Proposal: Flames / Blues

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I’ll just say I completely get that Taresenko is an absolute stud of a goal scorer. But Monahan is a 35-40 goal scorer himself.
Monahan has had 34 goals once and 30 + goals 3 times.

Tank has 37 40 39 33 33
The two years he had 33 he was injured so no thanks

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
There is one guy in Flames I would be interest in and he's Tkachuk, but doubt he'll be moved at any price.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Lol.

Are we in November of 2019? That James Neal deal was awful for the Oilers. He totally fell apart in the end of the season, while Lucic was a very strong playoff contributor. And the Flames got the 3rd!
Flames won that deal ??? LOL.. wow not what oiler fans say ...

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Weaker D? Valimaki, who is playing great in Liiga right now (among the best out there actually), will be on our bottom pairing.

And Brodie >= Tanev, but I’m leaning more towards them being equal. So tell me how exactly our D got weaker?

Again, you’re talking out of your ***
1. Gio is older. He showed it a bit last year . I am fan but the best days are probably behind
2. Brodie is a BIG loss. He is far better than tanev and tends to stay healthier.
The loss of brodie alone makes them weaker

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
1. Gio is older. He showed it a bit last year . I am fan but the best days are probably behind
2. Brodie is a BIG loss. He is far better than tanev and tends to stay healthier.
The loss of brodie alone makes them weaker

False. Gio might be aging, everyone around the Flames acknowledges that but it also might have just been a down year. Gio is consistently the most fit Flame so I’m expecting a decent bounce back. Not to his Norris form but better than he was last season.

Also yes, losing Brodie hurts but the loss isn’t huge. Our weakest area last year was team defence. Brodie defends best by having the puck on his stick and taking it up the ice, he did not excel defending in his own end, that might be his weakest area. Tanev does that extremely well and I’m actually welcoming the change of dynamic he’s going to bring.

I would have preferred to keep Brodie obviously and add Tanev, however I think the addition of Valimaki is going to fill what we lost in Brodie and adding Tanev will make us a more well rounded unit. I’m also hoping Kylington has a regular spot this year and we can take advantage of his speed. He’s a lot like Brodie but more offensive.

I think we will be much improved.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
False. Gio might be aging, everyone around the Flames acknowledges that but it also might have just been a down year. Gio is consistently the most fit Flame so I’m expecting a decent bounce back. Not to his Norris form but better than he was last season.

Also yes, losing Brodie hurts but the loss isn’t huge. Our weakest area last year was team defence. Brodie defends best by having the puck on his stick and taking it up the ice, he did not excel defending in his own end, that might be his weakest area. Tanev does that extremely well and I’m actually welcoming the change of dynamic he’s going to bring.

I would have preferred to keep Brodie obviously and add Tanev, however I think the addition of Valimaki is going to fill what we lost in Brodie and adding Tanev will make us a more well rounded unit. I’m also hoping Kylington has a regular spot this year and we can take advantage of his speed. He’s a lot like Brodie but more offensive.

One thing to consider is that Giordano shot his lowest % last season since 08-09, if he shot 7% he'd have hit double digits in goals in a shortened season. That would more than double his goal amount and would be in line with the production we have seen in recent years. The idea he has taken a massive step back is based, imo, in his point totals and a poor playoff performance, and if he shoots at his career average of 7.1% he produces in line with 2016-17, and 2017-18 in in ~20 less games.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I want Matthew Tkachuk.

Yes I realize he's untouchable and the ask would be exorbitant, but I just felt compelled to say it since it's a Blues/Flames trade thread :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want Matthew Tkachuk.

Yes I realize he's untouchable and the ask would be exorbitant, but I just felt compelled to say it since it's a Blues/Flames trade thread :laugh:

I honestly don’t know we would ask for him. I think ROR would be the most obvious but due to age, upside and intangibles, I’d still want more. But for me personally, I’m such a fan, he’s essentially on my no trade list.

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I can’t see Blues dealing Schenn. He is arguably our 2nd best forward and huge part of team’s identity. His physical play really sets tone. We have other guys who bring physical play but none can produce like a top line player. Add in that he can play either center or wing and there is only handful of players in league who could replace that.

While Flames guys mentioned are fine players, just don’t see enough of upgrade elsewhere to even consider dealing Schenn for that package.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I can’t see Blues dealing Schenn. He is arguably our 2nd best forward and huge part of team’s identity. His physical play really sets tone. We have other guys who biting physical play but none can produce like a top line player. Add in that he can play either center or wing and there is only handful of players in league who could replace that.

While Flames guys mentioned are fine players, just don’t see enough of upgrade elsewhere to even consider dealing Schenn for that package.
I agree 100% about schenn.

In my mind Schwartz, schenn, ror, Thomas, perron just can't be replaced nor should they be brought up in conversation. I really want to give tarasenko another shot to be in that group as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree 100% about schenn.

In my mind Schwartz, schenn, ror, Thomas, perron just can't be replaced nor should they be brought up in conversation. I really want to give tarasenko another shot to be in that group as well.

Kinda OT, but what is the upside to Thomas, how good is he going to be?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Kinda OT, but what is the upside to Thomas, how good is he going to be?
So far he was instrumental in winning the blues cup at 19 with 33 regulat season pts as third line center. Last year at 20 he had 42pts in 66 games as a third line center again on pace for 50+pts if we had full season. He is going to be the first or second line center this year probably moving schenn to the rw while tank heals. His ceiling is 1c currently he is 2c. He is a dynamic fast skater who can pretty much control the offensive zone. A lot of blues fans feel he will break out this year.

My opinion he is a future 200 ft 1c wo will get 60 70 pts.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
There is one guy in Flames I would be interest in and he's Tkachuk, but doubt he'll be moved at any price.

Him and his brother will probably want to be in St Louis once his contract is over anyways. Matt is RFA. If he is adamant on going to St Louis what would be a "fair" deal?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Not false. Completely accurate. Gio is aging. Removed from norris caliper play and the loss of brodie will be bigger than most think. This is a very average D core and now had the extended risk of a oft injured Tanev to deal with. Also tanev best years sre also in the rear view mirror..... middle of the pack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not false. Completely accurate. Gio is aging. Removed from norris caliper play and the loss of brodie will be bigger than most think. This is a very average D core and now had the extended risk of a oft injured Tanev to deal with. Also tanev best years sre also in the rear view mirror..... middle of the pack

Cant say I agree at all. I think this will be the best defensive core the Flames have had in quite sometime. I expect them to be a top 5 group.

Hamonic was not good last year, at all. Gio had a down year and he will be better. I also expect Hanifin and Andersson to be the pairing that is deployed the most and both of those guys should take huge steps this season.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Cant say I agree at all. I think this will be the best defensive core the Flames have had in quite sometime. I expect them to be a top 5 group.

Hamonic was not good last year, at all. Gio had a down year and he will be better. I also expect Hanifin and Andersson to be the pairing that is deployed the most and both of those guys should take huge steps this season.

Valimaki will hopefully make a huge difference but I think top-5 is somewhat of a stretch. If Gio has a big bounce back year, Valimaki is NHL ready and we find stability on the 2nd pair, then maybe we're in the conversation, but those are all big ifs. Valimaki will replace Hanifin on the 2nd year by the end of the year tho. Much better player already at both ends of the ice. Last year our D was incredibly deep on paper but incredibly below average on the ice. We have a lot of work to do to prove we're top-5, but Valimaki is the real X factor.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Valimaki will hopefully make a huge difference but I think top-5 is somewhat of a stretch. If Gio has a big bounce back year, Valimaki is NHL ready and we find stability on the 2nd pair, then maybe we're in the conversation, but those are all big ifs. Valimaki will replace Hanifin on the 2nd year by the end of the year tho. Much better player already at both ends of the ice. Last year our D was incredibly deep on paper but incredibly below average on the ice. We have a lot of work to do to prove we're top-5, but Valimaki is the real X factor.

Having Markstrom in net will hopefully also bring stability. Over the last few years, there have been so many times when the goalies have let in absolute soft-balls and you can see the d-men in front of them deflating. When the goalie is inconsistent it forces the defence to back up and they play less confidently.

The Flames have had a long run of goalies who looked like true #1s for stretches of 30-40 games, but then collapsed. Markstrom looks to be the real deal, but we'll see obviously.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Having Markstrom in net will hopefully also bring stability. Over the last few years, there have been so many times when the goalies have let in absolute soft-balls and you can see the d-men in front of them deflating. When the goalie is inconsistent it forces the defence to back up and they play less confidently.

The Flames have had a long run of goalies who looked like true #1s for stretches of 30-40 games, but then collapsed. Markstrom looks to be the real deal, but we'll see obviously.

Gio is a really good skater, we lose Brodie’s speed but we add Valimaki and I am hopeful Kylington gets regular minutes. Tanev isn’t a speedster, but he’s a better skater than Hamonic. We will have a better skating, better puck moving blueline than perhaps we’ve ever had. I think Gio bounces back, Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki all take steps. I really like how our blueline looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad