GDT: FLAMES (37-27-17) vs. SHARKS (22-42-16) | 8 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Calgary has to make a trade to be under the cap next year, and Vladar just makes the most sense to move I’d say, unless the team is planning a massive trade in the off-season. Doesn’t weaken our forwards and defense, and it has the easiest option for an internal replacement in Wolf. Probably the most likely situation Also good news for the youth movement folks, Calgary quite literally can’t afford to not play the prospects.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Coronato
Pelletier-Kadri-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Ruzicka-Dube-Duehr
League min veteran

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Kylington-Zadorov

Gilbert

Markstrom
Wolf

That’s a 22 man roster that just barely sneaks in under the cap.
thats great and all but the following year there is a chance that they lose their #1 C, 2nd line RW, #3 C, and 4 out of 6 of the d.
They need clarity on who will extend this offseason and trade those who are resistant to extending and regardless of what he wants they need to TRADE Toffoli at the draft.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
thats great and all but the following year there is a chance that they lose their #1 C, 2nd line RW, #3 C, and 4 out of 6 of the d.
They need clarity on who will extend this offseason and trade those who are resistant to extending and regardless of what he wants they need to TRADE Toffoli at the draft.
That’s what you want them to do not what they need to. Pretty sure you’ve been over your plan to sell Toffoli for futures then immediately pivot the cap space to sign a replacement. The question is which list of teams hoping to be competitive has the 4.5 mil in cap space to take him on full price, and what even relatively equivalent goal scorer are we signing to replace him?

Coming into the last season of the flat cap next year, think the benefits of waiting until the trade deadline outweigh any off-season deals. Gives Calgary a chance to see if this was a down year or if their quick retool failed. Prices may be slightly worse, but the list of potential buyers will be way higher after teams have accrued some cap space and know for sure if they’re looking to add, should give us much more options. If next season’ a failure,any of Hanifin, Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev at 2 million after retention (even down to less that 2 if we utilize Arizona) would probably net us atleast 3 firsts plus more.

Or we have a major bounce back, are happy we kept our players and don’t sell at the deadline, then utilize the cap going up by 4 to 5 million and boosted player morale to take your best run at keeping the band together.

I do agree though, we should take our best runs at reasonable extensions for some of the pending UFAs this summer, namely Lindholm and Hanifin. If we don’t have a major sell off at next years deadline, it likely means the team bounced back hard. Those two are the likeliest of that group to have their numbers or their value sky rocket if that happens. Don’t want to commit early on too many players though, because this roster needs to be torn down if next season is a bust.

And that’s what I want them to do, not what they need to do or what they likely do either.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I see Coronato as a middle six but who knows, maybe he’s better. Time will tell.

Wolf, on the other hand, is a studddddd. Believe the hype.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Don't believe the hype on any goaltender in any league.
I was the one who said trade Markstrom in the off-season for a first + and I got lambasted for it.

I’ve been saying Dustin will be a top 5 goalie since his WHL days. Nothing will change my mind. Especially not a Sutter apologist.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I was the one who said trade Markstrom in the off-season for a first + and I got lambasted for it.

I’ve been saying Dustin will be a top 5 goalie since his WHL days. Nothing will change my mind. Especially not a Sutter apologist.
Can you put out goalie projections for next year, so I can win every fantasy league? It's a pity you never had the opportunity at some point to be an NHL GM.

You deftly twisted me arguing a side into labeling me an apologist, so kudos on that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Can you put out goalie projections for next year, so I can win every fantasy league? It's a pity you never had the opportunity at some point to be an NHL GM.

You deftly twisted me arguing a side into labeling me an apologist, so kudos on that.
Markstrom was a product of Calgary’s system last year. Pretty easy to see that. Look at my post history, I’ve never been a fan and didn’t understand how he was so adored despite being a pretty below average goalie his whole career.

Wolf on the other hand:
Stats: historically good
Eye test: freakishly impressive

And yeah you’ve been mocking flames fans all year for questioning Sutter’s lack of trust in young players. You and a few others defend his every move. And here we are, out of the playoffs with a top 3 roster in the west.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
And yeah you’ve been mocking flames fans all year for questioning Sutter’s lack of trust in young players. You and a few others defend his every move. And here we are, out of the playoffs with a top 3 roster in the west.
I haven't defended his every move. I've questioned his handling of Huberdeau and Kadri all year.
What I haven't done, is subscribe to the narrative on this board and in the media, that Sutter is a bad coach because:
1) He's gruff with reporters in post-game
2) He ruined Pelletier's big night
3) He doesn't coach "exciting" hockey
4) He's a dinosaur because he didn't play a small player with no pedigree who is putting it all together in the AHL at age 25.
5) he stifles offense, magically, mythically, because he's pretty much always coached teams with low efficiency, and high shot volume, he's not an "offensive coach"

If you look around the league, there is many examples of young guys coming in, and struggling mightily, because the gap between the AHL and NHL is huge, and Darryl knows this. But all of a sudden he doesn't know hockey, somehow.
Frankly, people wishing to see some AHL players play because an NHL team is struggling deserve to be mocked, don't they? It's as if people think the NHL staff isn't watching the Wranglers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4