Post-Game Talk: Flames 2, Penguins 1 - Jarry Deserved Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think they'll be fine if they balance out G and Sheahan's lines correctly in terms of more high danger chances thus more ES goals.
When fully healthy:

Sheary/Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust/Phil
Jake/Sheary-Sheahan-Phil/Rust
McKegg-Rowney-Reaves/Kuhn/Archie
Sprong continues to season in the A.

Dumo-Tang
Cole/Maatta-Schultz
Cole/Maatta-Hunwick
Ruh ...and early viewings. now we know Corrado can step in.

Important they get their D back cuz Schultz and Hunwick(playing well) can support the OZ pressure/time which ='s more dangerous scoring chances that'll eventually start going in.

Even just a competent guy like Corrado correctly pinching and winning those pinches has helped. Trotman was losing the majority of his attempts and that meant less OZ time.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I missed the game, but I blame the game winner on Kunitz
So you DID watch it!?
Maatta would have been better off dumping it during the line change. If I’m a coach I’m never telling my players to bring the puck back into your own zone during a line change. Gotta know you have support.

Normally I would agree, but possession is KEY to the 3-3 OT crap. Cant just dump it down. Cant just fight 1 on 3. Cant just wait for support.
TkoCbfj.jpg
Honestly, from center ice here, just flip it into the bench and get a faceoff. 50/50 chance at possession again, and a safer bet. Would they call a penalty if he did that?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
1 point in second game of back to back? Jarry's performance?

Stop whining. Good day for Pens.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We'll we lucky if Kuhn, Sheahan, Reaves, McKegg and Hagelin combined can produce as many points as Bones or Cullen did individually last season.

Half of the forward lineup is just composed of dead beats.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- Pens didn't get killed in a b2b and Jarry looked like the goalie I expected him to be.

- This felt like a game Cullen would have potted a big goal....

- Aside from the practical joke with Kuhn on Malkin's line, I'm pretty happy with the lines and hope Sullivan gives them time to work on chemistry and get out of the 5-5 goal scoring funk.

- Really happy with Reaves game right now. He had 3-4 huge hits, and the one with about six minutes left in the game was insane. I swear the Flames player looked like a crash test dummy when he peeled himself off the glass.

- Kessel plays like a pivot when he is on his own line and he's something special to watch. Last night was another one of those times I had to pinch myself because this team is so unbelievably lucky to have him.

He's been hands down the most engaged of the big three the last couple of weeks and is leading with his play out there.

Reactions: BHD and ColePens

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Sids effort level has been pretty poor lately.

He's getting hell for this play, but no one commented on how he almost cost us the Edmonton game as well. After the missed empty net, he gave an ovechkin like controller disconnected back check. His man was the one that almost put it in off the odd man rush with a few seconds left.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I am NOT crapping on Jarry but just a conversation point: I don't really know where else he thought that shot was going on the GWG. When a guy receives a pass in that area drifting back and takes a second to wind it up/curl it, I would wager he's pretty much always trying to put it top shelf. Not a big deal, but it actually wasn't that high of a shot and Jarry almost saved it anyways and would have if he would'v read it better IMO. Not a goalie here, and again not crapping on him, just talking about this one situation that just happened to be a goal.

Also, on Letang's high stick did the other guy not high stick him as well? I guess they at least thought he just caught him on the shoulder pad, but I thought he did get him high.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Curious as to how you're coming to this conclusion. I'm not even talking about Sheahan here, just how suddenly an AHLer who has zero NHL games is going to solve our #3C issue.
Sheahan sucks no other way around and just to remind you Sheary was an AHLr, Guentz was an AHLer, Rust was an AHLer with 0 NHL experience, and that is HOW WE WON 2 cups, not by having Spalings, and sheahans of the world...

xIronLore

Oct 25, 2017
I am NOT crapping on Jarry but just a conversation point: I don't really know where else he thought that shot was going on the GWG. When a guy receives a pass in that area drifting back and takes a second to wind it up/curl it, I would wager he's pretty much always trying to put it top shelf. Not a big deal, but it actually wasn't that high of a shot and Jarry almost saved it anyways and would have if he would'v read it better IMO. Not a goalie here, and again not crapping on him, just talking about this one situation that just happened to be a goal.

The play happened quick and he was probably a little distracted trying to comprehend what Crosby and Maatta were doing in front of him.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Maatta would have been better off dumping it during the line change. If I’m a coach I’m never telling my players to bring the puck back into your own zone during a line change. Gotta know you have support.
you realized that was 3 on 3? One should never dump the puck 3 on 3, never, Maataa did the right thing and made the only available pass to his own player

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sheahan is as advertised. Good defensively and on the PK. Black hole offensively.

If JR can swing a deal for another center, Sheahan would be a great shutdown 4c imo.

Seeing Sheahan is able to play good D and PK, we should be able to go after a more offensively gifted C. Maybe something around Sheary for Spooner? When he gets healthy.

It also sounds like Toronto is souring on Bozak. Somehow geting him here would be awesome.
I don't hate Sheahan personally and I was looking forward for his revival in Pgh, and who is to say that he won't turn the corner if they are patient enough with him, I don't know any of that, but I watch games and rewatch and watch players carefully, paying attention where they are on each play, so I focused on his defensive play to see what everyone is saying that he is good defensively, and its a joke, he is always step behind the guy he is supposed to trail, he leaves so much gap in defensive zone, he does not have first burst step to get to the offensuive player or to a guy on the blue line, he does nothing, every once in a while when puck bounces somehow to his stick, he makes nice calm first pass, he is good at that...His PK is liability, he is like KUhn, slow to put the pressure but unlike Kuhn, he is never in a lane to block shots....so please if I am mistaken, point me in the right direction how to appreciate Sheahan, I am all ears

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd be open to seeing Guentzel tried at C as well, at this point anything/everything should be tried.

Hagelin, Malkin, Rust
Sheary, Crosby, Hornqvist
McKegg, Guentzel, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Reaves

It's not possible, Crosby won't play with Horny..

Seriously though, disappointed with Crosby's play so far but I suppose it could be linked to shit 5v5 but he's still been poor.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't hate Sheahan personally and I was looking forward for his revival in Pgh, and who is to say that he won't turn the corner if they are patient enough with him, I don't know any of that, but I watch games and rewatch and watch players carefully, paying attention where they are on each play, so I focused on his defensive play to see what everyone is saying that he is good defensively, and its a joke, he is always step behind the guy he is supposed to trail, he leaves so much gap in defensive zone, he does not have first burst step to get to the offensuive player or to a guy on the blue line, he does nothing, every once in a while when puck bounces somehow to his stick, he makes nice calm first pass, he is good at that...His PK is liability, he is like KUhn, slow to put the pressure but unlike Kuhn, he is never in a lane to block shots....so please if I am mistaken, point me in the right direction how to appreciate Sheahan, I am all ears

Can we maybe give the guy more than the what, 5 games he's been on our roster before we filet him? He's centering what seems like a revolving door of wingers in every game

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's why you attach 72 to Sid's hip the entire season. Don't let him control it in 1-3 games. Let him figure it out. He will be fine. Same with Tangers as we saw last night. Better game with limited mental errors.

And our scoring will eventually start... I hope. :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sid will play with Horny if Sully puts them together, but it won't last long even though they'll be effective together. Eventually, for whatever reason, they will be split up despite working well together and likely being productive.

I'm pretty sure Sid hates playing with a guy like Hornqvist who only really brings a net-front presence and chaos around the crease. Hornqvist isn't a good skater, not a good passer, and doesn't have an elite shot. For as much as I love the guy and think he's exceptional at what he does, I'm sure a guy like Sid is frustrated playing with him.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
- Pens didn't get killed in a b2b and Jarry looked like the goalie I expected him to be.

- This felt like a game Cullen would have potted a big goal....

- Aside from the practical joke with Kuhn on Malkin's line, I'm pretty happy with the lines and hope Sullivan gives them time to work on chemistry and get out of the 5-5 goal scoring funk.

- Really happy with Reaves game right now. He had 3-4 huge hits, and the one with about six minutes left in the game was insane. I swear the Flames player looked like a crash test dummy when he peeled himself off the glass.

- Kessel plays like a pivot when he is on his own line and he's something special to watch. Last night was another one of those times I had to pinch myself because this team is so unbelievably lucky to have him.

He's been hands down the most engaged of the big three the last couple of weeks and is leading with his play out there.

Agree, but I would like to add one point.

-Felt like a game where Sprong might have potted 2 big goals.....

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Sid will play with Horny if Sully puts them together, but it won't last long even though they'll be effective together. Eventually, for whatever reason, they will be split up despite working well together and likely being productive.

I'm pretty sure Sid hates playing with a guy like Hornqvist who only really brings a net-front presence and chaos around the crease. Hornqvist isn't a good skater, not a good passer, and doesn't have an elite shot. For as much as I love the guy and think he's exceptional at what he does, I'm sure a guy like Sid is frustrated playing with him.

That's why you flank him with a guy like Sheary/Guentzel, so Sid CAN play a little bit of transition game when the opportunity presents

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That's why you flank him with a guy like Sheary/Guentzel, so Sid CAN play a little bit of transition game when the opportunity presents
I mean, I'm all for Guentzel-Sid-Hornqvist. I think that'd be a fantastic line. But it's not up to me, it's up to Sullivan and to a degree, Sid himself.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm not too concerned about the scoring. They're taking the puck to the net and getting second (sometime third) chance opportunities on them. Both goalies were focused and both teams locked it in during the third period. I think last night was a tight game, and the Pens happened to be on the wrong side of it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not sure why it's so hard for Sid to see the benefit of a blunt object on his line while he creates with a skilled LW.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

So there are player you do hate "personally"??? Do tell

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm not sure why it's so hard for Sid to see the benefit of a blunt object on his line while he creates with a skilled LW.
I think it's less about that potential and more about the lack of creativity, foot-speed, or ability to create on his own with regard to his shot/pass. That's why Sid gets frustrated with Hornqvist, I'd imagine.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Yeah, it angers me to no end to see Olli Maatta skating into the neutral zone, all calm like it's no biggie, loses control of the puck, Bryan Rust is to his left wondering what the heck he is doing, then he promptly skates RIGHT INTO THE FLAMES trio and traps himself, then skates back to pass it to Jarry, Maatta than circles behind Jarry and he can clearly tell Maatta is having a field day with the puck so Jarry assumes, ok I'll pass it, sees Sid, Sid just acts like the horse's ass he's been this season and he loses the puck and skates around to keep going the other way until he quickly realizes his mistake and comes back and it's all over.

Like...this is where millennials say "Can't even..."

Look at this...

816u9dv.jpg

FWL0k3S.jpg

TkoCbfj.jpg

Exactly. That sequence all started with Maatta. Should Crosby get some of the blame? Of course. 100% of it? Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad