GDT: FLAMES (28-13-6) vs. KRAKEN (16-30-4) 8 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West/CBC | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
5Io0AoD.gif

Forgot what such a close game felt like. A bit unlucky not to have scored more.
Solid game overall again! Feels good man.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Are Bieksa and elliot extra heated at each other this broadcast? At least bieksa

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Now you all should turn on the Olympic final and cheer Finland to their first ever gold. Two former Flames are playing, Granlund and Nesterov.

Make it three, didn't remember Yelesin

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That's just how Gio plays. He's a mean prick if you take the puck away. Man is chalked full of gumption.

Not a masterpiece by any means but a good grit it out W. Flames definitely played their B game, and for the first 30 minutes it was barely even that. Took it to them some shifts, and even when they spent time in our zone not a ton of dangerous chances. NST had HDC at 16-2 for the Flames.

Good : Lindholm really shines in these kind of games. Excited to see what he can do in the POs this year. Markstrom didn't have to do too much but made it look easy. Mangiapane, Backlund both real decent. Andersson, Zadorov.

Not bad : Tkachuk, Tanev, Lucic, Ruzicka. Johnny was skating well but puck was not cooperating tonight. Toffoli I thought had a decent game.

Meh : Kylington gotta get that puck out in the final minute my man, had a couple other minor mishaps. Dube, Lewis, Coleman.

Not good : Gudbranson struggled a bit, lots of icings and missed passes. Looked a little banged up. Hanifin and Monahan, sometimes I wonder if you could find a pulse between the two of them.

Lez go for the franchise record why not

Reactions: Boomstick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What do you think the cost for Jankrok would be?

Calgary really won’t be able to afford the peaks and valleys of Monahan being a regular come playoff time. Everyone needs to chip in.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That's just how Gio plays. He's a mean prick if you take the puck away. Man is chalked full of gumption.

Not a masterpiece by any means but a good grit it out W. Flames definitely played their B game, and for the first 30 minutes it was barely even that. Took it to them some shifts, and even when they spent time in our zone not a ton of dangerous chances. NST had HDC at 16-2 for the Flames.

Good : Lindholm really shines in these kind of games. Excited to see what he can do in the POs this year. Markstrom didn't have to do too much but made it look easy. Mangiapane, Backlund both real decent. Andersson, Zadorov.

Not bad : Tkachuk, Tanev, Lucic, Ruzicka. Johnny was skating well but puck was not cooperating tonight. Toffoli I thought had a decent game.

Meh : Kylington gotta get that puck out in the final minute my man, had a couple other minor mishaps. Dube, Lewis, Coleman.

Not good : Gudbranson struggled a bit, lots of icings and missed passes. Looked a little banged up. Hanifin and Monahan, sometimes I wonder if you could find a pulse between the two of them.

Lez go for the franchise record why not

I think Hanifin is hurt tbh. Hasn't looked the same since he got shook up last game.

The excuse train has to end with Monahan at some point. He has the line mates now, you have to show a little more at some point.

Reactions: deleted user

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Monahan has 2 pts in 3 games and is skating better than ive ever seen him skate, whats people expecting out if him? Hes a 3rd line center for this team and hes doing fine in that role.

Cmon... 3 game sample size?

He has less even strength points than Trevor Lewis and Erik Gudbrandson. The bar should be a little higher here.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Calgary really won’t be able to afford the peaks and valleys of Monahan being a regular come playoff time. Everyone needs to chip in.

I'd honestly just prefer Ruzicka on the third line at this point if Mony doesn't get going. He has done more with less this season.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Cmon... 3 game sample size?

He has less even strength points than Trevor Lewis and Erik Gudbrandson. The bar should be a little higher here.
Thats how many games where he played with legit winger??? Has he not looked competent since the guy JG couldn't even carry finally left?? Like ffs the games with Ritchie at even strength might as well be 4v5.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Thats how many games where he played with legit winger??? Has he not looked competent since the guy JG couldn't even carry finally left?? Like ffs the games with Ritchie at even strength might as well be 4v5.

He’s also had games with mangiapane and Coleman and wasn’t producing…

Gaudreau went from a 3rd liner at ES to literally the best ES scorer in the nhl when being split from money.

But I won’t bicker any further because this was a good win and I’m happy about that. Hope he shows more, and if not give Ruzicka a chance on that line.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
He’s also had games with mangiapane and Coleman and wasn’t producing…

Gaudreau went from a 3rd liner at ES to literally the best ES scorer in the nhl when being split from money.

But I won’t bicker any further because this was a good win and I’m happy about that. Hope he shows more, and if not give Ruzicka a chance on that line.
The time monahan had with those 2 were short af, and he and coleman were huge against the ducks in Anaheim. He played with freaking lewis and richardson just as much as mangi and and coleman. After playing with the 2nd and 3rd worst player on the team, he was glued to the worst one for the last 15 games... Its not a miracle hes not producing.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don't think it's easy to look at 3 games of Monahan and say confidently either way that he's done or not (I'm definitely still leaning the former with some hope he can pull it out) but it's still very concerning when in a game like today against Seattle, Monahan's main contributions are running around throwing checks while even Lucic finds himself open and creates chaos enough to get a chance. At this point he's the 3rd line centre but still ranks 3rd in importance/skill/what have you on his line and that simply isn't a recipe for success with a centre unless it's Lindholm playing with two bonafide top 10 wingers in the NHL. Still though, give them time to settle, let Toffoli get some practices in and learn to play with the team/line, and then there's a period of decision there.

Still a bit concerned that the Flames scoring was entirely the top line. Sure, it was a B game and Mangiapane/Andersson had the chances to also win 2-1 (really that 2nd line was all over it) it remains concerning that when the going gets tough the top line shows up, but the depth can only seem to score on nights their destined to win 6-x.

Markstrom still clutch tho

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I'll start backwards... let's say the options for the 1C is not possible but the ownership mandate is ploffs or Johnny/Tkachuk have stated some form of "impress me" scenario... So... rentals are necessary and on target. Only non-moveable piece is 2023 1st because Treliving at least has that foresight and let's say he somehow might last for a rebuild... so at least the first it has to be top 5/10 protected. And we don't want to mess up the roster.

So... since we've been chatting about Jarnkrok, let's loot Seattle as a mental exercise.

Jarnkrok + McCann for Ritchie + Monahan (Lucic doubt. Cost too much to move) ++ ?

Seattle: Jarnkrok + McCann = 3.94 All UFA
Calgary: Monahan + Ritchie = 7.279 w/ Monahan 2 year

Could a deal be made with middle 6 adds and Flames futures that makes sense in terms of a rental concept for a 1 year aim for the cup, but also leaving enough assets to retool depending on the extension outcome?

Plusses: Valimaki + Poirier? Helps Seattle build that defense, our LD call up in order is something like: Mackey/Poolman

Roster:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Toffoli
Dube - McCann - Jarnkrok
Lucic - Ruzika - Richardson
Lewis/Phillips/Pelletier

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Zadorov - Gubranson
Mackey/Poolman/Stone

Markstron/Vladar

How does a roster like this feel like for a cup run including injury swaps vs some of those other teams? (have to assume no 1C available, so might poke into a shore up the 2C/3C ish concept).

We also clear Monahan's cap for the extensions. Depending what is going on with JG/Tkachuk, we also still have our 1st (or at least it will be top 10 protected). Jarnkrok/Gubranson/JG** UFA. Brouwer buyout clears. McCann/Zadorov/Mangiapane/Kylington/Tkachuk RFA extend or flip

How's the logic running for this year and next year?

Don't get stuck on McCann. I'm just wondering about the concept of a McCann calibre C to go along with a guy of the calibre and fit of Jarnkrok with Ritchie and Monahan (assuming not Lucic) out.

Seeing Seattle play just made me curious about focusing on pieces from this club. The salary difference also technically might be close enough to look at a reserve like a salary retained Gio... although the cost might be too high.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Roster:

Dube - McCann - Jarnkrok
Lewis/Phillips/Pelletier

And we traded Coleman for picks or something? I'd rather avoid McCann, not because I think he's bad, but because I think he'll cost more than people might think (he's 3 points away from tying his career high in points, and has already set this season as a career high in goals). McCann makes sense almost exclusively as a rental with no intention of re-signing, but neither him or Jarnkrok are better at faceoffs than Monahan, and part of the reason as a team we've been so effective is because we win so many of our face-offs (Jarnkrok likely being brought in as a winger makes acquiring him less of an issue).

I am a fan of Monahan, but I understand replacing him, especially with his cap hit vs what he brings to the table right now (though he has looked a lot better since Ritchie was removed from his line). But replacing him with a sub-50% FO center doesn't make sense given the importance of possession in Sutter's system.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'll start backwards... let's say the options for the 1C is not possible but the ownership mandate is ploffs or Johnny/Tkachuk have stated some form of "impress me" scenario... So... rentals are necessary and on target. Only non-moveable piece is 2023 1st because Treliving at least has that foresight and let's say he somehow might last for a rebuild... so at least the first it has to be top 5/10 protected. And we don't want to mess up the roster.

So... since we've been chatting about Jarnkrok, let's loot Seattle as a mental exercise.

Jarnkrok + McCann for Ritchie + Monahan (Lucic doubt. Cost too much to move) ++ ?

Seattle: Jarnkrok + McCann = 3.94 All UFA
Calgary: Monahan + Ritchie = 7.279 w/ Monahan 2 year

Could a deal be made with middle 6 adds and Flames futures that makes sense in terms of a rental concept for a 1 year aim for the cup, but also leaving enough assets to retool depending on the extension outcome?

Plusses: Valimaki + Poirier? Helps Seattle build that defense, our LD call up in order is something like: Mackey/Poolman

Roster:

Dube - McCann - Jarnkrok
Lewis/Phillips/Pelletier

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Zadorov - Gubranson
Mackey/Poolman/Stone

Markstron/Vladar

How does a roster like this feel like for a cup run including injury swaps vs some of those other teams? (have to assume no 1C available, so might poke into a shore up the 2C/3C ish concept).

We also clear Monahan's cap for the extensions. Depending what is going on with JG/Tkachuk, we also still have our 1st (or at least it will be top 10 protected). Jarnkrok/Gubranson/JG** UFA. Brouwer buyout clears. McCann/Zadorov/Mangiapane/Kylington/Tkachuk RFA extend or flip

How's the logic running for this year and next year?

Don't get stuck on McCann. I'm just wondering about the concept of a McCann calibre C to go along with a guy of the calibre and fit of Jarnkrok with Ritchie and Monahan (assuming not Lucic) out.

Seeing Seattle play just made me curious about focusing on pieces from this club. The salary difference also technically might be close enough to look at a reserve like a salary retained Gio... although the cost might be too high.

I know you said not to get caught up on McCann but he is an Rfa and one of the few good players Seattle has and they are going to trade him for a 6 Million dollar center that hasn't looked the same since his surgery for Valimaki and a mystery box in Poirier?

If you want to trade Monahan you're going to need to find a team that desperately needs a center( the one thing Seattle actually has) or you're going to have to be okay not trading for a better player then Monahan unless you want to add a prospect you don't want to move.

I'm personally fine with keeping Monahan this year and figuring it out this offseason, is he a 6 million dollar player no but he is still useful and fine #3 center

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan is slow and passive. Add some laziness and he looks bad sometimes.

with the depart of Ritchie, he is the prime scapegoat on the team. I can’t find another one that is more underperforming relative to salary/expectations

Zadorov is the closest one but he is 3x alive

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I'm personally fine with keeping Monahan this year and figuring it out this offseason, is he a 6 million dollar player no but he is still useful and fine #3 center

No offense, but if a broken Monahan is an example of a serviceable #3C then the bar has been set too low.

He doesn't do anything... Unfortunately.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
The hate he gets is honestly comical at this point. He is very useful on the pp which we need and 5v5 as a 3rd line center he is fine now that he has 2 real wingers.

Fine now? Okay... Keep on believing he's the trigger man he once was. That's fine. Mony apologists.. I feel for you guys. It's hard seeing a fav player lose it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad