GDT: FLAMES (38-16-8) vs. SHARKS (27-27-8) 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet One | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 | Season Series 0-2-0

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Coleman. Have a look. Or just send it up the boards if you're going to get rid of it like that.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Kylington needs a break or something
He's played the most "hard minute" hockey of his career already this season, but he really hasn't been the same since his lower body injury. A night off might be warranted.
Monahan's toast. He's the slice that needs to be thrown away at this point.
I had been optimistic that he would start a slow rebound after a handful of games where he was engaged and actively contributing. The way he played yesterday and his complete lack of interest / engagement level was absolutely disheartening. It's to the point where I wonder if he was asked about waiving his NTC before the trade deadline. He just looks like a guy who's totally given up - and that could very well be because of his injuries.

Dube looks great out there.
Dube and Tkachuk are a severely underrated duo. They've had excellent chemistry over the past three games now (they played a few shifts together before the Vancouver game)

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Lucic has been a way bigger problem than monahan, guy cant pass or get puck out of hes own zone

Agree. I actually think Monahan still flashes some skill when he has the puck on his stick. He had a pretty errant turnover last night that led to a bad goal, but in general he could be okay in a fourth line role along some better fitting players. I would love him on the LW with Ruzicka and Phillips or something of that sort. A bigger center that can play a 2-way game and a speedy skilled winger that can be a puck hound and playmaker.

Him and Lucic together is cancer. Lucic has to be in the bottom 1 percentile of players at this stage in his career. He's a liability at all times.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I think Jarnkrok can be better as well.

You never want to neuter creativity, but it's been more of the bad than the good lately with Kylington. Still a baller, but he needs to reign it in sometimes.

Hanifin was a mess out there late in the game with the goalie pulled. Just panicked and threw the puck on net with like 40 seconds to go while the Flames were hounding possession.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Agree. I actually think Monahan still flashes some skill when he has the puck on his stick. He had a pretty errant turnover last night that led to a bad goal, but in general he could be okay in a fourth line role along some better fitting players. I would love him on the LW with Ruzicka and Phillips or something of that sort. A bigger center that can play a 2-way game and a speedy skilled winger that can be a puck hound and playmaker.

Him and Lucic together is cancer. Lucic has to be in the bottom 1 percentile of players at this stage in his career. He's a liability at all times.
I dont even get what happened to lucic, he was making a lot of good plays early in the yr, now hes an utter liability

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
2x0=???

But yeah Lucic is terrible. Time for him to sit. Permanently. Gud can do the fighting if needed
Monahan at least show some competency when away from lucic, but the problem is those 2 have been glued tgt for whatever reason. Lucic has fallen off a cliff as the season went on, terrible turnovers all game. He couldn't pass early in the season either, but he kept it simple and got away with it. Now hes doing some fancy ass backhand passes (fancy for him) right to the opponent stick. The minus 2 last night was whatever, neither goal should ve gone in anyway.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I had been optimistic that he would start a slow rebound after a handful of games where he was engaged and actively contributing. The way he played yesterday and his complete lack of interest / engagement level was absolutely disheartening. It's to the point where I wonder if he was asked about waiving his NTC before the trade deadline. He just looks like a guy who's totally given up - and that could very well be because of his injuries.
Maybe he will be motivated on his contract year next year. If not, his next contract will be in Russia with Vlad Putin. Right now he is on par with James Neal/Milan Lucic and see what is happening with Neal.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't want to be the guy that piles on Monahan, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Lucic's struggles are happening as he's been paired with Mony. Those 2 are just not a good fit for each other. Get them on separate lines.

Reactions: DFF

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Revisiting this now, I don't think they were bad until Markstrom's 2nd backbreaker. I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should have been ahead 3-0 going into the 3rd.

After that the entire team started playing like crap and didn't turn up until there was 5 minutes left.

Defense as a whole was terrible (save Andersson). Lindholm was completely invisible.

Need to be much better and I'm hoping for back to back complete games on Friday and Saturday.

Also hot take maybe but that tap pass from Tkachuk to Mangiapane in the dying was a stupid play. It didn't make Reimer move much and just gave him more time to square up. Tkachuk should have shot it the second he got it or even spun and shot it.

Finally, I hate HFboards new mobile UI.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Just out of interest for the Monahan vs. Lucic discourse. Since the start of the year,
Monahan and Lucic when together at 5v5 have a 50.05 xGF% and a 23.68 GF%.
Monahan w/o Lucic 5v5 has a 52.4 xGF%, actual of 48.39%
Lucic w/o Monahan 5v5 has a 48.88 xGF%, actual of 59.26%
Flames without of them are expected at 58.14% with an actual of 63.95%

Of course, this doesn't really represent the entire season with the new deadline additions. So these same stats from January 1st to today:
Monahan and Lucic: 50.31 xGF%, 16.67 aGF%
Monahan w/o Lucic: 53.71 xGF%, 57.14 aGF%
Lucic w/o Monahan: 50.32 xGF%, 66.67 aGF%
Neither: 59.9 xGF%, 60.87 aGF%

And finally, just the month of March because why not, I'm curious (12 games)
Monahan and Lucic: 42.66 xGF%, 0 aGF%
Monahan w/o Lucic: 55.36 xGF%, 50 aGF%
Lucic w/o Monahan: 55.12 xGF%, 66.67 aGF%
Neither: 56.28 xGF%, aGF% 62.86

So after all that, who knows. Just though it'd be interesting to separate the two's ice times to see who is truly more effective apart. The only major thing to note is that they only have 28 minutes each separate since they have been lined up together most of this month.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So after all that, who knows. Just though it'd be interesting to separate the two's ice times to see who is truly more effective apart. The only major thing to note is that they only have 28 minutes each separate since they have been lined up together most of this month.
Separate one into the press box and I'm on board.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Revisiting this now, I don't think they were bad until Markstrom's 2nd backbreaker. I don't think it's unreasonable to say we should have been ahead 3-0 going into the 3rd.

After that the entire team started playing like crap and didn't turn up until there was 5 minutes left.

Defense as a whole was terrible (save Andersson). Lindholm was completely invisible.

Need to be much better and I'm hoping for back to back complete games on Friday and Saturday.

Also hot take maybe but that tap pass from Tkachuk to Mangiapane in the dying was a stupid play. It didn't make Reimer move much and just gave him more time to square up. Tkachuk should have shot it the second he got it or even spun and shot it.

Finally, I hate HFboards new mobile UI.

If Gaudreau scored on the PS, that could have completely changed things as well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think at this point game to game analysis isn’t that important. This team will be measured by the success they do or do not have in the ploffs

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think at this point game to game analysis isn’t that important. This team will be measured by the success they do or do not have in the ploffs
Yeah, I think they may rest a bit then ramp up for the playoffs. It’s tricky but I trust Sutter know what he is doing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad