Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire C Drew Shore from FLA for Corban Knight

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Gaudreau and Jooris are not prospects anymore in my opinion. They have shown the ability to play and stick at the NHL level already.

1. Sam Bennett
2. Emile Poirier
3. Sven Baertschi
4. Jon Gillies
5. Morgan Klimchuk
6. Drew Shore
7. Markus Granlund
8. Tyler Wotherspoon
9. Michael Ferland
10. Mark Jankowski
11. Joni Ortio
12. Bill Arnold
13. Ryan Culkin
14. Mason McDonald
15. Brandon Hickey

On a side note I still have high hopes for Brett Kulak. He has the talent level to become an NHL player, but I am not sure if he has the character or maturity level to get there.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
How is Ortio easily ahead? McDonald was just the 1st goaltender selected in his draft year, ahead of Demko who many predict to be a stud and it wasn't an out of nowhere pick either. Ortio is just starting to look like he has an NHL future just before his waiver eligibility expires.

And no Poirier is not ahead of Klimchuk "for sure", it is very much debatable.

Can you elabourate more on that last part though? You did have Klimchuk ahead of Poirier in your rankings. I did watch both in action in a few games this season and you probably watched more of them, but all I'm saying is that stat-wise, Poirier is the top dog for his team as a first-year pro while Klimchuk is still just a little better than a PPG player in junior. Not that Klimchuk is not progressing by any means, but a player of his type in his second post-draft season might be expected to be much better than a PPG player. I know stats don't tell the whole story, but at the moment, wouldn't Poirier be in a more advanced position than Klimchuk?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Can you elabourate more on that last part though? You did have Klimchuk ahead of Poirier in your rankings. I did watch both in action in a few games this season and you probably watched more of them, but all I'm saying is that stat-wise, Poirier is the top dog for his team as a first-year pro while Klimchuk is still just a little better than a PPG player in junior. Not that Klimchuk is not progressing by any means, but a player of his type in his second post-draft season might be expected to be much better than a PPG player. I know stats don't tell the whole story, but at the moment, wouldn't Poirier be in a more advanced position than Klimchuk?

I think AF really likes Klimchuk because of his defensive abilities. This day in hockey, two way forwards are so key, so I am hoping Morgan turns out to be a solid 2nd/3rd liner LW for us in the future (especially if Baertschi doesn't really pan out the way we want him to).

May 27, 2012
Earth
I think AF really likes Klimchuk because of his defensive abilities. The day in hockey, two way forwards are so key, so I am hoping Morgan turns out to be a solid 2nd/3rd liner LW for us in the future (especially if Baertschi doesn't really pan out the way we want him to).

Poirer is a two way player.

I think Poirer is the better player right now. No slight to Klimchuk, just my opinion.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Poirer is a two way player.

I think Poirer is the better player right now. No slight to Klimchuk, just my opinion.

I wasn't knocking Poirier, I think he is the better prospect as well. I just think Klimchuk can get a little underrated around here since he isn't scoring like Poirier is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Elaborate on the fact it is debatable which is better between Poirier and Klimchuk?

I like Klimchuk better, I think he is a better 2-way forward, he is a better playmaker and does not hurt his team with stupid penalties.

I like Poirier too and I can understand why some might like him better, but to say one is easily ahead of the other and it's not debatable is ridiculous and simply not true as the debate has happened several times over. My issue was the "for sure" part of the statement that I quoted, because that implies it's a no brainer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am not saying easily ahead, but Poirer is ahead of Klimchuk right now. In 5 years...who knows?
What makes Poirier ahead though? Because he is scoring some in the in the AHL? If Klimchuk was allowed in the AHL he would be doing just as well. Last season they had similar numbers while Klimchuk played in the tougher league.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Based solely off statistics (because I haven't had the benefit of seeing Poirier play more than once or twice but I have seen Klimchuk half a dozen times or more) I'd almost call them equal. Each is involved in about 21% of their team's offense, each have progressed over the last two years (Klimchuk took a much bigger step than Poirier last season, but Poirier is putting up similar numbers in a pro league this year - which I would call a bigger step) and both are still highly valued in my opinion.

What I like about Klimchuk is his hockey sense. He knows where the puck is going to be, and puts himself there. I mentioned this before; he reminds me of Luc Robitaille in that sense (clearly with a much lower scoring ability).

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Based solely off statistics (because I haven't had the benefit of seeing Poirier play more than once or twice but I have seen Klimchuk half a dozen times or more) I'd almost call them equal. Each is involved in about 21% of their team's offense, each have progressed over the last two years (Klimchuk took a much bigger step than Poirier last season, but Poirier is putting up similar numbers in a pro league this year - which I would call a bigger step) and both are still highly valued in my opinion.

What I like about Klimchuk is his hockey sense. He knows where the puck is going to be, and puts himself there. I mentioned this before; he reminds me of Luc Robitaille in that sense (clearly with a much lower scoring ability).

How do you figure that Klimchuk made a much bigger step last year than Poirier?

Klimchuk
Draft year - 1.05 PPG Average
Post draft year - 1.30 PPG Average

Poirier
Draft year - 1.08 PPG Average
Post draft year - 1.38 PPG Average

Simply put Emile Poirier is currently the better prospect due to the fact that he has shown the ability to transition his game successfully to the pro ranks. At the moment he is leading Adirondack in scoring by a fairly healthy margin and was just named to the AHL star game during his 19/20 year old season. These are accomplishments that we can only hope that Klimchuk can match or come close to matching next year.

It would not be fair however to say that Emile Poirier is easily ahead of Morgan Klimchuk due to the fact that Poirier was given the opportunity to turn pro a year earlier due to his birthdate.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
How do you figure that Klimchuk made a much bigger step last year than Poirier?
Because my math is garbage and I was comparing the wrong seasons... :facepalm:

What you astutely point out is just adding more evidence to support my opinion that they were basically the same. Making similar progression until this season.

This season is comparing a bit more apples to oranges but I still maintain they remain at the same level. The only point I will concede is that Poirier has shown that he's more capable at the pro level than Klimchuk, because he's been able to prove he is.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gaudreau and Jooris are not prospects anymore in my opinion. They have shown the ability to play and stick at the NHL level already.

1. Sam Bennett
2. Emile Poirier
3. Sven Baertschi
4. Jon Gillies
5. Morgan Klimchuk
6. Drew Shore
7. Markus Granlund
8. Tyler Wotherspoon
9. Michael Ferland
10. Mark Jankowski
11. Joni Ortio
12. Bill Arnold
13. Ryan Culkin
14. Mason McDonald
15. Brandon Hickey

On a side note I still have high hopes for Brett Kulak. He has the talent level to become an NHL player, but I am not sure if he has the character or maturity level to get there.

I like these, but I feel like Janko should be a little higher.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Because my math is garbage and I was comparing the wrong seasons... :facepalm:

What you astutely point out is just adding more evidence to support my opinion that they were basically the same. Making similar progression until this season.

This season is comparing a bit more apples to oranges but I still maintain they remain at the same level. The only point I will concede is that Poirier has shown that he's more capable at the pro level than Klimchuk, because he's been able to prove he is.

Fair Enough! :laugh:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I like these, but I feel like Janko should be a little higher.

I don't think it would be out of the question to move him up the list either, but he is just so tough to get a gauge on at this point. I wish he was able to play over the summer in Calgary so we could all see how he is coming along both physically and on the ice.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I personally think Poirier is better than Klimchuk. However, I also think the year in the AHL has allowed him to develop much faster. I view Poirier as a physical, explosive type forward. I view Klimchuk as a two way guy. Klimchuk actually reminds me of a more talented/smarter Craig Conroy, just as a winger.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am not saying easily ahead, but Poirer is ahead of Klimchuk right now. In 5 years...who knows?

Right now everyone's comparing apples and oranges.
One is one of the best players in the AHL; the second best league in North America, and probably the 3rd/4th in the world. The other one is one of the better players in the WHL; those two leagues aren't really even close to being comparable.

Klimmer is going to be a really solid NHL'er. I've watched him live a couple dozen times now; and have been tuning into/listening to Wheaties games since his trade. The reason people rank him behind Poirier is his rate of development and what he brings to the table. It's safe to say Emile looks like he's going to be a top 6 forward, with a lot of speed, skill and grit; something fans LOVE to see. It also looks like he will be pushing for a spot on the main roster next year, already. Morgan on the other hand is a safe player; he play's a full 200 foot game, he can put up some decent offense, but nothing to write home about. He's not going to be in the NHL next season... hell, some people think he might go back to the Dub as an Over-Ager. It will take him 2-3 more seasons until he's an everyday player.

That being said, their ceilings are relatively similar, but very different at the same time. Both project to be potential top 6 wingers. Both are good skaters (Poirier of course, is something special in the speed department), both are good offensive players, both think the game well; and both are team guys. Klimmer has better IQ than Poirier from what I've seen. He plays the game effortlessly, I would even say at times he looks lazy out there (he's definitely not, he just has great defensive positioning, he doesn't exert a lot of energy running around for the puck). Poirier is the better offensive player, he's also the more dynamic player. He definitely has the game-changer feel to him; and you have to love the chip he plays with (at least in the Q when I caught him).

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think there are two things going in Poirier's favour: 1) as mentioned, he's ripping up a pro league right now. I understand Klimchuk has been injured, but he's not showing particularly good progression statistically; 2) Poirier has a clearly better set of physical tools - he's faster, bigger, stronger, and seems to have better shooting capability. Klimchuk is the smarter of the two, but it's not like Poirier is a dumb player, either. I don't think Klimchuk's smarts are enough to make up for the edge Poirier has over him physically.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think there are two things going in Poirier's favour: 1) as mentioned, he's ripping up a pro league right now. I understand Klimchuk has been injured, but he's not showing particularly good progression statistically; 2) Poirier has a clearly better set of physical tools - he's faster, bigger, stronger, and seems to have better shooting capability. Klimchuk is the smarter of the two, but it's not like Poirier is a dumb player, either. I don't think Klimchuk's smarts are enough to make up for the edge Poirier has over him physically.
to me Poirier is like Glencross, right down to the bad penalties speed and great shot. Where Klimchuk is more like Backlund with good two way play and great hockey sense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Poirier has clearly demonstrated he deserved to be picked ahead of where he was projected (and in front of Klimmer). It's hard not to call him the better prospect at this point of time.

I was looking over my draft-day notes; more or less I copy/pasted TSN final rankings then dug up more information on guys I thought we were drafting (or after we had picked them, in Emile's case). There's one comparison to a Physical Alex Tanguay; :laugh: It's pretty much like 'Well, we have a French Canadian, he can put up some points... Who's still in the NHL and did that?'

I feel like we're more or less doing a 2013 draft thread.

Back on topic about Shore. He was definitely a decent pickup for Calgary, kind of a freebie, Knight wasn't going to be much more than a good faceoff/4th liner with defensive upside (luckily we have a few of those); Shore's ceiling may be quite a bit higher than his. There's no one with anything really negative to say about this kid, his old coaches, beat writers and fans all speak glowingly about him.

As I mentioned previously. I think that this was a big nod of confidence to Billy Arnold. We're going to need a 4th line center in the not-so-distant future... And Billy's play in his first professional year has been pretty decent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad