Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Travis Hamonic and 4th from Islanders for 1st and two 2nds

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
1. Bad is relative. Brodie wasn't playing at the same level as he did in previous years, but still very much a top-four defencemen. To say otherwise is just sheer buffoonery and little more than petulant whining.

2. First 'bad' year was when he had to carry the sad corpse of Denis Wideman, the same guy who couldn't get an NHL contract for any amount at any level last year. The moment Stone was brought in and Wideman was scratched, suddenly Brodie was looking good again. Who could have imagined that?

Second 'bad' year (last season) was where he had some notable struggles at certain points in time but was still largely solid despite little chemistry with Hamonic. In other words, he was still a top four defenceman.

3. His two 'bad' years coincide with the thoroughly bland and uninspiring coaching of Gulutzan aka Brent Sutters protege in trying to fit round pegs in square holes. The fact is, he's better on the right side than the left. But even then, he had better chemistry with Stone than Hamonic. Gulutzan utterly failed at utilizing the riches he had defensively.

4. On paper the defense is likely top ten. Performance wise, it's been average yes, but with a new coach that hopefully isn't a moron, there's reasons to be optimistic.

This post is chock full of truth

Reactions: Nanuuk

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
1. Bad is relative. Brodie wasn't playing at the same level as he did in previous years, but still very much a top-four defencemen. To say otherwise is just sheer buffoonery and little more than petulant whining.

I would say he has been a bad top 4 defenseman the past two years.

Maybe some of that can be blamed on his partner two years ago, although he looked better not great with Stone. But last year he was just bad because of his terrible decision making and positioning and I think that should fall squarely on him not his partner (who was very good) or his coach.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Disagree. At the time Hamonic was coming off one of the worst seasons in his career (preceded by another also subpar season), so there was already risk involved. Then the Flames gave up a significant amount of assets when you compare the trade to, for example:
-Hjalmarsson (Dauphin and Murphy),
-Schlemko (5th rounder); and yes Schlemko is a #4 quality dman
-TVR (2nd rounder)
-Jason Demers (McGinn)

All of those guys are within spitting distance of Hamonic's ability, if not better than him. The return given up for Hamonic would've been more reasonable if this was the Hamonic of four years ago, but it wasn't. It's absolutely an overpayment from day one.
I somewhat agree, but mainly disagree.

I agree that we paid for a player that hasn't been the same for quite a while now.

I disagree though that we overpaid. How else we were supposed to get a top 4 player defenseman? We didn't have any prospect ready, and it appeared that the Flames didn't trust Stone enough to be the #4. Plus, it's not Hamonic's fault we missed the playoffs. It was the whole team and mainly the coaching staff playing below expectations.

The players you mentioned (other than Hjalmarsson) are not good comparables imo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It would have been a good trade if we were better last year. It’s an ok trade.

I mean people pay similar prices for lesser players around the deadline ie Tatar

I watched the Memorial Cup (I watch it every year, such a great tourney) so it was pretty hard to see Dobson fall to the Islanders.

That said, I remember watching Brandon Gorley with the Moncton Wildcats when they went to the Memorial Cup thinking the exact same thing and he never panned out.

Dobson is better though I think.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sorry but Brodie has to prove that he is elite again...until then...
Has to prove he is elite again to whom? For what purpose? When we're talking about opinions, speculations and prognostications, it's not important what is "proven," because nothing is proven regarding the upcoming season until we watch it play out.

For me, the fact that Brodie's two worst seasons were the Gulutzan years on his wrong side, the fact that he has openly talked about his desire to play on the right, and the fact that all of his years on the right side have been elite makes for a positive outlook going into this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

2. First 'bad' year was when he had to carry the sad corpse of Denis Wideman, the same guy who couldn't get an NHL contract for any amount at any level last year. The moment Stone was brought in and Wideman was scratched, suddenly Brodie was looking good again. Who could have imagined that?

Second 'bad' year (last season) was where he had some notable struggles at certain points in time but was still largely solid despite little chemistry with Hamonic. In other words, he was still a top four defenceman.

3. His two 'bad' years coincide with the thoroughly bland and uninspiring coaching of Gulutzan aka Brent Sutters protege in trying to fit round pegs in square holes. The fact is, he's better on the right side than the left. But even then, he had better chemistry with Stone than Hamonic. Gulutzan utterly failed at utilizing the riches he had defensively.

4. On paper the defense is likely top ten. Performance wise, it's been average yes, but with a new coach that hopefully isn't a moron, there's reasons to be optimistic.

Hammering nails on the head left and right.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
TJ's fiance (now wife) was diagnosed with MS in October of 2016, I believe. That had to effect his play in 2016-17 as well as being paired with the anchor Widedog and playing on his offside. In 2017-18, TJ and his wife were expecting their first child and you have to think that, combined with his wife's health, weighed on his mind. He also again played on the left side with a new partner in Hamonic and both struggled under Gulutzan's system.

When Dougie was traded many felt that Hanifin was Dougie's replacement. I believe that TJ was really Dougie's replacement because the powers that be recognized that TJ could step up and be that #2 guy like he was before. This allowed Tre to acquire a much needed right shot C/RW in Lindholm and an established NHL'er (and rising star) LD in Hanifin.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Has to prove he is elite again to whom? For what purpose? When we're talking about opinions, speculations and prognostications, it's not important what is "proven," because nothing is proven regarding the upcoming season until we watch it play out.

To the hockey world? Lot's of people were claiming Brodie is a top 10, top 20 elite dman and are giving him a pass by blaming on his coaches, his girlfriend health, his playing partners...whatever they can blame it on.

In my book, he is no longer an elite dman. He is a skilled dman that is soft and inconsistent with frequent brain farts.

That's all...but you are right, he doesnt have to prove anything, he can be where he is at but not many will agree that he is elite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad