GDT: FLAMES (39-17-8) vs. McOILERS (36-24-5)8 p.m. MT | TV: CBC/Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I admin Sutter is probably better NHL coach than me but I just can't understand why he keeps Lucic in the lineup. You get maybe 1-2 hits per game like today, but his skating is not good and he handles the puck like a live grenade. He was a lot better earlier in the season but not anymore.

Top-9 overall looks solid now, Sutter needs to bring up Ruzicka / Pelletier / Phillips to fill out at least 2/3 of that 4th line

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I admin Sutter is probably better NHL coach than me but I just can't understand why he keeps Lucic in the lineup. You get maybe 1-2 hits per game like today, but his skating is not good and he handles the puck like a live grenade. He was a lot better earlier in the season but not anymore.

Top-9 overall looks solid now, Sutter needs to bring up Ruzicka / Pelletier / Phillips to fill out at least 2/3 of that 4th line
Sutter likes his vets. Lucic and Lewis will never sit. They are his enforcers in the room lol

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm really glad the Flames won convincingly because otherwise the reffing would've been a black cloud on the last 3 battle of Alberta's against the Flames. Until the Flames got their first call tonight it was outright embarassing. Flames took legit penalties (high-stick and delay of game for sure, and Backlund 100% interfered with McDavid but I'm not sure to the point of him doing a full 360 before hitting the ice) but the fact blatant calls were ignored definitely went beyond pure incompetence. Then last game it was a clear accident, but the 1 goals scored off the Oilers was Shore from Ryan and the Linesmen, and the game before that was Kylington getting taken out on the back check right before the game winner. They've gotta sort that out.

Gonna be interesting to see the lines shake up the rest of the way out. I think if, today, I am making my ideal playoff top 9 Ruzicka is in there over Jarnkrok. He's had his looks and hasn't buried some good ones, but I've also only seriously noticed him offensively when he is getting those looks outright. But it's nice to have that flexibility. If this is the kind of big game performances the Flames get out of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and specifically Backlund, then it's gonna be gravy in the playoffs. Backlund was a monster out there. Most of the game is a write-off because the Oilers porous defence made practically every shot in the 1st and 2nd period grade A chances before the Flames were able to settle in and take over in the 3rd. Zadorov and Gudbranson could definitely use some work but every pairing for the Oilers were making Badorov plays without the ZadOrrov upside. Insane to me that Keith got traded for actual assets.

Finally; getting performances like the past few games from Dube with just a little bit better passing would be insane for the depth. His sh% is bound to regress given how he can wire the puck, and if he is on a line with Toffoli/Mangiapane offensively I just feel it is a matter of being able to make smart, somewhat above average passes to starting picking up assists. Maybe having him with Coleman right now is a way to mitigate the lack of high-danger passing, because right now he's Josh Anderson-lite, which is good in some ways, but even a full Josh Anderson is a bit too one-dimensional for my liking.
Mcdavid should give soccer a try. He fits right in with those embarrassing dives.

Keith was their best dman tonight lmfao

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why don't we have Mackey up? Zads is a liability.
Zad looked like Langway compared to Bouchard…..Johnny made him look like a guy in beer league

And yes, zad sucks some times, maybe lot of times

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I want to say, this team is resilient.
Last year this would have been a 6-1 loss to Edmonton with the goals they were scoring early. This team takes no shit, and my god are they masterful at 5v5.

Not sure why the PK is so damn good, until we play Edmonton lol

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I thought Lucic had his most effective game in a while, he was hitting everything in sight last night and those early hits set the tone for board battles later on.

If he didn't handle the puck like a hand grenade and/or made those kinds of hits consistently I'd live with the other deficiencies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Lucic is fatigued and needs a rest. However, his hits last night were exactly why he's in the lineup over a Monahan or Phillips. Remember, Sutter is old school and doesn't believe in filling a lineup with the 12 most skilled and offensive guys. He wants at least one checking line that bring energy, grit, truculence, etc.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lucic is fatigued and needs a rest. However, his hits last night were exactly why he's in the lineup over a Monahan or Phillips. Remember, Sutter is old school and doesn't believe in filling a lineup with the 12 most skilled and offensive guys. He wants at least one checking line that bring energy, grit, truculence, etc.
Only other forward that provides what he does is Ritchie. So he keeps playing

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
FO1Yp2aVgAQZzDg

Ruzicka might be the third best center in the organization. I think he deserves to be up for the playoffs. Carpenter is an injury replacement player at best.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
There was one play sequence in the game where after the play was stopped, Nurse turned and looked like he wanted a piece of somebody. Then he noticed Looch and decided discretion is the better part of valour.

That is why Lucic stays in the line-up. And his forechecking.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
View attachment 522392

Credit to tvp2003 on CP

Now that the hangover has worn off a bit and I'm thinking with a bit more of a clear mind. I think we can summarize the this pic for Oiler fans at the game:

Throw hat for hat trick, internal numbness

giphy.gif

EDIT: Dang, weird formatting difficulties.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad