GDT: Flames (13-11-4) at Canadiens (13-12-2) SN, The Jake Allening: Part 2

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This team is bizarre. Even under ward and gully and Peters they didn't play got stretches where they have such poor basic skills.

It seemed like for every woof reaction to the game, it was preceded by a whiff. I've never experienced that before. Even under Gully when they crashed into each other and stuff they didn't lose the puck in their legs as often or whiff or miss passes by 10 feet repeatedly.

Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This team is bizarre. Even under ward and gully and Peters they didn't play got stretches where they have such poor basic skills.
I would like to challenge that. Which season was it where we scored like 1 goal in 4 games? I think it might have been the stretch leading up to the Bill Peters investigation.

There have been bad ones for sure under basically all of those head coaches, but they always pass. This, too, will pass... you would think.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

It seemed like for every woof reaction to the game, it was preceded by a whiff. I've never experienced that before. Even under Gully when they crashed into each other and stuff they didn't lose the puck in their legs as often or whiff or miss passes by 10 feet repeatedly.

I said it before, but this is the first time since the team's inception that I can remember not having a player who can rush the puck up the ice and cross their blue line on his own. Backlund might be the best at it. I'm trusting Huberdeau gets better but I don't think that's part of his game, I could be wrong.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would like to challenge that. Which season was it where we scored like 1 goal in 4 games? I think it might have been the stretch leading up to the Bill Peters investigation.

There have been bad ones for sure under basically all of those head coaches, but they always pass. This, too, will pass... you would think.

I seem to recall in that time period it was more turnovers and giveaways or interception than flubs and losing the puck so often.

I remember Fricken Gully's system with 3 guys standing on the blue line waiting for a player to thread through a gap of 8 guys hanging around the blue line.

I remember turtling and being hemmed in.

This game felt like it had more stick handling failures than a beer league game. It literally felt like the team was drunk at the wheel for extended stretches. I've never seen a game with this much poor awareness before.

You'd have muffins miss the net and then Ritchie rifle one into a teammate skates. Toffoli, Mangiapane and a few others lost it in his skates a few times.

It felt like were more fans on the ice than flames fans in the stands.

Backlund great opportunity on PK and then where the puck go?

Kadri didn't know where Suzuki was and collided into him.

So bizarre.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I said it before, but this is the first time since the team's inception that I can remember not having a player who can rush the puck up the ice and cross their blue line on his own. Backlund might be the best at it. I'm trusting Huberdeau gets better but I don't think that's part of his game, I could be wrong.

You know what? Tweak the system. Instead of carrying or dunno and chase, rifle pucks at goalie from blue line and then chase the puck where the goalie pushes it since we coast in anyways on dump and chase.

We either get lucky or the goalie freezes it and it's ozone face off.

Lose possession, perhaps. But it seems like we're pretty good at digging pucks out of scrums and maintaining ozone pressure on face offs, but poor at dump and chase or carrying it in. Mixing it up could be to our benefit. The grinders could wear down the oppositions during the scrums or our guys could blow them up and mash them into pulp when they get possession in the ozone. It might be suicide passes galore from the opposition if we played that way.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I mean, Kadri’s line is second in the entire NHL in shots off the rush, and I’m pretty sure 80% of their goals so far have been scored off the rush as well.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Bruins fan here and I'm pissed I wanted to flames to win tonight. Markstrom stood on his head and got no help. Heads should roll. That's a ugly loss. Markstrom was unbelievable what a performance.
We just played our 3rd game in 4 nights, where the refs decided over that span we committed 20 penalties while the other teams committed 13, and tonight we were missing our 1C and 3 top 4 defenseman by the end. Don’t think anyone is getting fired for getting 1 out of 2 points in that brutal situation.

Reactions: Boomstick

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Flames turnovers are horrendous, constantly turning the puck over trying to make the pass up the middle, in all zones on the ice.

Flames take atrocious penalties, at the worst times.

Flames play completely lazy at times. I’m thinking the CBJ game especially, with next to zero effort, and absolute zero intensity until 3 minutes remaining…. Shouts complete lack of leadership.

Overall good goaltending.

My quick summary of the flames so far
Figure it the F out flames, time is quickly running out.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Flames turnovers are horrendous, constantly turning the puck over trying to make the pass up the middle, in all zones on the ice.

Flames take atrocious penalties, at the worst times.

Flames play completely lazy at times. I’m thinking the CBJ game especially, with next to zero effort, and absolute zero intensity until 3 minutes remaining…. Shouts complete lack of leadership.

Overall good goaltending.

My quick summary of the flames so far
Figure it the F out flames, time is quickly running out.
Oilers are 7-13 on the season when they don’t score 5 goals in a game, and two of those wins still needed 3-3 OT. I’d worry about the Oilers problems for now when the ‘score 5 goals or lose’ strategy stops working if I were you.

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Oilers are 7-13 on the season when they don’t score 5 goals in a game, and two of those wins still needed 3-3 OT. I’d worry about the Oilers problems for now when the ‘score 5 goals or lose’ strategy stops working if I were you.
Sorry but… w.thaaaa.F are you talking about? Why should I give 2 f’s about the oilers? I hope they don’t win one more flippin game and get Bedard as #1, only to see them blow another first overall.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Sorry but… w.thaaaa.F are you talking about? Why should I give 2 f’s about the oilers? I hope they don’t win one more flippin game and get Bedard as #1, only to see them blow another first overall.
That’s on me, I saw Oil in the name and some hilariously negative takes and exaggerations, and I thought of every single Oilers fan talking about the Flames across the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad