GDT: Flames @ cOilers (Sunday 7pm MST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Remember the last time Duchene was traded? There is absolutely no way we're getting him for Stone, a late first and a C prospect.

I think the only way we get a high end 2C is an upgrade on Backlund (i.e. something like Backlund + Frolik + 2019 1st round pick + Brett Pollock).
Probably right but it would also be rental price and having the Stone brothers together might make it easier to extend the talented one. Especially if there was already a UFA deal in the works for Duchene.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This team still needs another offensive player that can take the bull by the horns(really sucks that Sam Bennett did not develop into one). If you shut down the top line and Tkachuk, you have shut the Flames. If we can get another center that can put up 50-60 points and push Backlund to the 3rd line we are golden.

Sam Bennett, Jankowski and Killington for Dlyan Larkin + a small piece.
I disagree. Backlund on the 2nd line isn't an issue at all; the issue is that after him (at 17 points), the next highest scoring forward is Janko with 10. The bottom six has been better than previous years, particularly defensively, but at least a couple of them need to produce a little better *cough*JamesNeal*cough*. Currently none of them are even on a 30 point pace, which should be completely doable for a 3rd line player.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Probably right but it would also be rental price and having the Stone brothers together might make it easier to extend the talented one.

That's a good point. In general I just don't really want Duchene though and haven't for a long time, even before the Uber video it was very clear that there were attitude issues and that he was not an on-ice leader. The video was kind of the nail in the coffin, for me at least.

I do agree though that it would be great to get a 60-point centre on that second line, and if they were available I wouldn't flinch giving away either my offer or yours.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I disagree. Backlund on the 2nd line isn't an issue at all; the issue is that after him (at 17 points), the next highest scoring forward is Janko with 10. The bottom six has been better than previous years, particularly defensively, but at least a couple of them need to produce a little better *cough*JamesNeal*cough*. Currently none of them are even on a 30 point pace, which should be completely doable for a 3rd line player.
Agreed. I don't understand why no one ever produces in the bottom 6. This year they look 100 times better but still almost no production. You'd think that someone could put up 35 points accidentally.

Neal specifically.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
That's a good point. In general I just don't really want Duchene though and haven't for a long time, even before the Uber video it was very clear that there were attitude issues and that he was not an on-ice leader. The video was kind of the nail in the coffin, for me at least.

I do agree though that it would be great to get a 60-point centre on that second line, and if they were available I wouldn't flinch giving away either my offer or yours.
Ya, I agree. I have my doubts that Backlund is good enough to help take us deep in the playoffs. That being said I can’t imagine anyone with a youngish, 60 point centre being interested in a package centred around Backlund. The only other option would be moving one of the young defensemen for a guy like Suzuki, but there’s risk involved in that too.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Agreed. I don't understand why no one ever produces in the bottom 6. This year they look 100 times better but still almost no production. You'd think that someone could put up 35 points accidentally.

Neal specifically.

It's the Flames way. Even last year when Bennett-Janko-Jagr were a line, they were dominant for 10-12 games, but scored like 1 goal.

I can't remember a time where the Flames had a productive 3rd line. A goal every other game for the line is what they should be striving for at a minimum. That's a goal 1 in every 6 games for each player on the 3rd line, which is around 13 or 14 goals a year. That seems realistic to me, especially with the ice-time they get.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It's the Flames way. Even last year when Bennett-Janko-Jagr were a line, they were dominant for 10-12 games, but scored like 1 goal.

I can't remember a time where the Flames had a productive 3rd line. A goal every other game for the line is what they should be striving for at a minimum. That's a goal 1 in every 6 games for each player on the 3rd line, which is around 13 or 14 goals a year. That seems realistic to me, especially with the ice-time they get.
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t remember that combination being dominant, what so ever.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
With Ryan in the line-up, Jankowski's been kind of redundant. Half of his goals have come from shorthanded situations and he's generated next to nothing at ES - lot of plays dying on his stick.

Pretty disappointing sophomore slump

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I understand the hesitation to move Lindholm to 2C. It's hard to justify breaking up the hottest line in the league for any reason. I would still give a try though, at the very least during Peter's line blendering.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I’ve been thinking about a bonified 2C. The only thing that really makes sense is Duchene as a rental. Package up Stone, 1st + a mid tier prospect. Even then I’m not the biggest Duchene fan in the world and have my doubts it’d be worth it.

I don’t want Duchene, he is just not worth it.

Reactions: Migos

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

I think if we can get a another good center(while keeping Backlund), I think we are a legit contender.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I understand the hesitation to move Lindholm to 2C. It's hard to justify breaking up the hottest line in the league for any reason. I would still give a try though, at the very least during Peter's line blendering.

That 1st line is dynamite, you can’t break that up.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Charlie Coyle is another guy I’ve had my eye on for a few years.

Bennett + 1st
For
Coyle +3rd

Gaudreau-Monahan-Coyle
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik
Mangiapane-Backlund-Neal

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That 1st line is dynamite, you can’t break that up.

They were dynamite with Michael Ferland at this point last season.

Gaudreau and Monahan can turn water into wine. Then you could have Backlund and Lindholm to give us possession drivers on line 2.

Throw Mangiapane on the top line and see what happens. Worth a shot at least imo.

Reactions: viper0220

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I cant find the tweet but I think it said Backlund is out for 2 games because of Concussion protocol. I might be reading too much into that, but being out because of Concussion protocol sounds a lot better than being out because of concussion.
They moved Backlund to the IR, which means minimum 7 days (so Saturday game would be the next eligible game as I believe Thursday would be the 7th day). But if it's serious enough to warrant IR (but not LTIR) I could definitely see him missing this whole week (thankfully only 3 games)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would trade for Duchene. I agree he has attitude issues, but it would be non issue with the leadership we have.

I would do something like Bennett, 1st and Michael Stone.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->