston or NYI. You heard it here first. My Spidey senses are tingling on this team.

fify

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
It's funny that this was worse than an actual back-to-back situation because we lost an hour too lmfao

Boys looked bagged. Oh well, back home again at least

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Tired team, couple of injuries and coming off a b2b.

Would've liked a different result but you can't win them all.

One thing I caught on the Calgary broadcast was Hrudey mentioning Hughes needs to accept that if he's going to have the puck as often as he does, there's gonna be some bullshit he's gonna have to deal with (this was re: the offsetting calls.)

Hope the Sedins talk with him about battling through that sort of shit rather than risk taking a penalty.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's funny that this was worse than an actual back-to-back situation because we lost an hour too lmfao

Boys looked bagged. Oh well, back home again at least
Reality of the schedule. I mean, they are used it but I think we all know how we feel in the spring when we spring forward. Not quite the same that Sunday morning. And they got on a plane and checked into a hotel room after midnight. We're just going to our own bed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You could sense this loss coming, before the game even started..I'm not really blaming any particular player for it..DeSmith has been fantastic all year, and he was thrown to the wolves a bit...The real story of the game was that the Canucks couldn't score, especially when the game was mired at 3-1 Calgary..By the halfway point of the game, it was apparent that there wasnt going to be a comeback from a two goal deficit (like the previous night).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I worry about Hughes on back-to-backs, particularly when he played upwards of 30 minutes the night before against the Islanders.

I thought Tocchet made a couple of lame excuses for playing Hughes that much in his post-game presser--saying that all the PP's skewed Hughes' ice-time.

But I thought it definitely caught up with him in Calgary. Those are the type of games where 'fatigue injuries' can happen. I'm just relieved the Canucks got out of Dodge without any more injuries to their best players.

The loss is just the inevitable result of a bad schedule.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I worry about Hughes on back-to-backs, particularly when he played upwards of 30 minutes the night before against the Islanders.

I thought Tocchet made a couple of lame excuses for playing Hughes that much in his post-game presser--saying that all the PP's skewed Hughes' ice-time.

But I thought it definitely caught up with him in Calgary. Those are the type of games where 'fatigue injuries' can happen. I'm just relieved the Canucks got out of Dodge without any more injuries to their best players.

The loss is just the inevitable result of a bad schedule.
They got through it at 1-1. Secured the 2 points, Irrelevant that the Isles got a point since they are in the East. No impact on the Canucks. If you are going to play Quinn that much, at least they got the full benefit of doing that. Meant for Calgary game, you needed to dial him back.

For a team that controls their own arena, Canucks have a lot of 2 game home stands before a road game. Seems a bit odd.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yep. Schedule loss. Not really a big deal. They were gonna lose some games sometime.

They've got a fairly soft schedule through the New Year where they should be able to bank more points. Get home ice in Round 1 locked down.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad