Post-Game Talk: Flames 3, Pens 2 (SO) - Flames Dump on HSL's Triumphant Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Injuries aren't as crippling as Sullivan actively making this team bad with terrible roster decisions. Every forward line looked painful and forced.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jake's really starting to gain the trust of the coaching staff.
He was 5th in TOI behind Sid, Phil, Bones and Kunitz tonight. Kunitz played 5 more seconds than him and remember Jake doesn't PK so...

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
NHL Helmet Rule:

“When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has possession of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing team has possession of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending team’s end zone face-off spots.

When a goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask in order to secure a stoppage of play, the Referee shall stop play as outlined above and in this case assess the goalkeeper a minor penalty for delaying the game.”

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I've never really seen a play where the goalies mask comes off and they wait for possession. They always blow it dead immediately.

Maybe this was the only super rare case where the goal should've stood after reading the rule.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I think Errey is just wrong. I know NHL fakes it on player safety, but for as long as I've played hockey, that rule has been the same. Goalies mask off = instant whistle.

Hey Cole . . . 13:17 TOI for Hornqvist. As you suspected . . .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dat gif, tho. :laugh: Weird game overall. Just move on. I thought Murray was terrific an really happy Guentzel scored. Sid could have had 8 points yet still didn't even look fully engaged.

**** it. I'm heading to an early night sleep. On to Colorado! Hopefully with Big G and Hags.

Well, they didn't rule Geno out for Thursday, and if Geno had his druthers, he'd be playing already. So, he's definitely going to be shot out of a cannon when he finally plays.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
People are really complaining after this game?

It's as if a top heavy team without one of its top heaviest players isn't quite the same without him.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
People are really complaining after this game?

It's as if a top heavy team without one of its top heaviest players isn't quite the same without him.

The players weren't on top of their game. That said, games like these happen. Like you, I wouldn't get worked up over it.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Caps won, CBJ won, Rags won, Pens lost. An outstanding night :shakehead.

Let the Caps have their fun now in the regular season. Every year they look like a machine and then when we get to the playoffs they find things are a lot harder. Plus Kirk is right, finishing fourth wouldn't be so bad.

On another note the Blues steamrolled the Sens. If they keep their momentium going, I guess that's one less market for Fleury...and one major trade chip out if hey keep Shatty

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So the Pens have wingers like Kessel, Hornqvist, and Guentzel available to them, and Crosby gets Kunitz and Rust. I mean, I get that the Pens were missing some key guys. But why is Sullivan going out of his way to ice the worst possible combinations with what he has available to him?

Ah well, at least Murray was good and earned the Pens a point. There's that, I suppose.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
(1) Chauncey Kunitz was there. Brownie points to anyone who gets the reference.

(2) Jake (and Rowney) were too, but mostly Kunitz.

(3) Sid was like a Dickens novel. #998 was the best of times, many of his SCR shifts were the worst of times.

(4) Tremendous PK in OT.

(5) Lines are a train wreck. Maatta-Daley is worse.

(6) Pens lose in regulation without Murray. Pens lose in OT without Murray. Sadly, the shootout isn't his forte, but you don't have shootouts in the playoffs, and Murray gave them every chance to win it before it came to that.

Chauncy Gardner. Being There.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Gonna be hard to score when your lines are all scrambled and you're missing 3 of your top 6 forwards.. Something needs to be done about that Maatta- Daley pairing.. We had our chances, just couldn't put one more in the net. On to the next one

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Gonna be hard to score when your lines are all scrambled and you're missing 3 of your top 6 forwards.. Something needs to be done about that Maatta- Daley pairing.. We had our chances, just couldn't put one more in the net. On to the next one

Honestly, I'm happy that the pairing is messed up because of Daley. He is just absolutely clueless out there sometimes. At least Maatta's flaws are getting beat out because of speed or size.

I don't understand why they don't run Daley - Letang / Maatta - Schultz / Dumo - Cole, especially with how they are handing out ice time.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
Finishing 4th in the division wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Washington is running away with the 1 seed again. Getting the 7 seed gives us the best chance of repeating IMO. Don't like our odds in a Columbus Washington RD 1 2 scenario. Even though we own Washington in the playoffs just don't see us surviving that scenario.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Didn't the Pens lose some awful game to Calgary late last season too?

Yeah it was a Saturday afternoon game and I am pretty sure they had the lead at one point and then just stopped caring and lost.

It was one of the rare games on their mega run where They looked like Bylsma's team again

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So the Pens have wingers like Kessel, Hornqvist, and Guentzel available to them, and Crosby gets Kunitz and Rust. I mean, I get that the Pens were missing some key guys. But why is Sullivan going out of his way to ice the worst possible combinations with what he has available to him?

Ah well, at least Murray was good and earned the Pens a point. There's that, I suppose.

You make a good point.

For some reason, they hate Sid-Phil for any length of time. 1 or 2 shifts a game at most. Perhaps it's because Sully likes a more 2-way RW'er there. That and he seems to be trying to keep HBK or Bones-Phil a thing.

I dunno. I think Sid's calling the shots more than anything else.
He probably figures Phil isn't a puck retriever + having him on lower lines makes the roster more dangerous.
At the moment, i think Sid just prefers Sheary, Rust and Kunitz.
Things can change though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad