GDT: FLAMES (18-14-7) VS. ISLANDERS (22-16-2) | 7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Just win baby!

giphy.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'll take a comfortable boring win why not. All business.

Liked Zohorna, Coleman, and Kadri. Also thought Weegar-Tanev had themselves a nice night. Good to see the MBC line getting rewarded offensively, another dominant possession game from them.

Bad : powerplay, the Islanders.

I know he didn't steal us the game or anything but that was a nice starting goalie game from Markstrom. Looked confident back there and was moving well. Not a lot of rebounds, cutting down angles, yknow #1G stuff. If this team is going to make the playoffs he's going to be a big part of it because honestly there's not a ton of offensive talent up front.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I've been shitting on markstrom a lot, but the dudes been good lately. He's stats isn't that impressive but he's making those clutch saves when the team needs it, which is what really separates an avg starter to a really good one.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I know everyone is saying Backlund, But Naz has a claim to the Captaincy throne I think too.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I've been shitting on markstrom a lot, but the dudes been good lately. He's stats isn't that impressive but he's making those clutch saves when the team needs it, which is what really separates an avg starter to a really good one.
The guy has a 2.35 GAA in his last 11 games over the last month. That stat is very impressive, he just hasn’t been getting the run support Vladar has which is why he isn’t piling up the points despite putting up better numbers. If Markstrom can maintain his play, we are going to win a lot of hockey games for the rest of the season.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
The guy has a 2.35 GAA in his last 11 games over the last month. That stat is very impressive, he just hasn’t been getting the run support Vladar has which is why he isn’t piling up the points despite putting up better numbers. If Markstrom can maintain his play, we are going to win a lot of hockey games for the rest of the season.
I care more about save percentage, which was around .910 when they showed he's stats last. Which is good, but not amazing. But regardless, it's him making the key saves when needed that's impressing me rn.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Markstrom has played well recently

I am still not convinced he can be clutch on close important game.

Dude is mental

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Way to get the W boys! In the short while I watched it was pretty boring and I kept falling asleep (been working a lot). Anyway glad for the 2 pts. Somehow we keep crawling up the standings. Keep it going!

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Markstrom has played well recently

I am still not convinced he can be clutch on close important game.

Dude is mental
Now is the time to trade him. Wolf is still the guy that could push this team to that elite level imo and Vladar is more than capable as a platoon

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I care more about save percentage, which was around .910 when they showed he's stats last. Which is good, but not amazing. But regardless, it's him making the key saves when needed that's impressing me rn.
I mean guy has allowed 2 goals or less in 9 of his last 14 starts, and only allowed more than 3 twice. His save percentage doesn’t overly matter with results like that, he’s giving us a chance to win almost every game he’s played going back to mid November. Stats aside though the eye test has been extremely solid, finally looks like last season Markstrom again.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Now is the time to trade him. Wolf is still the guy that could push this team to that elite level imo and Vladar is more than capable as a platoon
I think Vladar will have significant value at the draft; no NTC or NMC and signed for two years at 2.2. We should be able to get an equivalent young forward or dman in return. You deal from depth and with Markstrom, Vladar and Wolf you can make a n advantageous trade.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Vladar will have significant value at the draft; no NTC or NMC and signed for two years at 2.2. We should be able to get an equivalent young forward or dman in return. You deal from depth and with Markstrom, Vladar and Wolf you can make a n advantageous trade.
Agreed but it shouldn’t be Wolf. Markstrom would be ideal. We might not get much in return but that cap space would be huge

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Markstrom's biggest obstacle from a stats perspective is the fact that this team allows quality, but not quantity. The last time he faced more than 30 shots was in Montreal.

Hard to generate a good save percentage that way without sprinkling in shutouts, but he hasn't been getting the protection needed to do that.

Regardless, he's the most reliable goalie we've had since Kipper. Throwing that away to gamble with a rookie could work, but it could also be a disaster. Besides, when was the last time a goalie with term got traded? Luongo?

Reactions: Yepthatsme

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Markstrom's biggest obstacle from a stats perspective is the fact that this team allows quality, but not quantity. The last time he faced more than 30 shots was in Montreal.

Hard to generate a good save percentage that way without sprinkling in shutouts, but he hasn't been getting the protection needed to do that.

Regardless, he's the most reliable goalie we've had since Kipper. Throwing that away to gamble with a rookie could work, but it could also be a disaster. Besides, when was the last time a goalie with term got traded? Luongo?
He’s a solid goalie for sure and has been great lately. I thought last night might have been his best.

Doesn’t change the fact we have two really good NHL caliber goalies behind him. Wolf is a special talent. IMO playing him is the easiest way to get this team to the next level.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

This is not empirically backed whatsoever. It's fine if you want to say this is a "gut feeling" of yours, but to say this is backed statistically is blatantly false. xGA, HDCA, SCA, and CA are all are better than the league average for the Calgary Flames, while Markstrom's GSAA is below league average. Some of those are "quantity" stats, but others do reflect quality too. You want to say those are "flawed", fine so be it. But there is nothing in the stats available to the public to suggest this team gives up unreasonable quality chances.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Hoping he gets an extended look. With Backlund & Coleman ideally, but he does have some chemistry with Zohorna. Maybe they go with Pett/Ruz/Zoho line at times?

oops, tyhis was suppossed to be in the Pelletier thread, can a mod move it please?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is not empirically backed whatsoever. It's fine if you want to say this is a "gut feeling" of yours, but to say this is backed statistically is blatantly false. xGA, HDCA, SCA, and CA are all are better than the league average for the Calgary Flames, while Markstrom's GSAA is below league average. Some of those are "quantity" stats, but others do reflect quality too. You want to say those are "flawed", fine so be it. But there is nothing in the stats available to the public to suggest this team gives up unreasonable quality chances.
It's not a gut feeling. I don't know why you want to keep trying to make this about those shot location stats. It's never been about that and we've already had the discussion. Those stats represent the industry's current best approximation of actually watching every chance to determine how difficult it was for the goalie. They are not currently a replacement, and those who use those stats professionally know that.

Giving up shots in different locations should lead to league-average results if the defending team treats them in a league-average way. If you allow guys to find a lane and screen the goalie on point shots, the SV% is going to go down. If the slot shots you allow are uncontested and guys get to pick their spot, SV% is going to go down. If the chances from point blank are frequently breakaways and odd-man rushes instead of off-balance swipes at a loose puck, SV% is going to go down. If your shots from the circle are from seam-passes to one-timers instead of hopeful wristers because other options are shot down, SV% is going to go down.

There have been a handful of games where the other team have allowed the Flames the same quality of chances that they routinely have given up to the opposition, and in those games the Flames have scored a whole bunch of goals. That isn't a coincidence.

What I'm talking about boils down to saying "what the f*** why are we allowing that chance" or "damn, Markstrom didn't have much of a chance on that one" waaay too often every game, even while keeping shot totals low. Last game was a perfect example of it, except Markstrom saved more of those chances than he reasonably should have based on probability. If just one of those breakaways or breakdowns had gone in, then you're looking at a sub-900 SV% yet again through 40 minutes, and not really because of how Markstrom was playing.

Earlier in the season the games were very similar in terms of chances. We'd have given up 5 ten-bellers which were either impossible or near-impossible to save and two would have gone in on like 12 shots. And everyone would be shitting on Markstrom. Just makes me shake my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad