Confirmed with Link: Flames def. Canucks - 4-3 (OT - Pearson, Horvat, Boeser)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Again, Schmidt has been very good so far.

He's playing exceptionally tough minutes on a team that's a dumpster fire defensively with poor goaltending so far and is generating positive goal differentials and advanced stats, and has been lights-out on the PK.

He hasn't looked nearly as comfortable rushing the puck or joining the rush as he did in Vegas and I suspect this is probably a systems/comfort thing but I'm not sure. He has more to give offensively but he's still been very good and it's terrifying to imagine how bad this team would be without the minutes he's soaking up.
Tough for anybody to look good let alone a guy responsible for being the #1 D on a pretty bad team. I haven't changed my opinion on him (eg., legit 1st pairing D).

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Again, Schmidt has been very good so far.

He's playing exceptionally tough minutes on a team that's a dumpster fire defensively with poor goaltending so far and is generating positive goal differentials and advanced stats, and has been lights-out on the PK.

He hasn't looked nearly as comfortable rushing the puck or joining the rush as he did in Vegas and I suspect this is probably a systems/comfort thing but I'm not sure. He has more to give offensively but he's still been very good and it's terrifying to imagine how bad this team would be without the minutes he's soaking up.

not sure how one can call any player 'very good'.

let's not prioritize advanced stats over the fact he 3 points over 19 games.

he's not doing very good

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Tough for anybody to look good let alone a guy responsible for being the #1 D on a pretty bad team. I haven't changed my opinion on him (eg., legit 1st pairing D).

lol.. i launched my coffee out of my mouth so fast, i sprayed it all over and i don't even care, i'm still laughing

decent 2nd pairing. 3 pts in 19 games with the ice team he's getting is not 1st pairing D.

he's still good, and worth having, but yikes, the overrating of him makes me believe no one watched him in vegas and have just looked at his numbers.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
lol.. i launched my coffee out of my mouth so fast, i sprayed it all over and i don't even care, i'm still laughing

decent 2nd pairing. 3 pts in 19 games with the ice team he's getting is not 1st pairing D.

he's still good, and worth having, but yikes, the overrating of him makes me believe no one watched him in vegas and have just looked at his numbers.
Well never let it said I automatically hate all Benning acquisitions.;)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I kind of had a gut feeling that the Canucks would find a way to tie the game last night..Going into OT shorthanded is always a glorious gift to the opposition..Canucks had their chances last night, the PP really let them down.

I like the way the Canucks are trending right now..It started in that last game in Toronto, and they've built on it since,,team is fun to watch.

It's too bad that they squandered the majority of their first 15 games.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I kind of had a gut feeling that the Canucks would find a way to tie the game last night..Going into OT shorthanded is always a glorious gift to the opposition..Canucks had their chances last night, the PP really let them down.

I like the way the Canucks are trending right now..It started in that last game in Toronto, and they've built on it since,,team is fun to watch.

It's too bad that they squandered the majority of their first 15 games.
Like all fans, we just want our team to be good, and improving. Last night’s game, imo, was regression back to the terrible team play from earlier. I thought from the start last night we were too far apart, and didn’t support one another. Maybe we get back to improving that part of the game tomorrow?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Like all fans, we just want our team to be good, and improving. Last night’s game, imo, was regression back to the terrible team play from earlier. I thought from the start last night we were too far apart, and didn’t support one another. Maybe we get back to improving that part of the game tomorrow?
I thought the Canucks played well enough to win.2nd period was a bit of a letdown...Bo and Schmidt gifted them goals..If the PP had been sharper, we would have won..

From what I've seen in this series, both teams look relatively even.

In the short term, the Flames will be good, ...In the long game..I think we'll be beating them on a regular basis.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I thought the Canucks played well enough to win.2nd period was a bit of a letdown...Bo and Schmidt gifted them goals..If the PP had been sharper, we would have won..

From what I've seen in this series, both teams look relatively even.

In the short term, the Flames will be good, ...In the long game..I think we'll be beating them on a regular basis.
Hope you’re right POM. :thumbu:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Schmidt flat out has just not been producing enough. 3 points at this point is horrible for what he has put up in the past
When I heard about the trade to get him, I posted I’d never heard of him. Watching Vegas he just never stood out. Maybe that’s his game though? Maybe When he’s playing well he isn’t noticed, but he helps his team win in ways that don’t stand out? Imo he’s struggled here with systems (or lack of systems) that fit well with his game. I think he should play with Hughes too. Benn is a drag on Hughes.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Canucks have not strung 4 decent games together, the last game against Toronto was two periods of Toronto asleep at the wheel, then in the 3rd period Toronto decided they would show up and it was over.

So three decent games at home with last change, against a flawed Calgary team. Excuses for turnovers leading to the loss last night, yet shockingly no mention that it may have been a Gaudreau turnover that led to the only win in those three games - well, that and Calgary losing a couple of centres for much of that game.

So despite more rest, more practice, and somewhat improved play, it appears the same fundamental problems are there, suggesting we are trending from losing badly to essentially losing more often than not.

As for Schmidt, it is surprising to see people natter on about 3 points in 19 games to support a position that he is not a 1st pairing D. We just let go of a 1st pairing D to Calgary this past offseason, who was never known for putting up points. And we always remarked how others didn't appreciate how good he truly was. Until they played with him at the Worlds, of course.

There is a reason there is so much talk about "roles" on an NHL team, and while there is certainly a move towards activating D (that will continue, it is inevitable), there is still a role for 1st pairing defensive D, and there always will be.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hope you’re right POM. :thumbu:

Don't be fooled by "in the long game".

That's just another way of saying wait and see.

And we don't need to wait and see - we already know that in the long game, three of our four topD are aging out, already aged out, or aren't really a top4 even before they've aged out.

And Bo and JT's contracts will be up for renewal.

And JT will be past his prime.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks have not strung 4 decent games together, the last game against Toronto was two periods of Toronto asleep at the wheel, then in the 3rd period Toronto decided they would show up and it was over.

So three decent games at home with last change, against a flawed Calgary team. Excuses for turnovers leading to the loss last night, yet shockingly no mention that it may have been a Gaudreau turnover that led to the only win in those three games - well, that and Calgary losing a couple of centres for much of that game.

So despite more rest, more practice, and somewhat improved play, it appears the same fundamental problems are there, suggesting we are trending from losing badly to essentially losing more often than not.

As for Schmidt, it is surprising to see people natter on about 3 points in 19 games to support a position that he is not a 1st pairing D. We just let go of a 1st pairing D to Calgary this past offseason, who was never known for putting up points. And we always remarked how others didn't appreciate how good he truly was. Until they played with him at the Worlds, of course.

There is a reason there is so much talk about "roles" on an NHL team, and while there is certainly a move towards activating D (that will continue, it is inevitable), there is still a role for 1st pairing defensive D, and there always will be.
Highes Schmidt
Edler Myers
OJ (Benn, Hamonic, or ?)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
OJ ?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
First goal Demko is down and deep the whole sequence - when the puck gets moves to the slot to Lucic he can't attack the shot. Tries to move to the middle of his net as the pass is being made and comes of the post leaving room for the shot to go in. Not a terrible goal and most of the fault for this goal goes to Joulevi but Demko does not move out to cover more net.

Second goal - after the terrible pass by Horvath, Calgary player ends up coming right down the slot. However, has no other option than the shot. If you look at the goal from the end zone replay you see Demko is giving up too much space on his right - tons of net to shoot at. Calgary players whips it in to the open space. Didn't have to pick a corner and the goal ends up going in at least a foot inside the post. Demko partially lost his net and gave up way too much room. If the player had sniped the goal then ok. But Demko's positioning made it dead easy to score.

Third goal - Demko comes out behind the net and moves the puck over to Schmidt. But then as he glides back into the net he turns his back to the play. All he has to do is not turn, just slide back to his post keeping his eye on the puck and remaining square to the play. As it is, puck gets moved into his feet and Demko doesn't know where it is. He stumbles backward as the puck slides across the crease. Demko sweeps his leg to across the ice and knocks the puck into his net. Yes Schmidt is at fault for even thinking about making that pass but Demko was way too casual and never should have turned his back to the play. There was no need for it and if hadn't he would have been in position to easily cover the puck.

Fourth Goal - Demko doesn't come across the crease fast enough and rather than coming around square leans from the waist and tries to use glove. If he is on his game, he's coming quicker and getting his body square to the puck and behind his glove.

Go back and look yourself. Demko was not sharp in this game. Did he cost the game? I don't think so but he needs to be better than this.

The #1 rule a goalie learns starting in peewee is to never take your eye off the puck. You learn to pick up bodies with your peripheral vision. As you move higher on the ladder you learn to cheat quick glances particularly to the backdoor side of the ice. However, turning your back completely on the puck when it wasn't forced by contact or having made a Hasek type rolling save in the crease or even worse out of the net after having cut down an angle from the other side of the net.

There was absolutely no reason for Demko to have turned his back on that puck nor adding insult to injury to move like a sloth to get back to his net as if the puck had moved up the rink. His careless behavior led to him putting the puck into his own net while flailing around in the crease on a shot that would have been challenged to break glass.

Reactions: vanuck and Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
As for the game.

Our goaltending isn't good enough and that matters. It effects far more than just the goals that go in, it effects the confidence that the team plays with. 13 of our first 16 games or so were just terrible efforts, but the last few games we deserved to be rewarded far more than we have been. I hate to say it, but Holtby looks sort of done, I hope I'm wrong on that. And Demko is somewhere between the goalie who was slowly frittering away our playoff spot last year when Marky went down, and the one that did the heroics in the playoffs. But largely trending towards the former.
I'm not certain on Demko. I wouldn't say I'm a non-believer, I think it might be in him to be a decent number 1, but I have to see it.

Goal number 1 comes on a bad turnover by Jake Virtanen. I'm done with Virtanen. Only he could play with Eriksson and Beagle and look like the worst player out there. He had one nice rush and half-heartedly got into a couple of scrums so casual fans will think he had a good game. He didn't. He had his pathetic turnover that cost us the first goal. In the 3rd, he had a forecheck on a dman who is playing his 2nd NHL game, and he half-heartedly moved in and turned away before the pass was even made.

I am not exaggerating when I say that if Gretzky in his prime had had such a pathetic forecheck, I would have talked to him as his coach. He then had a terrible giveaway on the same shift in our zone that led to several chances and us getting hemmed in (and possibly a penalty).

What people who never played at a competitive level often fail to realize, is that the old idiom about only being as good as your weakest link isn't just a cliche. You don't need everyone to be brilliant or creative, but you need to be able to trust that 9/10 times the player will do the right thing, that he'll be reliable, and that he will respond to the time/situation of the game and act accordingly. When you can't trust even one player in these ways, it leads to other guys trying to be prepared for his inevitable f*** ups, which means they aren't 100% focused on their own roles. This leads to slippage in all areas. I have been watching it for too long.

The second goal worries me. I don't like the body language I saw from Bo Horvat. His pass was soft and bad, and Hughes was caught anticipating something else. What I didn't like (and shocker, sportsnet didn't comment on), was that Horvat's body language wasn't like Schmidt's "I f***ed up" body language on the third goal (more on that later), it was more like, "Where the f*** was Hughes going?" Sportsnet even later showed Horvat on the bench appearing to be ranting to Pearson about it.
Triangulation is bad in a relationship between grade 3 girls. It's toxic in hockey.
It's possible that Hughes is going a bit too free reign and other players are getting a bit tired of it, but Hughes is also being leaned on in a way that isn't really fair. He's still a young, inexperienced kid being asked to carry 4/6ths of a D.
I believe that a lot of why Hughes has struggled defensively this year is two-fold.
1. He is putting too much pressure on himself and doesn't have Tanev to calm him down.
2. When Hughes looked good last year in our zone, it was basically him stealing pucks from guys who tried to 'rook' him (tried to exploit the rookie), including Draisaitl, and other than that it was him filibustering by using his skating to maintain passive coverage until he could corner his forward/puck carrier into a spot where Tanev could steal the puck.
I don't think he trusts Benn (nor should he, really) and so he seems like he's always in a tremendous hurry to get the puck back. It has led to some mistakes that will be taken as growing pains. Hard to watch sometimes.

Third goal was poor situational awareness by Schmidt. Not catastrophic, and won't likely have affect him too much. It looks worse than it was (but it is terrible). It hit the Flames forward's shinpads before deflecting off of Demko and in. It wasn't great by Demko either.
But the question is, why try such a high risk/low reward play in a game where your team is so mentally fragile?

J.T. Miller looked so incisive and instinctive last year, like he always knew what to do and just did it. This year, he's a bit like that friend who drinks too much and acts impulsively, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but he never owns it and learns. I do think he will work his way out of it.

4th goal. I know Demko was screened by Beagle for the pass from the point down to Gaudreau, but let's be honest, that's not NHL goaltending. Full stop. If we trade goalies the last 3 games, none of them are even close (we win, blowout, and then win).

I will add, Calgary has added a good defensive stopper (in Tanev), and a literal Vezina quality goalie. Both for too much term (for their ages), and the team looks mediocre. If their goal was to make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round for the next 3 or 4 years before entering cap hell, they are well on their way.

That first goal was'nt completely on Jake..There was a number of errors on that shift..A couple from Juolevi, who couldn't clear, and took a slashing penalty...Overall, it was the play of a gassed unit stuck in their own zone..Jake had the last touch, but really was under a lot of pressure to do too much with the puck.
Juolevi was playing in his 12th NHL game, and he's going to make some mistakes..I can live with that.

The other two goals the Canucks conceded had me shaking my head.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hughes Schmidt
Edler Myers
OJ ?

Well, in the long game, Edler is gone.

Myers at best will be a #6, if that.

Hopefully Schmidt has the longevity of an Edler, so that gives you a 1st pairing of Hughes and Schmidt, and then a 3rd pairing of OJ-Myers (yikes).

I won't even go into depth, injuries, the possibility that Schmidt ages out normally, or the unexpected occurs, whether it's a career crippling injury or an off ice issue that impacts any of those D.

Our D was a shambles, is a shambles - and will be a shambles in the long game.

Or we can put our heads . . . in the sand . . . and pull them out in several years to see.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
but Calgarys D isnt ageing out with Gio and Tanev..?..Canucks have a legit #1 D (and he's 21), they do not...Doom and gloom right?

Attachments

• how-pessimism-works-cjmadden.jpg
    how-pessimism-works-cjmadden.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Indiana

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
When I heard about the trade to get him, I posted I’d never heard of him. Watching Vegas he just never stood out. Maybe that’s his game though? Maybe When he’s playing well he isn’t noticed, but he helps his team win in ways that don’t stand out? Imo he’s struggled here with systems (or lack of systems) that fit well with his game. I think he should play with Hughes too. Benn is a drag on Hughes.
Well when you don't notice a defenseman, I say he's doing a good job.

Can you really expect ever to say, I didn't notice Myers?

Different with wingers. LE.:laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
but Calgarys D isnt ageing out with Gio and Tanev..?..Canucks have a legit #1 D (and he's 21), they do not...Doom and gloom right?

View attachment 396947

Hughes is definitely not a 'legit #1 D' at this point.

He's currently playing on the 3rd pairing (except when we're chasing a lead in the final 10 minutes of the 3rd period) with a guy who was a healthy scratch last year, getting soft minutes and matchups, and still bleeding goals all over the place.

He's the best PP QB in the NHL but is currently Phil Housley at ES. He's obviously still a very young player and will improve, but this '#1 defender stuff' needs to die for a bit.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

View attachment 396947
Tanev and Myers are the same age....
Giordano and Edler are both declining. Edler has a couple more seasons in him I recon.

The issue is the contracts and lack of prospects coming up to fill the top 4. Canucks would have to sign free agents, which they can't because the Canucks splashed out too much cash already in FA. Or they have to trade one of their young assets for a top 4 RHD. Any trade for a top 4 RHD you are going to be on the losing end of because nobody wants to trade their top 4 RHD.

Canucks are basically hoping that Woo turns into a top 4 D or else they are pretty f***ed.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Schmidt flat out has just not been producing enough. 3 points at this point is horrible for what he has put up in the past
Well what do you expect? he went from only having below 50% offensive zone starts once in his career at 49.40% to 34.56% here. Thats going to have an affect on any players offensive stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad