Post-Game Talk: Flaccid in Florida!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My issue is that I am not sure MTL has as much talent as some people here think.
Again some posters are asking us to treat Suzuki CC Dach Newhook as if they were in their D+2. Fact is that they are not, they are D+7 and 5 ! How much more development is there to their game ? Can Dach be healthy ?
The Habs' future D looks as good as any team's. The biggest question is scoring. A healthy Dach will help a lot, assuming he becomes the #1C he looked like before being hurt. The clock is a long way from ticking on Suzuki, Caufield and Newhook, who are just entering their prime.

We have a good base, but it's not enough for a contending team. Hughes still needs to add a couple of 20-30-goal forwards to give Montreal a fighting chance in the playoffs. Whether those top forwards come from our prospects, trades, or UFAs, he needs to do what no other Montreal GM has done in decades.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We have replaced Koivu and Plekanec with Suzuki and we replaced Pacioretty with Caufield, same tier of players and there is no superstar in sight. One difference this time around is our defense, we are well stocked with some promising players and hopefully, one or more of them can be moved for help on offence.
... and no Carey Price

I expect a playoff team when our top players and prospects are actually playing on the team. Reinbacher, Hutson, Mesar, Mailloux aren't even in the NHL yet. Dach – the Habs' best player, IMO – is out. Slafkovsky remains a big mystery box. And then there are the great trades we make for ______ and ______, not to mention surprising draft picks ______, ______, and ______ – coming in the next three years.

As for the UFA thing, Caufield and Suzuki are signed until 2031 and 2030 – a little further than 'on the verge'. That said, I'm not planning a parade. We've been overrating our prospects forever; I don't dismiss the possibility that this crop will fizzle into mediocrity like the previous 'Can't Miss!" names. But the people who follow these things closer than I do uniformly believe this group is really good, if not elite. I'll defer to their judgment for now, and I'll reserve my own judgment on Hughes based on how he fills in the blanks above.
Well said but from another angle you can figure Suzuki-Caufield-Guhle is as good as you can expect from a hypothetical three consecutive tank years, followed by Slafkovsky (+Hutson), Dach, Reinbacher, and XXX to come. Giving them three years from today before expecting playoffs seems excessive. Three years won't change the fact none of the above seem to be on track to be PPG players.,

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
When will Marty punish Armia? 4 straight games with a minor and they are all stupid and lazy penalties. Why is there no accountability?

I mean they sent Xhekaj down because of all of the penalties he took, but it doesn’t count for this bum who has always had the reputation of being stupid and lazy. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
When will Marty punish Armia? 4 straight games with a minor and they are all stupid and lazy penalties. Why is there no accountability?

I mean they sent Xhekaj down because of all of the penalties he took, but it doesn’t count for this bum who has always had the reputation of being stupid and lazy. I don’t get it.
This is how all the previous coaches "developed" habs' youth. Worked great. Why change?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If the core truly is Suzuki CC Dach Newhook Guhle Barron Slaf Reinbacher Hutson, it should be closer to contending than they are now.
I don't know if you noticed this or not but Dach is out for the f***ing year lol

It's not like he's out there and we're still struggling offensively..
Obviously the team would be looking much better out there if we had, you know, one of our 3 BEST players out on the ice..?

But no let's whine about how we lost.. but the rebuild is going bad...? So.. we should be winning..?
Like people can't even make up their minds about what to be upset about lmao
It's truly fascinating

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't know if you noticed this or not but Dach is out for the f***ing year lol

It's not like he's out there and we're still struggling offensively..
Obviously the team would be looking much better out there if we had, you know, one of our 3 BEST players out on the ice..?

But no let's whine about how we lost.. but the rebuild is going bad...? So.. we should be winning..?
Like people can't even make up their minds about what to be upset about lmao
It's truly fascinating
Yes and Dach has not shown the ability to stay healthy yet is assumed to be MTL 1C and savior. How do you know if he ll ever be healthy over 82 games ?

As mentioned at the start of the season I don t care about MTL winning this year, but I want to see improvments on the ice and I don t see them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad