GDT: FLAMES (28-13-6) vs. KRAKEN (16-30-4) 8 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West/CBC | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Serious question, this off-season if you can move either Monahan or Looch, who would you rather keep?
You move them both to free up cap space to sign everyone you need to, and go shopping for more affordable replacements as UFA.

Except you can't without spending the remaining assets in the 2022 draft, and then some in 2023 too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Serious question, this off-season if you can move either Monahan or Looch, who would you rather keep?
None if we can find someone foolish enough to pick them up even for free. You trade the one you can.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
You move them both to free up cap space to sign everyone you need to, and go shopping for more affordable replacements as UFA.

Except you can't without spending the remaining assets in the 2022 draft, and then some in 2023 too.
Move Monahan before the TD for the best available assets and promote Ruzicka.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
And we are 1 injury away from top 6 Ruzicka not ideal for a cup run
Don't underestimate that kid, he has been sheltered- I get that. But his ceiling is clearly higher that what he has been able to accomplish with limited minutes and anchors around him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Don't underestimate that kid, he has been sheltered- I get that. But his ceiling is clearly higher that what he has been able to accomplish with limited minutes and anchors around him.

I'm not underestimating him I think putting yourself in a position that he needs to be as good as the top 6 on contenders is recipe for disaster. I like the kid let him play on the 4th line this year and gain some confidence and experience and let him work his way up the lineup. Good teams have depth they aren't 1 injury away from disaster

Reactions: joescores

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not underestimating him I think putting yourself in a position that he needs to be as good as the top 6 on contenders is recipe for disaster. I like the kid let him play on the 4th line this year and gain some confidence and experience and let him work his way up the lineup. Good teams have depth they aren't 1 injury away from disaster

Because burying top six calibre forwards with scrubs before they arrive in the state of Florida has been so historically successful

Can you imagine that same post if applied to, I dunno, 22yo Anthony Cirelli?

"I'm not underestimating Cirelli I think putting yourself in a position that he needs to be as good as the top 6 on contenders is recipe for disaster. I like the kid let him play on the 4th line this year and gain some confidence and experience and let him work his way up the lineup. Good teams have depth they aren't 1 injury away from disaster"

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Because burying top six calibre forwards with scrubs before they arrive in the state of Florida has been so historically successful

"I'm not underestimating Cirelli I think putting yourself in a position that he needs to be as good as the top 6 on contenders is recipe for disaster. I like the kid let him play on the 4th line this year and gain some confidence and experience and let him work his way up the lineup. Good teams have depth they aren't 1 injury away from disaster"
The difference is, 22yo Anthony Cirelli had already played a full season in the NHL, and another 18 games the year before that (so was entering his third season/second full season in the NHL). Ruzicka is playing his 18th game of the NHL season today, and has 21 games experience. I'm not saying he shouldn't move up, I'm saying let him get his feet wet and acclimated to the NHL before putting him into that bigger role. He's still figuring out his NHL game right now

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Yes because having 4 nhl centers for a cup run means I would never move Ruzicka up. He is literally the only center to have success on the 4th line and make them useful no reason to not leave him there this season

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

He is way overpaid, but losing Looch would really hurt this teams dynamic.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I can't believe it has come to this. People picking Looch over Monahan just doesn't register in my brain (Not to say it's wrong).

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Lucic brings a lot to the table. I have personally loved his time in Calgary. If he was making 3m no one would say anything. Overpaid, yea, but he brings a dynamic to the forward group no one else does.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Watching plays just die between Monahan and Lucic is peak Flames. We need another centre badly. Clearly Sutter doesn’t love Dubé, but have Monahan as a contingency 5C is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad