Flames 2018 Preseason / Training Camp Thread (All Encompassing)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm thinking that the league will waive the 8 veteran player requirement for Flames and Boston preseason NA games while the main teams are over in China. The league wants to put their best foot forward by having the best possible product on the ice for both games in China so I expect we'll see all the Flames and Bruins regulars playing in China.

The only players we probably won't see are some of last season's bubble players and they'll be replaced by those players that management feel have a chance at making the team.

I figure there are 3 openings on D so I expect we'll see Kulak, Andersson, and Valimaki in China.

With regards to forwards I think there are 4 openings so I expect to see Mangiapane, Foo, Dube, and Lazar in China.

With regards to the rest of the team in China, please see my above post.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Hey guys, I just wanted to know if we will use this thread for for all the training camp and pre-season news or if we will open a new thread(for now I will post all the training camp and pre-season news on this thread but we can move it if needed)?

Kristen Anderson on Twitter

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's a rookie camp thread for some news. We'll likely open a new thread once rookie camp wraps up, or sooner?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think we should just have a separate preseason/training camp thread which would include all preseason games (NA and China games) as well as rookie prospects because as I understand they will also be involved in the Flames preseason... at least until they get cut.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
From what I’ve heard from Treliving is that our top prospects will be staying in Calgary playing big minutes in the four preseason games we have while the rest of the team is in China.

My guess is they bring older guys like Ehliz and Prout to fill out the China roster

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
From what I’ve heard from Treliving is that our top prospects will be staying in Calgary playing big minutes in the four preseason games we have while the rest of the team is in China.

My guess is they bring older guys like Ehliz and Prout to fill out the China roster
Well there's something to be said for playing legitimate prospects against seasoned NHL players. Much easier to make a proper evaluation than if they were playing against a team with 8 veterans and 13 AHL players and first year rookie pros. The Flames brass won't get an opportunity to evaluate players like Valimaki or Foo or Dube again, so early in the preseason, against basically another full roster veteran NHL team... and a good one at that. They'll really be able see how well these guys perform with the regular Flames team.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So as we already knew, Lindholm will be playing alongside Mony at the start of the season.
What we didn't know was that Lindholm will be taking the majority of the FO's to start the season.

Also, what most of us figured, Neal will eventually get a shot at playing with JG and Mony.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I like that he still wants to try Tkachuk on that line. While it definitely is a huge blow to the second line, Neal-Backlund-Lindholm still works imo.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like that he still wants to try Tkachuk on that line. While it definitely is a huge blow to the second line, Neal-Backlund-Lindholm still works imo.

That's a line that'll be around 50 points per player+
Nothing to scoff at.

I like Chucky and Johnny on different lines though, TBH. We need line offensive catalysts throughout. While Backlund's a driver and possession fiend, he's not an offensive driver like Chucky.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's a line that'll be around 50 points per player+
Nothing to scoff at.

I like Chucky and Johnny on different lines though, TBH. We need line offensive catalysts throughout. While Backlund's a driver and possession fiend, he's not an offensive driver like Chucky.
I like that too. But wouldn't be surprised if Tkachuk gets a crack at RW on the JG-Mony line... but only if its not working out with either Lindholm or Neal. I really like the thought of Chucky and Neally playing on the same line together. They'll drive the opposition so nuts the opposition will be pulling their hair out and smashing sticks by the time they get back to the bench.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They still play games at home, that'll need warm bodies with some experience; My thinking is they'll take:

Almost certain:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Ryan - Czarnik
Kids/Plugs

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valkimaki - Andersson
Kids/Plugs

Smith
Rittich
Parsons

At home they'll keep:

Frolik - Jankowski - Hathaway
Mangiapane - Lazar - Foo
PLUGS

Kulak - Stone
Kylington - Prout
PLUGS

Gillies
Glass

Essentially, the guys who go to China are the main core that needs to click. You need the new guys to make the trip to improve bonding. You keep a couple NHL Vets at home (Stone, Frols) because you know what those guys will do and you need someone to mentor the guys that are staying with the team. This will be an interesting camp, because the main guys don't get back until the 21st/22nd. So they'll miss 4 games in NA while they're gone to China. Have a feeling they might keep the second line here in Calgary... that being said, I don't know if they do that, because you need to find out who finds chemistry with Mony/Johnny.

That’s my thoughts to. Leave Stone and Frolik here in Calgary. Bring all of Dube, Mangiapgane and Foo, then Rasmus, Kylington and Jusso.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My guess is that this is what we see in China

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Neal, Tkachuk, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski, Ryan, Frolik, Czarnik, Lazar, Hathaway, Mangiapane & Foo for forwards.

Giordano, Brodie, Hamonic, Hanifin, Stone, Andersson, Kulak & Kylington for defensemen.

Smith, Rittich & Gilliss for goaltenders.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They still play games at home, that'll need warm bodies with some experience; My thinking is they'll take:

Almost certain:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Ryan - Czarnik
Kids/Plugs

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valkimaki - Andersson
Kids/Plugs

Smith
Rittich
Parsons

At home they'll keep:

Frolik - Jankowski - Hathaway
Mangiapane - Lazar - Foo
PLUGS

Kulak - Stone
Kylington - Prout
PLUGS

Gillies
Glass

Essentially, the guys who go to China are the main core that needs to click. You need the new guys to make the trip to improve bonding. You keep a couple NHL Vets at home (Stone, Frols) because you know what those guys will do and you need someone to mentor the guys that are staying with the team. This will be an interesting camp, because the main guys don't get back until the 21st/22nd. So they'll miss 4 games in NA while they're gone to China. Have a feeling they might keep the second line here in Calgary... that being said, I don't know if they do that, because you need to find out who finds chemistry with Mony/Johnny.
I'm not going to argue your choices, just point out that Foo is one of the few players with Asian heritage in the NHL, I think he is a lock to be going to China as a result.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Well there's something to be said for playing legitimate prospects against seasoned NHL players. Much easier to make a proper evaluation than if they were playing against a team with 8 veterans and 13 AHL players and first year rookie pros. The Flames brass won't get an opportunity to evaluate players like Valimaki or Foo or Dube again, so early in the preseason, against basically another full roster veteran NHL team... and a good one at that. They'll really be able see how well these guys perform with the regular Flames team.

I agree it’s a really good situation because our prospects have gotten buried in the past in pre-season.

I honestly think it’s a foregone conclusion that Rasmus is an NHLer so I could see him going to China.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My guess is that this is what we see in China

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Neal, Tkachuk, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski, Ryan, Frolik, Czarnik, Lazar, Hathaway, Mangiapane & Foo for forwards.

Giordano, Brodie, Hamonic, Hanifin, Stone, Andersson, Kulak & Kylington for defensemen.

Smith, Rittich & Gilliss for goaltenders.
I just have a feeling that we'll see Valimaki in China. I think the Flames are so high on him that they will give him a real long hard look and give him every opportunity to succeed in the preseason. I'd love to see a Valimaki - Andersson 3rd d-line during preseason to see what they've really got.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I just have a feeling that we'll see Valimaki in China. I think the Flames are so high on him that they will give him a real long hard look and give him every opportunity to succeed in the preseason. I'd love to see a Valimaki - Andersson 3rd d-line during preseason to see what they've really got.

Could see Valimaki easily being the last cut (or non-cut) at camp.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames!es have essentially said he'll be starting in the ah .It makes the most sense to play him with Prout and give him big minutes with the Stockton staff

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not going to argue your choices, just point out that Foo is one of the few players with Asian heritage in the NHL, I think he is a lock to be going to China as a result.

I think he will 100% go for this reason. It would be poor marketing for the league if he didn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad