Post-Game Talk: Flames 2, Penguins 1 - Jarry Deserved Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure why it's so hard for Sid to see the benefit of a blunt object on his line while he creates with a skilled LW.
I personally would love to hear his answer because the guy is a freaking genius when it comes to hockey. He lives the sport. For every single minute I've studied the game, he's put in probably double the time/work and his mind is so brilliant for the game. Sometimes it's too brilliant as nobody else is on the same level.

So ultimately I would kill to hear his reasoning and what he sees. I know he freaking HATES dump-ins. I've seen some mic'd up spots where he keeps telling Horny not to dump it in. But it would be terrible to see Horny try to skate it in at the gray areas.

I doubt he'd ever explain, but I bet you if he gave a 10 minute talk on it, we'd all probably understand his perspective a little more.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Can we maybe give the guy more than the what, 5 games he's been on our roster before we filet him? He's centering what seems like a revolving door of wingers in every game
like I said, I am hoping that he will turn out OK, I was prompted by statements that he looks good on defense and PK which I dispute, He does not! He looks bad. He can have as much time as Bonino had, as far as I am concerned, however I could tell after 5 games that spalinh sucked and he did, same with Goc, etc...but lets hope he turns OK...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
So there are player you do hate "personally"??? Do tell
you're so smart and funny with your comments, and yes there are soem athlets who i just hate, hate their personality, hate how they carry themselves and that soemtimes cloud my judgment how good they actually are, so when I criticize someone for their play I preface by saying that making sure that is not the case. enough explanation for you, or you want a little bit more elaboartion, also english is my seconf language so sometimes I may use not exactly the words that may seem appropriate to you. is that enough explanation, or should I not post here because of my language seems like NHL's theme these days...

is this OK tell for you now...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
you're so smart and funny with your comments, and yes there are soem athlets who i just hate, hate their personality, hate how they carry themselves and that soemtimes cloud my judgment how good they actually are, so when I criticize someone for their play I preface by saying that making sure that is not the case. enough explanation for you, or you want a little bit more elaboartion, also english is my seconf language so sometimes I may use not exactly the words that may seem appropriate to you. is that enough explanation, or should I not post here because of my language seems like NHL's theme these days...

is this OK tell for you now...
I'm sorry

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My thoughts from the game tonight:

- Jarry was excellent, tracked the puck well and kept things simple, threw out the odd bad rebound but he had a great game
- Geno, loved him tonight, he was good and wasnt afraid to carry the puck
- Corrado had a solid game, laid out Backlund on a nice hit
- Sheahan, <snip> one thing with him being with Kessel is it forces Kessel to be the go too guy on his line which is good

Overall I thought the team played well enough to deserve the win, especially Jarry.

A couple thoughts to this.

- While Jarry played a great game... holly crap does he move around a TON in the crease.
- While we all dislike Kuhnhackl on Malkin's line, I wonder if giving him a pair of grinders is forcing him to step up his game? Because I agree with everyone here that said this was one of his best games in the NHL.
- After not seeing the EDM game, Corrado was a pleasant surprise tonight - and no not just for his big hit, although I'd like to see more of that. I want to see more of him.
- Agreed on Kessel/Sheahan. Separating Kessel and Malkin have forced both of them to really step up. Despite the complaints about Sheahan, I think this outweigh's those issues. We want to get back to our game, and get back to scoring. That starts with our stars - Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. Getting these guys involved and playing the right way is a huge step towards that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sully... buddy... I beg you... don't make me hate Kuhn. I've always liked him as a depth guy and scratch forward. But this thing on Malkin's LW is a huge joke. Is this your Craig Adams, or something?

I get some of it in theory. But most I do not. Making Malkin work twice as hard because he has a boat anchor chained to his left skate doesn't actually seem that prudent. I'm good with splitting up Malkin and Kessel. But the configuration they've chosen is asinine, especially if they are actually concerned about scoring at ES.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sully... buddy... I beg you... don't make me hate Kuhn. I've always liked him as a depth guy and scratch forward. But this thing on Malkin's LW is a huge joke. Is this your Craig Adams, or something?

I get some of it in theory. But most I do not. Making Malkin work twice as hard because he has a boat anchor chained to his left skate doesn't actually seem that prudent. I'm good with splitting up Malkin and Kessel. But the configuration they've chosen is asinine, especially if they are actually concerned about scoring at ES.

I don't even get the theory behind it. What, exactly, does Kuhnhackl bring to that line that Sully would even remotely believe it works?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
A couple thoughts to this.

- While Jarry played a great game... holly crap does he move around a TON in the crease.
- While we all dislike Kuhnhackl on Malkin's line, I wonder if giving him a pair of grinders is forcing him to step up his game? Because I agree with everyone here that said this was one of his best games in the NHL.
- After not seeing the EDM game, Corrado was a pleasant surprise tonight - and no not just for his big hit, although I'd like to see more of that. I want to see more of him.
- Agreed on Kessel/Sheahan. Separating Kessel and Malkin have forced both of them to really step up. Despite the complaints about Sheahan, I think this outweigh's those issues. We want to get back to our game, and get back to scoring. That starts with our stars - Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. Getting these guys involved and playing the right way is a huge step towards that.
Exactly.

I think people should settle down a bit about the lines and let these guys find their games in their current circumstances. As Sully would say, it's a process.

Reactions: td_ice

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So is it safe now to say Kuhn is what he is?

There's no untapped potential with Kuhn. He'll chip in some goals while playing mistake-free hockey. This season, though, he's struggled. I'm not saying you throw him in the dumpster, but there are better options than him (Archibald, Simon) right now.

Anyways, this is too much discussion for a player like him. :laugh:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
+ Very pleased with how the team played.
+ Jarry was excellent other than the attempted pass in OT. Should have been an area pass back to Maatta or skated behind the net.
+ Ruh is getting incrementally better each game. I was concerned with how he looked earlier this season compared to last season.
- Sid. I hate having to acknowledge when he has a bad game. I thought he was strong defensively and on the forecheck... until OT.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Can we maybe give the guy more than the what, 5 games he's been on our roster before we filet him? He's centering what seems like a revolving door of wingers in every game

He's been a mess for the last 100 games he's played, though. Yea, he's playing for a different team now but you can't just dismiss his recent history. He's not even playing that well defensively to justify him playing on the third line. His ice time has steadily increased in every game thus far. He played more than 18 mins last night. He's a guy you play 12-13 minutes a game that will be responsible defensively but not add much of anything else. He's exactly what Wings fans said he'd be, unfortunately. I don't think it's a matter of learning our system but he's just not a good player. Unfortunately we don't have any other options and his only competition is McKegg, who is barely an NHL player. So we are stuck with him until management can actually find a legitimate replacement.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I... had hoped it was safe saying that a while ago?

There... there weren't actually people who thought he'd look good in the top six. Right?
there may be one person on the entire board that thought that may be Ok, I mean how could you even try something like that..and I am with you, I loved your previous post, I loved Kuhn when he was filling as #13, what he still is, now I am irritated just hearing his name...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
+ Very pleased with how the team played.
+ Jarry was excellent other than the attempted pass in OT. Should have been an area pass back to Maatta or skated behind the net.
+ Ruh is getting incrementally better each game. I was concerned with how he looked earlier this season compared to last season.
- Sid. I hate having to acknowledge when he has a bad game. I thought he was strong defensively and on the forecheck... until OT.
a lot of people even here have been negative about his game, even in-game posts, I don't know, I kind of really like how he plays, he is our most consistent pincher, he extends the offensive zone time, he is realtively quick back in transition...is he a Norris candidate, nio but is he a #6 solid NHLer fit for Pens game, I think so...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't even get the theory behind it. What, exactly, does Kuhnhackl bring to that line that Sully would even remotely believe it works?

Well, uh... he's German. So, um... very efficient.

I dunno. I got nothing, really. He's a responsible, mistake free player, I guess. Will chip in some occasional offense as a bonus to a 4th line role. That's about it. It's not his fault that he's in way over his head. You'd think the coach would sorta save him from that. Oh well. First Scott Wilson then this, I guess. Seems like Malkin eventually cycles through all the muckers and diggers every season.

Anyway, outside of all that and Crosby playing like dogshit... really encouraging game. I mean... in comparison.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
a lot of people even here have been negative about his game, even in-game posts, I don't know, I kind of really like how he plays, he is our most consistent pincher, he extends the offensive zone time, he is realtively quick back in transition...is he a Norris candidate, nio but is he a #6 solid NHLer fit for Pens game, I think so...

If Ruh was our full time no 6, I wouldn't complain. I'm greedy so I like him as a 7th dman, but I think he has the ability.

I also like having him there for a bit of extra balance in having the right players on the right side.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I was saying the same thing this summer. Then I watched his first couple of games... and it made me wonder. But I agree that he is playing stronger and stronger the more he plays. I somehow suspect that next season we're going to see a 3rd pairing of Maatta/Hunwick - Ruhwedel. And honestly? I think I'll be good with that.

LiquorLicense

Jan 9, 2017
I'm not sure why it's so hard for Sid to see the benefit of a blunt object on his line while he creates with a skilled LW.

Sidney Crosby excels at and values grit and sheer skill equally, but he prefers showcasing his skill more. Deep down he wants a globetrotter first line, whether or not that will ever actually happen.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Exactly.

I think people should settle down a bit about the lines and let these guys find their games in their current circumstances. As Sully would say, it's a process.

Let me get this straight...

You think a coach is putting a bad player on Geno's line on purpose to make him takeover more....?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
If we wanna pick at things we can, but I won't. Should've won the game. Jarry was great, unfortunately Smith was also a beast. I'll take 3 out 4 points in an away back to back.

The continued lack of scoring though, is certainly concerning to me.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

You think a coach is putting a bad player on Geno's line on purpose to make him takeover more....?

I don't really think Kessel is the kind of player that is going to work as well as Malkin as without. Though they are certainly capable of making some pretty ridiculous stuff happen due to their sheer talent.

But to take a guy like that off Malkin's line and replace him with... Kuhnhackl? That shows something of a lack of understanding of Malkin as a player, I think.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

No. I think a coach is creating the circumstances that will lead to getting the most out of Geno and Phil. Kuhn is a safe mucker who he trusts and moving Hags down gives the team a decent 4th line to roll.

Geno and Phil together were relying too much on pure talent, and the rest of their games were suffering. The way to reverse this is to have them carry their respective lines.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No. I think a coach is creating the circumstances that will lead to getting the most out of Geno and Phil. Kuhn is a safe mucker who he trusts and moving Hags down gives the team a decent 4th line to roll.

Geno and Phil together were relying too much on pure talent, and the rest of their games were suffering. The way to reverse this is to have them carry their respective lines.
I think your assessment of 81/71 is fair. I agree there. But I think the reality is that Sully values Kuhn a lot more than people should. He's not putting Kuhn there because he wants to see G do more. He seriously thinks Kuhn is the best option at this point while giving Kessel his own line to spread out scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad