GDT: FLAMES (7-7-2) @ PANTHERS (9-7-1) 2 P.M. MT | TV: Sportsnet West

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The ‘good’ people on the Calgp&ck are saying Huberdeau’s game is rounding to form. I must be blind cause I don’t see it. I can’t imagine how he earns that contract next year. Dude is a stationary player lmfao

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Bolts fan here, not very familiar with the Flames. I see Zadorov has been playing significant minutes, getting ice on both special teams--is this his normal role with the team, or is this temporary?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Bolts fan here, not very familiar with the Flames. I see Zadorov has been playing significant minutes, getting ice on both special teams--is this his normal role with the team, or is this temporary?
Hard to imagine he'll be able to hold top 4 minutes all year but with Tanev and Stone hurt and Kylington dealing with a family situation back in Sweden, Zadorov has played his way up the line-up and his underlying numbers have looked pretty good whenever I've checked them.

Reactions: aylib

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Should've wrapped it up in regulation. Yet another Markstrom momentum killer brought the Panthers into a game we were suffocating them out of. Oh well
Markstrom is baffling right now. Last game and today he put on a show, especially today he was making saves he had no business making, and he was solely the reason we were able to mitigate some of Florida’s pushes. But he is also still responsible for one bad gaffe a game. Like if you didn’t see his misplay behind the net today or that long distance shot in the Tampa game, you would think Markstrom is playing some of his best hockey right now.

Reactions: Nanuuk

eternalflame2016

Nov 3, 2018
But NHL rinks aren't built to be able widen the dimensions except for the old Saddledome anre d maybe one or two others. Back in the Olden days the NHA, had 6 skaters aside when the NHL was formed(1917) out of the NHA they did away with the rover position or 6th skater and played with 5 skaters aside. The players then wore little equipment and were on average 150-165 lbs and not much more until later when the behemoths took over. And we have pretty much behemoths in goal on every(NHL) team. And it kills excitement these goaltenders that don't even have to "move" to make a save. Where the players have to score into an area barely 1 inch by 3 inches. Scorers need to be sharpshooters, marksman, while the tender needs to be lumbering,giant ogre. Well hockey needs to go 4 on 4 to show the World,its the Greatest game on Earth bar none! Fastest by far,Most difficult to play and master by far. Takes the most talent and skill but more than that you have to have a hockey IQ and be able to think the game and platitudes go on and on
Now that the game is over I've been able to google it and so far this season the average goals per game in the nhl is 3.16 per game which is also the highest it's been in atleast 20 years. The most watched league in the most watched sport in the world (English Premier League) is currently at 2.87 per game (the highest it's ever been).

If you want more goals then obviously making the game 4v4 would facilitate that. However by increasing the number of goals per game you reduce the value of the goals themselves.

Basketball is the perfect example of this. A single basket on its own is almost worthless. You don't cheer every basket that goes in, in fact most of the time you cheer for the times it doesn't go in (and this is why I'm not a fan of the sport).

I agree with you that Ice hockey is one of the most difficult to play and master sports there is. And I don't think anyone would disagree. But there is more to being popular than that.

Many criticisms I hear in the UK is that Ice hockey is too stop, start and the lack of flowing play puts people off. Another criticism as mentioned earlier is the cost. And the fact that you have to be able to skate so well is also off putting. The need for an ice rink makes it extremely unlikely to be available to regular people of some of the most populated countries in the world (India and Brazil spring to mind). Combine all this with the fact that most people only watch the sports they themselves play or played as a child and you have a very limited audience.

I'm afraid I don't know what the answer is to get ice hockey more popular around the world,I wish I did, I wish my local team (Nottingham Panthers) were half as good as most AHL teams let alone NHL. But changing the size of the rink or number of players isn't going to be the solution (IMO)

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He’s getting those opportunities as Calgary has had terrible luck on our defense this season with Kylington gone, Stone seemingly out long term and Tanev also getting injured. Tanev has seemingly taken on the babysitter role for Gilbert/Mackey currently as they were originally 8 and 9 on our depth chart before this season. So until Stone is back, expect him to keep getting top 4 minutes, PK time, and spot duties on the powerplay when he’s having a great game.

Giving credit where it’s due, he is also just playing some amazing hockey right now. He has cut down on the mistakes he was making last year tremdously, and he’s flashing his skating abilities a lot more this year. Offensively and defensively he has really stepped up this year, and as someone who was hoping not to bring him back after last season he’s been pretty integral so far.

Reactions: Nanuuk and aylib

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Entertaining game. Both teams played hard, lots of sloppiness defensively. Flames are a mess in their own zone, Markstrom bailed us out on quite a few grade As.

GOATed : Ruzicka. Looked like a 10 year vet.

Good : Hanifin was excellent in this one. One of his better games this year. Backs was pretty good. Tanev much better than he was against Tampa. Zadorov scored a goal, questionable D coverage on occasion.

Mostly good : Lindholm wasn't really that sharp. Had some chances and skated well tho. Dube was a little better but my god score a goal dude. Liked Coleman generally. Andersson got hemmed a cpl times but SO winner and had some good moments.

Not bad: Lewis gets a pass because he was injured. Better Lucic game. Marky gave one away sure but also took a cpl back. I would classify his performance as 'better'.

Not good : Kadri stunk, drew a penalty and had some good defensive moments tho so not a total waste. Weegar is playing like a passable #4 and we need him to be more, especially once his extension kicks in. Toffoli was junk in all 3 zones which is unusual for him. Gilbert a some good, more bad.

Bad : Huberdeau moved his legs once this game and we scored a goal. Maybe he could do that more. Mangiapane an absolute space cadet so far this season. PP1 and PK weren't great.

Give Ritchie and Lewis a rest and call up some kids. Can we please just have one comfortable win next game against Philly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad