GDT: FLAMES (39-17-8) vs. McOILERS (36-24-5)8 p.m. MT | TV: CBC/Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
1648358380867.png

Credit to tvp2003 on CP

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Honestly the reffing wasn't egregious. The Flames legitimately took a bunch of penalties in a row.
No they were legit penalties, but they let a lot of stuff uncalled against the oilers in between the 5. They prob let the flames get away with stuff in the 2nd half as well, but it really shouldn't be like that.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly the reffing wasn't egregious. The Flames legitimately took a bunch of penalties in a row.
The Backlund and Toffoli ones were very dubious. In the first 40, there were several worse infractions committed on Dube and Mangiapane that weren't called, plus that obvious Too Many Men

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Oh yeah, I do remember that one. Not the first time I can recall Kane ripping a guy's helmet off.
I do agree with your point that we earned 5 calls against but they clearly didn't call the game consistently which should be the bare minimum for reffing but this is the nhl so it isn't surprising

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Sutter on Gaudreau:
"He's our best checker"

Also wasn't happy with the reffing tonight

Yeah, I'm listening to his post-game presser now and he hasn't called out the refs directly (because the NHL are cowards and fine coaches when they call out their shitty officiating), but he has alluded to it several times.

The highstick and delay of game are the only two calls I won't argue, the other ones were butter soft bullshit. A McDavid dive, a phantom hook when everyone was doing it all game, trip where Bouchard dives (then complains later that Mangiapane dove). Tkachuk getting a double minor for roughing when Smith threw two sucker punches and Nurse was trying everything in his power to fight was also laughable, Flames should have definitely had a PP out of that.

It's the game management aspect which is why the officiating was so bad. Refs essentially gave Edmonton 3 goals, 2 of which were right after Flames goals, like right after.

Flames dominated the game 9-2 even strength and the score even at 9-5 flatters the Oilers, but can we get some normal officiating in this league? Enough with the game management malarkey.

Reactions: muddywaters

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Also I wanted to point out Hanifin with a +5 and 2 assists on the night.

Guy is turning into that #1 guy we all hoped he would. Andersson has also stepped up his play a lot compared to last year.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm really glad the Flames won convincingly because otherwise the reffing would've been a black cloud on the last 3 battle of Alberta's against the Flames. Until the Flames got their first call tonight it was outright embarassing. Flames took legit penalties (high-stick and delay of game for sure, and Backlund 100% interfered with McDavid but I'm not sure to the point of him doing a full 360 before hitting the ice) but the fact blatant calls were ignored definitely went beyond pure incompetence. Then last game it was a clear accident, but the 1 goals scored off the Oilers was Shore from Ryan and the Linesmen, and the game before that was Kylington getting taken out on the back check right before the game winner. They've gotta sort that out.

Gonna be interesting to see the lines shake up the rest of the way out. I think if, today, I am making my ideal playoff top 9 Ruzicka is in there over Jarnkrok. He's had his looks and hasn't buried some good ones, but I've also only seriously noticed him offensively when he is getting those looks outright. But it's nice to have that flexibility. If this is the kind of big game performances the Flames get out of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and specifically Backlund, then it's gonna be gravy in the playoffs. Backlund was a monster out there. Most of the game is a write-off because the Oilers porous defence made practically every shot in the 1st and 2nd period grade A chances before the Flames were able to settle in and take over in the 3rd. Zadorov and Gudbranson could definitely use some work but every pairing for the Oilers were making Badorov plays without the ZadOrrov upside. Insane to me that Keith got traded for actual assets.

Finally; getting performances like the past few games from Dube with just a little bit better passing would be insane for the depth. His sh% is bound to regress given how he can wire the puck, and if he is on a line with Toffoli/Mangiapane offensively I just feel it is a matter of being able to make smart, somewhat above average passes to starting picking up assists. Maybe having him with Coleman right now is a way to mitigate the lack of high-danger passing, because right now he's Josh Anderson-lite, which is good in some ways, but even a full Josh Anderson is a bit too one-dimensional for my liking.

Reactions: Tofveve

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What a game it was. I almost missed this, it didn't show up at all on my streaming service in the morning probably because of DST and I thought why not just watch the highlights after a cup of coffee. Good thing I decided to check again later

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Some times you even have to toss even the riff-raff a bone after a game like last night . . . Eric Francis' article was actually pretty decent after that W. There I said it. It's done. On a related note, I have to find more reading material when it comes to current Flames' hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad