Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire C Drew Shore from FLA for Corban Knight

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Chances are that extra spot will be saved in case Ramo comes of IR. You'd have to think Ortio will get at least 1 more game after getting a shut out.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Could be a case of them just seeing a player available that they wanted and pulling the trigger. They might not have a definite 'strategy' of where they want him to play the rest of the season, yet.

Sounds like it. I heard a clip of him on the radio saying something about how they weren't even worrying about waivers at all when they made the trade, that they're excited to get this player and will make it work regardless of what that means. Then to assuage any concerns he said of course you plan for those things, but just that they weren't going to make a decision on the trade based on waiver status.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Good points. Its worth considering that once we bring him up, he can't really be sent back down, after playing a game.

I do think at some point this season he is going to be called up. However, I think this is a move that will precede a veteran being moved around the deadline, after which Shore will be called up. That is my guess anyway.
I am looking at this more like the Colborne acquisition than someone with waiver eligibility left (even if only for a game or two..... Tallon/Treliving say 2 games, media reports all say 1 game). I think Shore might play a few games in the AHL to adjust to our system but I think at that point he will be recalled. The guy has 60+ games of NHL experience, so Treliving has a good idea what he is getting.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Chances are that extra spot will be saved in case Ramo comes of IR. You'd have to think Ortio will get at least 1 more game after getting a shut out.
Goalie recalls are usually emergency recalls that have to be demoted immediately once the injured party returns from IR

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Goalie recalls are usually emergency recalls that have to be demoted immediately once the injured party returns from IR

Are you sure about that? I thought as long as you're not over the roster limit it wouldn't matter the position. Either way I'm not saying keep him up for the season or anything just give him the next game Thursday before sending him back. I can't recall the last time a goalie has gotten a shutout and not started the next game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are you sure about that? I thought as long as you're not over the roster limit it wouldn't matter the position. Either way I'm not saying keep him up for the season or anything just give him the next game Thursday before sending him back. I can't recall the last time a goalie has gotten a shutout and not started the next game.
Like I said, "usually" they are emergency recalls. It all depends how he was designated at the time of his recall.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Dan Weiss Play by Play Announcer for the San Antonio Rampage
Jan 12 - Fan 960
http://pmd.fan960.com/radio/fan960/podcasts/morning-show/brw-20150112-102304.mp3

Summary:
  • he is a NHLer.
  • only reason he is in AHL the previous CBA it stipulated that you could only play 69 NHL games with waiver exemption
  • had he been called up he would have played the remaining 2 games and wouldn't have cleared waivers to be sent back down

• to Shore's credit, he was aware of the situation (being stuck in the AHL) and still worked his tail off
  • was and still is on the verge of a breakout season offensively
  • over the last couple of months his 2 way game was exceptional
  • his defensive game really improved under Coach Rowe

• will be a nice fit for Calgary
  • he won't be a Gaudreau exciting type player - that is not his level
  • he is going to be a really good NHL player

• Panthers were already setup down the middle with Bjugstad, Barkov, Bolland and MacKenzie before the season started
  • that left guys like Shore and Trochek on the outside looking in
  • with the depth down the center many people viewed Shore as a trade chip
  • Panther fans were hoping that Shore would have been traded for a full time NHL player
  • kudos to Tallon to giving Drew a chance to play in the NHL

• 3rd season as a pro, going to turn 24 at the end of the month
  • his defensive game has come to the point he is trusted to play on the PK (wasn't trusted to play on the PK in his first or 2nd year)
  • his vision on the ice is exceptional
  • he has an above average shot but he doesn't shoot enough - something that they will want him to work on
  • given his situation and that he didn't go with a "woe is me attitude" reflects upon his maturity
  • really loved in the lockeroom - great teammate

• he is best as a center
  • still needs work in faceoffs
  • Panthers tried him last year as a RW in training camp and a few preseason games
  • thought he had success as a RW and that the Panthers would keep him there
  • but Panthers decided to shift him back to center
  • he has played C this entire year
  • would be shocked if he didn't play C right now - but that may depend on the teams needs

• he is not a small kid
  • can line up with bigger centers and can throw his weight around
  • he is not going to drop the gloves
  • can play the 3rd/4th line roles - playing with physicality and energy
  • that is why he is a pretty unique player - he doesn't need to be in the top 6 role to thrive
  • I don't expect him to jump into a top 6 role right away
  • he does have the skillset and hockeyiq to move into a top 6 role

• Calgary is getting a good player. They are getting a solid NHL player and they will be happy with what they recieve

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dan Weiss Play by Play Announcer for the San Antonio Rampage
Jan 12 - Fan 960
http://pmd.fan960.com/radio/fan960/podcasts/morning-show/brw-20150112-102304.mp3

Summary:
  • he is a NHLer.
  • only reason he is in AHL the previous CBA it stipulated that you could only play 69 NHL games with waiver exemption
  • had he been called up he would have played the remaining 2 games and wouldn't have cleared waivers to be sent back down

• to Shore's credit, he was aware of the situation (being stuck in the AHL) and still worked his tail off
  • was and still is on the verge of a breakout season offensively
  • over the last couple of months his 2 way game was exceptional
  • his defensive game really improved under Coach Rowe

• will be a nice fit for Calgary
  • he won't be a Gaudreau exciting type player - that is not his level
  • he is going to be a really good NHL player

• Panthers were already setup down the middle with Bjugstad, Barkov, Bolland and MacKenzie before the season started
  • that left guys like Shore and Trochek on the outside looking in
  • with the depth down the center many people viewed Shore as a trade chip
  • Panther fans were hoping that Shore would have been traded for a full time NHL player
  • kudos to Tallon to giving Drew a chance to play in the NHL

• 3rd season as a pro, going to turn 24 at the end of the month
  • his defensive game has come to the point he is trusted to play on the PK (wasn't trusted to play on the PK in his first or 2nd year)
  • his vision on the ice is exceptional
  • he has an above average shot but he doesn't shoot enough - something that they will want him to work on
  • given his situation and that he didn't go with a "woe is me attitude" reflects upon his maturity
  • really loved in the lockeroom - great teammate

• he is best as a center
  • still needs work in faceoffs
  • Panthers tried him last year as a RW in training camp and a few preseason games
  • thought he had success as a RW and that the Panthers would keep him there
  • but Panthers decided to shift him back to center
  • he has played C this entire year
  • would be shocked if he didn't play C right now - but that may depend on the teams needs

• he is not a small kid
  • can line up with bigger centers and can throw his weight around
  • he is not going to drop the gloves
  • can play the 3rd/4th line roles - playing with physicality and energy
  • that is why he is a pretty unique player - he doesn't need to be in the top 6 role to thrive
  • I don't expect him to jump into a top 6 role right away
  • he does have the skillset and hockeyiq to move into a top 6 role

• Calgary is getting a good player. They are getting a solid NHL player and they will be happy with what they recieve
you're the man, wish you posted here more often.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The more this trade is analyzed by other people than the GMs themselves, the more I love the trade.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone feel like some sort of action around Drew Shore may be waiting on some kind of Eklund-brand dominoes? I mean leaving an open spot on the roster but not calling anyone up... some inconsistency on whether Shore is part of the Adirondack Flames yet...

more to come...:sarcasm:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We are definitely starting to have more of an ability to roll out 4 lines with this acquisition. I am also liking the fact that Treliving found another player that is flexible in either playing center or wing.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
The more this trade is analyzed by other people than the GMs themselves, the more I love the trade.

I've been an HFboarder since 2002, and I was shocked by this deal.

I think it was the perfect storm that made Shore available to Calgary as opposed to another team.

Anyway, I've always thought that when Shore shoots the puck on the rush he looks a bit like a poor mans Tyler Seguin. This isn't a direct comparison, it's merely a style comparable when he's using his right handed shot ~ coming in on the right side and riffling a snipe shot top cheese under the bar (in these scenarios he looks a bit like TS).

The other thing I'll say is that if you talk to those folks who really know the depth players in the NHL. As an example those guys who are in super deep fantasy leagues that know the Shore, Trocheks on each and every team. If you talk to any of them, they'll tell you that Shore is a much better NHL prospect then Knight.

Someone should show a video of his NHL goals. Dude's got game.

If Edmonton had him he would have slotted in directly behind RNH IMO. RNH-SHORE-ROY-GORDON.

Shore has legit 80-20-30-50 potential in the NHL.

I'd personally rank him below Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau and maybe Poirier for forwards

But I'd put him near the top of this tier of prospects in and around Granlund, Poirier, Baerstchi, Klimchuk (maybe), Jankowski, Gillies, Wotherspoon

Frankly I think getting Shore was like getting a low range first round prospect who is basically NHL ready. For what was basically a 4th round pick in trade ~ Corban Knight ....We got a steal of deal here.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nice post, Qubax. Based on that post, I'm going to go to the main board and post that Shore is basically Tyler Seguin. :sarcasm:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He'll be with the Flames within two weeks. He's honestly good enough to be in the top 9 RW. Move Paul Byron to the LW, scratch Raymond.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I know Panthers fans say he played center for most of his pro career, but it could be a smooth transition for him into RW as it's easier for a center to convert to a winger than the other way around. From sureloss's post, if he does have a good hockey IQ, there is no doubt he could be effective as a winger as he is in the middle.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To be honest I think it might be time to bench Byron for a bit.

I'm in agreement with this. My assessment of his game the last month is that he's mostly been the equivalent to a filler. As an example, like the filler they put in protein powder that doesn't really do anything, or like green melon in a fruit tray, it's there but no one eats it.

Byron has been skating well, but he hasn't been nearly as physical, he's not been setting up the play much and while he's still been getting breakaways, he's not finishing any opportunities. He's been in his own end, he's not hurting us, but he's not really contributing much either.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm in agreement with this. My assessment of his game the last month is that he's mostly been the equivalent to a filler. As an example, like the filler they put in protein powder that doesn't really do anything, or like green melon in a fruit tray, it's there but no one eats it.

Byron has been skating well, but he hasn't been nearly as physical, he's not been setting up the play much and while he's still been getting breakaways, he's not finishing any opportunities. He's been in his own end, he's not hurting us, but he's not really contributing much either.

What :(

Anyways, I agree that Byron needs a seat in the pressbox. Similar to Gaudreau early in the season, let him view the ice differently for a game or two and see how he responds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad