GDT: Flames @ cOilers (Sunday 7pm MST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames played like a turd tonight and there’s no way to polish it.

Same kind of game they lost to Pittsburgh frankly.

Just didn’t show up.
I wouldn't say. The defensive effort was there, and they never really lost control of the game. The difference between the Oilers and Flames tonight was exactly one play. Given the fact that it was three games in four nights and they were playing without their MVP and shutdown centre, that should be a real shot in the arm.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
They were bagged. No one played at their usual level except Rittich, who was good, and Neal who was routine god-awful.

Andersson was good

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I wouldn't say. The defensive effort was there, and they never really lost control of the game. The difference between the Oilers and Flames tonight was exactly one play. Given the fact that it was three games in four nights and they were playing without their MVP and shutdown centre, that should be a real shot in the arm.
Effort gives you a participation ribbon and orange slices after the game.

They stunk out loud, in large part because they were playing their #8/9 defensemen and #15/16 forwards last night.

It could have been much worse, and against a better team it would have been.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sucks to lose but once we lost Gio and Backlund, I honestly had this one circled as a win and the Nashville game penciled in as the loss. So I'll take 2/4 points however you slice it.

As I said the last time they lost in regulation (which happened to be the last time they were shut out as well), the bigger thing for me is how the Flames react and respond. They were shut out in Vegas but then lit up the Coyotes. Good teams bounce back quickly from setbacks, so I'm looking forward to Wednesday's effort.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Sucks to lose but once we lost Gio and Backlund, I honestly had this one circled as a win and the Nashville game penciled in as the loss. So I'll take 2/4 points however you slice it.

As I said the last time they lost in regulation (which happened to be the last time they were shut out as well), the bigger thing for me is how the Flames react and respond. They were shut out in Vegas but then lit up the Coyotes. Good teams bounce back quickly from setbacks, so I'm looking forward to Wednesday's effort.

Flames better win that and score at least 5. Elliot has been injured (might return though) and the other 4 (!!) goalies have been trash

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Flames better win that and score at least 5. Elliot has been injured (might return though) and the other 4 (!!) goalies have been trash
I didn't want to get into specifics but yeah, the Flyers' goaltending woes are well-documented lol. No reason not to light the lamp a few times on Wednesday.

Reactions: Kahvi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I didn't catch the game last night, disappointed with the loss; but if it takes us missing out 1D, 2C, and a bunch of our good depth for the Oilers to get a 1-0 will; I'll live.

How was everyone?

Reactions: Kahvi

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I didn't catch the game last night, disappointed with the loss; but if it takes us missing out 1D, 2C, and a bunch of our good depth for the Oilers to get a 1-0 will; I'll live.

How was everyone?

Oilers have learned how to play solid defence. good game on a back to back missing two key players. Nothing to worry about here, except losing to a hated rival.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Also not sure why all our players got the yips last night because damn near everyone was fanning on their shots last night.

By my count it was Gaudreau, Lindholm, Kylington, Jankowski, Bennett, Brodie, and Andersson and probably more.

If Lindholm puts that chance away in the first 15 seconds of the 3rd, the game would've completely opened up

Reactions: Janks

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
do we have injury updates?
Backlund is on IR so soonest he will return is Saturday. I caught something on the radio earlier that suggested it's more serious than they hoped?

Sounds like Stone is skating again, but he's still listed as indefinite.

Valimaki is week to week. So figure January at the soonest.

Frolik is still officially day to day with the lower body injury, but he's also on IR.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Backlund is on IR so soonest he will return is Saturday. I caught something on the radio earlier that suggested it's more serious than they hoped?

Sounds like Stone is skating again, but he's still listed as indefinite.

Valimaki is week to week. So figure January at the soonest.

Frolik is still officially day to day with the lower body injury, but he's also on IR.
brutal, at least we get Gio back, f*** the NHL for nothing on the dumba hit.

Reactions: Janks

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
What happened to Valimaki? Was it the knee-on-knee by Marchessault in the Vegas game or something in practice?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I cant find the tweet but I think it said Backlund is out for 2 games because of Concussion protocol. I might be reading too much into that, but being out because of Concussion protocol sounds a lot better than being out because of concussion.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This team still needs another offensive player that can take the bull by the horns(really sucks that Sam Bennett did not develop into one). If you shut down the top line and Tkachuk, you have shut the Flames. If we can get another center that can put up 50-60 points and push Backlund to the 3rd line we are golden.

Sam Bennett, Jankowski and Killington for Dlyan Larkin + a small piece.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
This team still needs another offensive player that can take the bull by the horns(really sucks that Sam Bennett did not develop into one). If you shut down the top line and Tkachuk, you have shut the Flames. If we can get another center that can put up 50-60 points and push Backlund to the 3rd line we are golden.

Bennett did take the bull by the horse last night. He just couldn’t finish in a couple of good chances.

A night like last night is when we could have used Neal to step up.

Chucky’s been pretty quiet for a few games now too.

Anyways, will beat up the Flyers and everyone will be happy again!

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Bennett did take the bull by the horse last night. He just couldn’t finish in a couple of good chances.

A night like last night is when we could have used Neal to step up.

Chucky’s been pretty quiet for a few games now too.

Anyways, will beat up the Flyers and everyone will be happy again!

It feels so awful losing to the Oilers:(

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I'm surprised that it didn't get an additional look by the DOPS. It was late and resulted in an injury
His name isn’t Mark Giordano and he doesn’t play for the Flames, that’s why there’s been no discipline on that. Same with the chicken wing elbow Hamonic took that broke?/hurt his nose. Refs and DoPS aren’t interested in helping a Canadian team at the top of the West. Better to help a big market like Anaheim or LA stay relevant

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Detroit would never move Larkin for that package. It makes 0 sense for them to move Larkin at all. He’s a 22 year old 1C on a rebuilding team. Future face of the franchise if he isn’t already

Reactions: Dack

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I’ve been thinking about a bonified 2C. The only thing that really makes sense is Duchene as a rental. Package up Stone, 1st + a mid tier prospect. Even then I’m not the biggest Duchene fan in the world and have my doubts it’d be worth it.

Reactions: viper0220

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I’ve been thinking about a bonified 2C. The only thing that really makes sense is Duchene as a rental. Package up Stone, 1st + a mid tier prospect. Even then I’m not the biggest Duchene fan in the world and have my doubts it’d be worth it.

Remember the last time Duchene was traded? There is absolutely no way we're getting him for Stone, a late first and a C prospect.

I think the only way we get a high end 2C is an upgrade on Backlund (i.e. something like Backlund + Frolik + 2019 1st round pick + Brett Pollock).

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

How was everyone?
Tons of plays that were just a hair off and failed to execute. Fanned shots, not-quite-good passes, etc. Also lots of shots that got blocked, as the Oilers went Hartley-style defence and just crowded the slot. Frustrating to watch, but they honestly did reasonably well given it was a back-to-back day, with travel, minus the shut down centre and #1 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad