Flames Arena, the Saga Continues

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just heard that on CTV news. Murray Edwards is a dick.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
This is a classic old boys club move - challenge the new boss, see how far you can push her.

She didn't blink. Apparently.

So to save face, they had no choice but to back out.

I, too, would be stunned if this deal was killed over an amount of money on a project that is effectively a rounding error.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah feels like a negotiation tactic to see how far they can push the new city council. As much as I would love a new arena, I hope city council doesn't bend just so Murray sees he can't push them around with threats.

But I also think like we need to hear both sides before drawing conclusions. I feel like Gondek tweeted this out first so that city council doesn't look like the bad guy.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
F*** CSEC and Edwards have to read the room. This council have different priorities and I can see them walking away to reallocate the funds to other priorities if they get pushed to far

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We'll see how the next few weeks/months play out (since we were supposed to break ground fairly soon), but I'm curious as to what Bettman will do in this situation.

He funnels money and everything on the Earth to keep a hockey team in Arizona, let's see if he'll help keep the Flames here. I'm guessing no because A) he is a scumbag which is evident by B) a few years ago he was with Murray Edwards 100% and said Calgary needs to pay for a build a new arena if they want to keep their team.

Like, you're pulling out of this deal over $9.7 million? You're worth $2 billion and f***ing live in Britain aka paying 0 tax in Canada, f*** him.

BosnianBeast

Aug 2, 2020
Lethbridge
Lol @ people that believe what this mayor is saying.

Not saying the Flames owners are saint but the mayor is not a victim
What is there to doubt, honestly? This is a very obvious tactic by Edwards to push City Council and see if he can get them to bend on things like this. f*** Murray Edwards and his shitty negotiation tactics.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah feels like a negotiation tactic to see how far they can push the new city council. As much as I would love a new arena, I hope city council doesn't bend just so Murray sees he can't push them around with threats.

But I also think like we need to hear both sides before drawing conclusions. I feel like Gondek tweeted this out first so that city council doesn't look like the bad guy.

Agreed. All the same, Edwards can go kiss a beehive.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This is the best possible news for Calgary taxpayers this Christmas!

This was a hideous deal from the start and one of the worst decisions made by our previous city council (Gondek was one who voted for the deal).

Maybe now the Flames will do the right thing and build their own privately funded arena. The owners can definitely afford it and they have contacts who can be financial partners.

Reactions: Cypruss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad