GDT: FLAMES (34-26-15) @ CANUCKS (34-34-6) | 8 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's not flawed logic at all unless you pretend that every shot by both teams is identical. And that, to me, is flawed logic. I have full confidence that Markstrom would stop 18 more shots that were well-defended. Those aren't the goals that have been going in.

Anyway, I get what you are saying about the bar for a difference-maker, but my whole deal is that the Flames' tendency to leak grade-AAA chances every game with a low shot total essentially removes the element of goaltending from their game. Realistically, having a good goalie is a bit of an unnecessary use of assets if this is how we play, and if we brought up Dustin Wolf we'd just destroy his confidence.

So to me, there is just no point in complaining about goaltending. He's making the saves he's supposed to make while the team's play gives him very little chance to put up good numbers. We're losing because of consistent critical breakdowns and a lack of any kind of plan on the PP.

Markstrom’s biggest struggles has been medium danger chances.

So no, I don’t have great confidence he makes all those 18 shots.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's not flawed logic at all unless you pretend that every shot by both teams is identical. And that, to me, is flawed logic. I have full confidence that Markstrom would stop 18 more shots that were well-defended. Those aren't the goals that have been going in.

Anyway, I get what you are saying about the bar for a difference-maker, but my whole deal is that the Flames' tendency to leak grade-AAA chances every game with a low shot total essentially removes the element of goaltending from their game. Realistically, having a good goalie is a bit of an unnecessary use of assets if this is how we play, and if we brought up Dustin Wolf we'd just destroy his confidence.

So to me, there is just no point in complaining about goaltending. He's making the saves he's supposed to make while the team's play gives him very little chance to put up good numbers. We're losing because of consistent critical breakdowns and a lack of any kind of plan on the PP.
I don't mean to come in here at a bad time, but Markstrom never put up below a .910 sv% or above 2.77 GAA* on some bad Canucks teams that had worse defensive breakdowns than the current Flames do. He's already had two seasons with a worse save percentage in 3 years since moving on from Vancouver. It's possible that age has slowed him but it could also be that he needs something different from your goaltending coach.

Not any hate, just some data for the argument.

*In a season with 20 or more games played.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't mean to come in here at a bad time, but Markstrom never put up below a .910 sv% or above 2.77 GAA* on some bad Canucks teams that had worse defensive breakdowns than the current Flames do. He's already had two seasons with a worse save percentage in 3 years since moving on from Vancouver. It's possible that age has slowed him but it could also be that he needs something different from your goaltending coach.

Not any hate, just some data for the argument.

*In a season with 20 or more games played.
Yes, it's called a different goaltending coach. Guy ruins goalies like meth ruins teeth.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
1a8qy1.jpg

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad